Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, studiotax is now certified. If only TD Waterhouse would provide me with my tax forms, I'd be able to send in my taxes.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I was able to submit two returns for kids (under 18) on studiotax without paying a fee. I was waiting for it to ask for payment, but it never did. Still free for minors?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I was able to submit two returns for kids (under 18) on studiotax without paying a fee. I was waiting for it to ask for payment, but it never did. Still free for minors?
They said any tax return with less then $20,000 of annual income was still free. Any of your kids big bread winners? Perhaps they have an exception for under 18 as well.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
They said any tax return with less then $20,000 of annual income was still free. Any of your kids big bread winners? Perhaps they have an exception for under 18 as well.
Must be the $20,000 limit. They‘re well below that....just their first summer job.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Just updated my 2020 Studio Tax - Latest build was as of yesterday.

I also downloaded Genutax, which is now available.

I am going to run both and see how they compare. Used ST for years though!

It will be a while before we will have all the tax slips.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Even if they're over that you get 20 returns for that $15 fee.

As they stated, they just want to make enough money to make it worthwhile.
I knew about the fee and was prepared to pay it, but it let me file before collecting the fee. Wasn’t sure if a glitch or something else. Found out it’s income tested.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Just so you know, I think the $20,000 income level for a free netfile submission might actually be a $40,000 combined return minimum for a free submission. My wife was under the $20,000 limit but when I went to netfile her return they asked for payment because my income put it all above $40,000.

Not a big sacrifice. The $15 is also subject to HST.

Happy filing everyone.

·
Registered
698 Posts
@agent99 I'm the same as you - used ST for many years. For kicks I tried out Genutax and was very frustrated with it. It is interview-only style, and took me through many steps that weren't relevant to me. Once finished, you can get to a specific section (which just takes you back to that point in the interview).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts