Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Trudeau announced a grant for students who do volunteer work between now and Oct. 31. They can earn $1000 for every 100 hours of volunteer work they do.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/student-grant-trudeau-1.5626475
Yesterday, I saw a news item on this with students COMPLAINING about it. They want the money but some are complaining about it requiring too many hours and that there wasn't enough time available. I can't find a link but I most definitely did see a couple of students being interviewed and saying, 'we need the money for textbooks, etc. but' and then going on to say 'too many hours' and 'not enough time'.

So I did the math. To get the full $5k, they would need to work 500 hours. That translates to 12.5 weeks at 40 hours per week. If they started next week, they would have 18 weeks to do it in. Seems more than doable to me.

So I have to ask myself what is the real basis of their complaining?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could it be that the real reason they are complaining is because $1000 for 100 hours works out to only getting paid $10 per hour?

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
They also receive $1250 a month, but the reality is that the non profits probably don't have 40 hours a week to offer students.

Even so, if they could volunteer 100 hours a month they would get $2250 a month. No bad for spending 25 hours a week with a non profit.

The problem isn't the jobs or the students. It is that post secondary education costs too much.

Ever visit Western University in London LTA ? You can smell the money soaked in there.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Wow, this is crazy entitlement. My kids could volunteer that much but don’t qualify because they are too young.

Could it be that the real reason they are complaining is because $1000 for 100 hours works out to only getting paid $10 per hour?
Since it is a grant, it is tax free so it would be more than $10/hour. Mind you teenagers get paid more than that for babysitting. Still in this economy, this is a great program

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Of course there is that whole conflict of interest thing.

They should have just run a modified summer grant program.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, this is crazy entitlement. My kids could volunteer that much but don’t qualify because they are too young.

Since it is a grant, it is tax free so it would be more than $10/hour. Mind you teenagers get paid more than that for babysitting. Still in this economy, this is a great program
I agree with the 'entitlement' that seems to be the attitude of some of these young people.

I have a Grandchild stuck in England where she was doing a second degree in law. When the pandemic came along, it was initially unclear what would happen with universities etc. They went to online courses and limped through the end of the school term. By that time, Canada had closed down to travel and she has been unable to get back to Canada, even if she was willing to risk the travel. Her parents, continue to pay for ALL of her costs of living and continue to tell her to 'stay home as much as possible.'

She isn't looking for a summer job and her parents would be very upset if she did since it would increase the risk t her health. Where are the parents of all these students complaining about not having summer jobs this year and what is the attitude of these parents to the idea of their children going out and exposing themselves to greater risk?

Younger people have been led to believe they are invincible and immortal more or less in regards to the virus. This is simply not true. While death rates in younger people are far less than in the elderly, the risk of a young person contracting the virus remains high and the outcome can be very serious indeed. We hear about 'recovery' numbers but few understand that 'recovered' simply refers to not dying, it does not mean a 100% recovery with no longer term affects.

This is the type of article my son sends to his daughter to read and understand.

The risk may be low but it exists and I would rather send my Granddaughter $5k if my son couldn't afford to do so, than have her get a summer job and expose herself to that risk when it is unnecessary.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
My daughter is 17 but I do not want her working as I am in a high risk category for covid .And for her to work for $10 an hour it would not be worth it for us as we are not living in a good transit area.I rather have her learn a new language which is what she is doing with spare time online .Kids are able to make $15 a hour just working at burger king why work for $10 for the government money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts