Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I find this site (Costco West Fan Blog) helpful to see what is on sale at Costco. (This is for stores in Western Canada - not sure about further East). You can pay a fee and see what is on sale earlier in the week or just go with the freebee site to see whether it is worth a trip to the store.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
And you are missing that I'm saying that for items I have priced that are the same size - I've found Costc to be more expensive. Which is why I leave them behind. ;)

I've also checked some of the larger size items where after adjusting for size - the price is the same or more expensive.
Yes, I'm missing that, because you actually didn't say that.
My position is that Costo likes to have higher dollar items, and push to higher transaction amounts.

regarding unit price being higher at Costco, I haven't found that to be the case, except sometimes with the fresh meat in some cases, but there I think its fresher/higher quality.
Some of the other fresh produce might be a bit more expensive, but with dry goods, such an occurance is very rare.

·
Administrator
4,940 Posts
regarding unit price being higher at Costco, I haven't found that to be the case, except sometimes with the fresh meat in some cases, but there I think its fresher/higher quality.
Definitely happens ... couple of quick examples,
  • Kraft Peanut was $1 cheaper at grocery store
  • Skipjack tuna is always more expensive than grocery store, $2-3 per 6 pack more.

I'm sure there are many other examples but most of the time Costco is cheaper.

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Today I used a raincheck that I had been holding onto for 25 days.

The product is currently priced at 3.49, so buying 4 would have cost $13.96
Instead I used my raincheck for 2.22, so they only cost me $8.88

That's a cool $5 savings.

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
Yup 2kg of Kraft smooth, $.9.99 Costco, $8.97 Walmart.

There is a reason I hold Walmart stock.
... just saw this.

Of course, you would hold Walmart stocks but I'm surprised you don't on Costco stocks (?listed?).

Either way, prices for that "2kg Kraft smooth" is alot NOT cheaper than Shoppers at $2.99 for the 1 kg. Mind you, it's not the brand-name "Kraft" at Shoppers but unless you love peanut butter ALOT (which I do) and plan to eat it for breakfast, lunch and snack time (aka quickly), that's ALOT of peanut butter to consume.

Or is it because Costco sells that peanut butter with the cute Kraft glass teddy bear that's attracting the buyers?

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
Today I used a raincheck that I had been holding onto for 25 days.

The product is currently priced at 3.49, so buying 4 would have cost $13.96
Instead I used my raincheck for 2.22, so they only cost me $8.88

That's a cool $5 savings.
... do you get a 36% off for that raincheck too? If so, holy dinaros.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts