Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
... I went to US Safeway once and everything had sales tags that looked like fireworks and explosions everywhere. But you don't actually get any sale prices unless you join the Safeway club.

The only club worth joining imo is Costco
I'd have thought that would be better as the ones in Florida had a key fob that cut the time versus flyers to next to nothing. For the items I checked, though - it was more like the regular price was cheaper and the club price was cheaper still.

In some cases, it was get a second item for ten cents. The one I saw in march was that the club member had a 20% lower price.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
It was the first or second link that Google retrieved and the first that listed the 10% discount.

Cheers
.. in which case I better double-check directly with FoodBasics (bookmarked) either on their website or their CSR. I hope you're aware some of those links from Google are outdated.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I'd have thought that would be better as the ones in Florida had a key fob that cut the time versus flyers to next to nothing. For the items I checked, though - it was more like the regular price was cheaper and the club price was cheaper still.

In some cases, it was get a second item for ten cents. The one I saw in march was that the club member had a 20% lower price.
I find things are always so mislabeled or strategically placed that you just end up paying full price for a second item you didn't want in the first place

Either the label/cashier was wrong or placed such that you grabbed one of the many very similar item and after a cart full of stuff and 10 people lined up behind you 99% of people just get gamed by the system

The western grocery store is peak gamification of marketing. The Karens love places like Safeway and even they get gamed to buy more than they need.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I'd give that poor lady $20 to not waste everyone's time with flyers

Unless she had a Karen haircut and asked for the manager - then I'd record it all for the internet views. There should be a special line for Karens and couponers

I went to US Safeway once and everything had sales tags that looked like fireworks and explosions everywhere. But you don't actually get any sale prices unless you join the Safeway club.

The only club worth joining imo is Costco
Would you transfer her $1000 for the year? When I was heavy in the couponing, rainchecks and flyers, was saving about $100 week almost 40% of our grocery bill at the time. In US, I did there for a couple of months, they have insane coupons and flyer deals, it was closer to 60% It was rather eye opening how much one could save. I had to be super organized in order not to upset any one, I always did it less busy times. I was on mat leave, and my spouse was laid off, so we had the time, now, I don't do it very much, unless it's a big deal.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I'm not regularly in any stores, mainly sportchek, because I have to sharpen my skates, or Costco.
Otherwise, why bother going in?
Even at Sport chek there's ways to get cheaper skate sharpening. They had skates sharpening card for a discount, then they had some Black Friday special that included the cards once, that if you spend enough you got another percentage off. My spouse bought almost a thousands dollars worth of skate sharpening for less than 1/2 price. That was 2018/2019 and he still has about the 1/2 the cards. He says it was better than some of the other investments we made on the market. :p

You can also get rainchecks on Costco sale items too if they sell out and restock or at another store, if you can't get there during the sale.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Rainchecks might become more useful during this period of high inflation. What I'm doing is watching for items I want on sale. I'll buy a few, but usually the store shelf goes bare (supply chain issues).

Now I can get a raincheck for the item. At the grocery store, this is good for 30 days.

But here's the kicker. If the item is still out of stock and the raincheck is expiring, you can ask them to renew the raincheck.
I am pretty strategic with alot of my grocery shopping. I have used rainchecks in the past where the item is sold out, or I want to stock but don't have the room. I have gotten multiple rainchecks in smaller quantities and used them later. It used to be for 90 days, but many places are only 30, some may or may not renew. Now, I only get the rainchecks on the really good deals mainly due to time.

I have found even shopping sales, the items have gone up easily 25% on the best price. I will use coupons, flyer match, etc. I keep a pretty large supply of groceries in my house, so it allows me to adjust my shopping habits.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I find things are always so mislabeled or strategically placed that you just end up paying full price for a second item you didn't want in the first place

Either the label/cashier was wrong or placed such that you grabbed one of the many very similar item and after a cart full of stuff and 10 people lined up behind you 99% of people just get gamed by the system ...
Interesting ... I can recall maybe a handful of times having labeling problems in about two decades.
I've also told the cashier I'm from Canada, expecting to be billed the regular price where instead a bar code kept at the register was scanned to give me the member/rewards price that was lower.

I did misread the prices in a drug store in NY state where I was said to the clerk to keep it. The person behind me said to swipe their membership instead.

The western grocery store is peak gamification of marketing. The Karens love places like Safeway and even they get gamed to buy more than they need.
It seems to be built into Costco's system from the package sizes. ;)

I'm wondering if it's a Safeway or western thing.
Though I didn't notice much of this in LA or San Francisco either.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Interesting ... I can recall maybe a handful of times having labeling problems in about two decades.
I've also told the cashier I'm from Canada, expecting to be billed the regular price where instead a bar code kept at the register was scanned to give me the member/rewards price that was lower.

I did misread the prices in a drug store in NY state where I was said to the clerk to keep it. The person behind me said to swipe their membership instead.

It seems to be built into Costco's system from the package sizes. ;)

I'm wondering if it's a Safeway or western thing.
Though I didn't notice much of this in LA or San Francisco either.

Cheers
I think the point with Costco is to maximize revenue per transaction, and Dollars per Second.
Most items are $20+. Few items are Below $10.
In the time Walmart rings up a grocery cart of $100, Costco rings up a cart of $300-400.
Why sell a $5 bottle of mouthwash when you can sell a $20 two pack? They both take about the same time to scan.

Really if the cashier is scanning 300%+ as much dollar value, it is easy to justify pay 50% more.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hmmm ... I seem to buy mostly the up to $20 items.

The "Why sell a $5 bottle of mouthwash when you can sell a $20 two pack?" is an example of what I leave behind. If I can get a bottle for $5 then I don't want a two pack - I want a four pack or more for the same size bottles. :)

Gas that's anywhere from 3 cents to 22 cents a litre cheaper with 5% cash back will keep me coming back. But if it's more expensive, I see no reason to buy. If it's the same price and sometimes better quality, I'll buy anyway.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Really if the cashier is scanning 300%+ as much dollar value, it is easy to justify pay 50% more.
Hadn't thought of it that way. But yea, labour is expensive

I don't find the self-checkouts any faster because you always have to call a cashier to do something holding up others anyways. Also it is well known that people scam the walmart self-checkout system very easily. They just learn scan something cheaper of similar weight

So you either pay someone to watch the self-checkout or accept the petty theft

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Hadn't thought of it that way. But yea, labour is expensive

I don't find the self-checkouts any faster because you always have to call a cashier to do something holding up others anyways. Also it is well known that people scam the walmart self-checkout system very easily. They just learn scan something cheaper of similar weight

So you either pay someone to watch the self-checkout or accept the petty theft
At our local high theft store the scale on the checkouts have been disabled.

I don't think walmart is too concerned.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Very possible it's not worth the time
Of course it is. We routinely used 3 - 6 coupons saving several dollars at a time. It adds less than a minute to our checkout time. If it's even just $3 saved that $180 an hour.

If the person behind me gets upset, I don't care. I spend far more time waiting for people digging for pennies in their purse, blocking the aisle, or talking in their cell phone instead of getting out of the way

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Hmmm ... I seem to buy mostly the up to $20 items.

The "Why sell a $5 bottle of mouthwash when you can sell a $20 two pack?" is an example of what I leave behind. If I can get a bottle for $5 then I don't want a two pack - I want a four pack or more for the same size bottles. :)
You're missing that the $10 bottles at costco are 4x the size of the $5 bottles at walmart.
The idea is that you buy for a month or two, instead of a week or two.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Of course it is. We routinely used 3 - 6 coupons saving several dollars at a time. It adds less than a minute to our checkout time. If it's even just $3 saved that $180 an hour.

If the person behind me gets upset, I don't care. I spend far more time waiting for people digging for pennies in their purse, blocking the aisle, or talking in their cell phone instead of getting out of the way
I agree with you, I think it's worth the time and I will be continuing to use coupons and rainchecks.

It adds up over time as you say.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Not really couponing, but still a good deal.

I have a CTC MasterCard, and buy a lot of stuff on it to spin of Canadian Tire money.
Another deal like I mentioned up-thread in post 8 came in last weeks CTC flyer.
Buy $250 or more of goods in one trip last Thursday only, and get $40 bonus CTC money

So I bought our version of the non-perishable household staples.
We normal shop for at CTC for these items anyways:

Big laundry detergent on sale
Auto dish wash detergent x2
Hand dish detergent x2
Boxes of fridge pack baking soda x4
House brand AA alkaline batteries x40
OW40 5L motor oil on sale
12 pack kleenex on sale
24 pack toilet paper on sale x2
and bromine pucks for the hot tub.

Bought a bigger than normal bromine I had not seen before.
7kg for about $150 Much better deal than my past size of 1.5kg for about $50 (that I was going to buy x2.)

All added to $316, and I got $11.50 or so in reg CTC funds, plus the $40 bonus CTC funds.

Not huge savings ala US double couponing on bonus days, but such efforts are worth it for me. We have places to tuck these supplies away, and these goods are all things we use regularly in our household.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have a CTC MasterCard, and buy a lot of stuff on it to spin of Canadian Tire money.
Another deal like I mentioned up-thread in post 8 came in last weeks CTC flyer.
Buy $250 or more of goods in one trip last Thursday only, and get $40 bonus CTC money
Interesting. I never looked at the CTC mastercard but a bonus like that is very appealing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You're missing that the $10 bottles at costco are 4x the size of the $5 bottles at walmart ...
And you are missing that I'm saying that for items I have priced that are the same size - I've found Costc to be more expensive. Which is why I leave them behind. ;)

I've also checked some of the larger size items where after adjusting for size - the price is the same or more expensive.

Some items are almost always cheaper at Costco, some vary and some are almost always more expensive.

Cheers

21 - 40 of 51 Posts