Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
23,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rainchecks might become more useful during this period of high inflation. What I'm doing is watching for items I want on sale. I'll buy a few, but usually the store shelf goes bare (supply chain issues).

Now I can get a raincheck for the item. At the grocery store, this is good for 30 days.

But here's the kicker. If the item is still out of stock and the raincheck is expiring, you can ask them to renew the raincheck.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
^ Thanks for the reminder. Metro and FoodBasics do and/or did. The latter stopped because of the pandemic and I haven't asked for one at Metro yet.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Rainchecks might become more useful during this period of high inflation. What I'm doing is watching for items I want on sale. I'll buy a few, but usually the store shelf goes bare (supply chain issues).

Now I can get a raincheck for the item. At the grocery store, this is good for 30 days.

But here's the kicker. If the item is still out of stock and the raincheck is expiring, you can ask them to renew the raincheck.
I didn't think they did rainchecks anymore?

How much do you actually save? I'd think the savings isn't worth the time.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
^ Not if you going to be shopping at the same place every week anyways. Those few bucks at the locked in sale price good for 30 days add up, which is alot quicker during inflationary times. Not everyone gets to go to Costco for bulk savings.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The one very good promotion that I was pissed at wife for tucking the CTC sale flyer away so I missed it this year was a few weeks ago.

One or maybe two days a year buy more than $200 in a single shopping at Canadian Tire and get 2x the CTC points when you use your CTC (Now Triangle) Mastercard to pay. The items for the $200 can include sale items.

We regularly by the following at CTC: hot tub chems, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, kleenex, toilet paper, auto dishwasher and hand dish washer liquid, paper towels and all sorts of cleaning supplies and house brands AA alkaline batteries.

All of which have long shelf lives and we use all year long in running our household.

So keep your eye out for that as a money saving way of buying.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I didn't think they did rainchecks anymore?
Perhaps the items you want are in-stock or you forgot to ask for a rain cheque if it wasn't?

IIRC, I asked and received on about two months ago. Never used it as I passed by another area of the city with the same store that had the item in stock.

How much do you actually save? I'd think the savings isn't worth the time.
Good question ... though if one is regularly in the store, it was something like five minutes to get mine.

Cheers

PS
A lot depends on the rain cheque as well. The one I received locked in the sale price. Ones I have had in the past have reduced the sale price by an additional ten percent or more.

·
Registered
498 Posts
^ Thanks for the reminder. Metro and FoodBasics do and/or did. The latter stopped because of the pandemic and I haven't asked for one at Metro yet.
Seems like FoodBasics has restarted it ... or maybe the rain cheques went virtural?

Their FB page calls it an "out of stock guarantee".

"Our in-stock guarantee gives you a raincheck plus 10% off if any flyer item ever runs out."

Cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
Which stores offer rainchecks? I have honestly never asked for one. Pretty sure superstore doesn't do this.
Several web sites say the RCSS does.

Maybe the current inflation will have younger folks doing what my depression era parents did pretty much all their lives?

Cheers

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Seems like FoodBasics has restarted it ... or maybe the rain cheques went virtural?

Their FB page calls it an "out of stock guarantee".

"Our in-stock guarantee gives you a raincheck plus 10% off if any flyer item ever runs out."

Cheers
... thanks for the update or that "oosguarantee".

I would hope FoodBasics restart it because they ceased it last year(?) due to the pandemic for "sanitary" reasons I guess. I was given that reason whilst at their supermarket. And I didn't see it in their or online (direct website) flyer. Will now double-check.

It never occurred to me to check their "FaceBook" since I'm not a fan of FakeBook.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
We have never requested rainchecks etc or brought along a competitors flyer to another store to get the same pricing.

I was behind a lady at RCSS a few months ago. I was impressed. She had flyers from two other stores and obtained price reductions on several items. She told me that it amounted to $10- sometimes more depending on what she was buying. I though RCSS matched all prices but this lady told me she often has to bring along the competitive flyer.

She was a senior and may have been on a fixed income. Don't know but she was a sharp as a tack. Can't say that I blame her for trying to make every dollar count. Especially now when inflation is showing up on grocery shelves.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I'd give that poor lady $20 to not waste everyone's time with flyers

Unless she had a Karen haircut and asked for the manager - then I'd record it all for the internet views. There should be a special line for Karens and couponers

I went to US Safeway once and everything had sales tags that looked like fireworks and explosions everywhere. But you don't actually get any sale prices unless you join the Safeway club.

The only club worth joining imo is Costco

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
... sure you would, then send James4Beach your $20 by e-transfer.

Unless she had a Karen haircut and asked for the manager - then I'd record it all for the internet views.
... I didn't know James4Beach's nickname is Karem (the male version of Karen?).

There should be a special line for Karens and couponers
... yep, like self-checkouts, correct?

I went to US Safeway once and everything had sales tags that looked like fireworks and explosions everywhere. But you don't actually get any sale prices unless you join the Safeway club.

... yep and can drive a luxury Audi SUV and complain about high gas prices at the same time whilst getting 10c off per litre savings. And then getting to stuff the freezer chest with all the sale-priced goodies bought, only to be reminded by wife to purge them in time for the spring collection.

Sounds alot like my neighbour in downtown Toronto, driving uptown to Scarborough for the nearest Costco (his favourite too). Might as well make good use of his or more like his wife's membership paid for by her employer.

Don't know what's inside his French-size fridge in his kitchen, nor his freezer chest in the basement inside the house PLUS another freezer in the garage. But I know that I don't have to worry about starving should WW3, an earthquake or an asteroid hits Toronto. In fact, I can pop my head over (before the pandemic) and ask for steaks on the BBQ as soon as the good weather hits, every other day.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts

Unless she had a Karen haircut and asked for the manager - then I'd record it all for the internet views. There should be a special line for Karens and couponers

I would never think of embarrassing the lady.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts