Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of brokerages that offer stop loss orders valid for extended market. I was trying to do this with my google stock which has seen a rise from 560 to 597 over 2 days. The after market announcement of results mean that either the stock will fall back to 560ish or continue to spike up....i want to protect myself of any surprises in earnings by setting a stop limit order at 590 valid after market.

Questrade guys tell me that i can't do a stop limit GTEM sell order, or a stop order for that matter either.

·
Banned
424 Posts
TDW gives me four choices:
Buy (at market or at a set price)
Sell (at market or at a set price)
Buy on Stop
Sell on Stop

I have never used the latter two and am not 100% sure what they are. I presume you are asking about the fourth one, and that it is a stop loss order. Sell if it drops to, say $580?

EDIT: Are you talking about extended hours trading? I dunno about that. I have only traded in normal hours.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soils4Peace

Yes basically i was looking for the order to execute after market. Questrade has GTEM (Good Till Extended Markets) orders which i wanted to set as stop limit order, with Stop price at 590 and limit price at 585 to work in Extended Markets. Questrade doesn't accept Stop Limit orders after market hours - it doesnt even let me set a Stop order. As a result i lost an opportunity to lock into some gains. Google announced its earnings after hours and the stock which was trading at $595 end of day is now trading @ $565 after hours i.e a loss of 5% .I'm pissed....given that this is my largest holding in portfolio.

Anyone else has any experience with this? I know Hsbc investdirect which i also use to trade doesn't have this option either, seems like a ripoff for retail investors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts