Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm spotting various stocks which have outperformed their market index since February 1, holding up better during this rough market.

Thought I would share. An easy way to check this is to enter a ticker pair into stockcharts.com such as "AMZN:SPY" which shows you the price of AMZN divided by SPY. If the line is going up, that means AMZN is outperforming SPY.
Example: http://schrts.co/uUJtHdxX

This is not an exhaustive list, but ones I looked at. I believe this is largely reflecting good quality companies with strong financial condition.

US stocks outperforming

AMZN
AAPL
MSFT
PG

Canadian stocks outperforming

T
BCE
RY
BAM.A
CNR
CP
FTS
SHOP

·
Super Moderator
2,730 Posts
Walmart (WMT) is doing well.

I don't think above the index should be considered doing well though ...

Example: I don't think SHOP is doing well ... 711 down to 483

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Telus just split shares 2:1. - Telus has done Okay - down around 10%

Intact Financial IFC - down around 10%.
Loblaws L - they are coasting through this.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Telus has done Okay - down around 10%

Intact Financial IFC - down around 10%.
Yeah of course, because Loblaws, MRU, etc., are Consumer Staples and they always do well in tough times. We need to eat.

I have in the past tried to impress on James that if he invests in these sector plays like the 5 Pack (that include financials, utilities, industrials, energy, and telecom), he should change it to at least a 6 Pack to include Consumer Staples.

It's the Staples that shine in tough times like this along with Utilities and Telecom. My 8 Pack of course is beating the index in good and bad times.

ltr

·
Super Moderator
2,730 Posts
Seems like grocery chains are doing better than many others, haven't check them all though. I guess they are considered essential services and people will need food/products.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
With all the panic buying (and reduction in price sensitivity), I expect grocers to report record Q1s for sales and healthy profits. Of course recovering from the panic buying is very expensive and they are doing a lot to go above and beyond for the community. I have been getting messages from Galen every couple days in my inbox (pcoptimum).

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
With all the panic buying (and reduction in price sensitivity), I expect grocers to report record Q1s for sales and healthy profits. Of course recovering from the panic buying is very expensive and they are doing a lot to go above and beyond for the community. I have been getting messages from Galen every couple days in my inbox (pcoptimum).
Most of the massive revenue is just demand being brought forward. Sales of Toilet paper in 2021 are going to be brutal. Maybe all those canned food products people are panicking to buy wont get used when things return to normal, so that might have been incremental sales. Maybe they get donated to the food bank next year, which ends up being a beneficiary of all this.

I must say, I went to Superstore yesterday in the morning. Not busy, no panic. All the workers were extremely helpful and happy. Saw one worker explaining to a woman that she could only buy 2 packs of TP instead of the 3 she was trying to.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Just left the superstore. Most things were stocked, but yes, they had no bananas. Didn't bother checking the TP aisle, still have 8 rolls at home.

The guy behind me in line just had like 10 soap bars and 10 bags of snickers... I can't decide if that's brilliantly simple or if he's going to be first one to keel over.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Second Friday in a row with no bananas at the Superstore! Very quiet in the store this evening, staff wiping down the self checkout stations between each customer. A good idea but it's a courtesy wipe at best, more like spreading around the germs, sharing the luv, etc.

Not a single item in the t-paper / p-towel / kleenex aisle. Canned goods, flour, sugar, fresh meats, breads, etc. are pretty sparse.

Still a ton of food and nobody is going to go hungry. Luckily I don't typically eat the stuff people are hoarding / stocking up on. Not sure why they are having issues with banana's. I guess I'm not the only one that like a good peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Best time to shop would be 1st thing in the morning after they've had a truck delivery and a chance to re-stock the shelves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts