Canadian Money Forum banner

Starting off on the right foot

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  specialk 
Steve and DrStan both make very good points that have merit.

I think you shouldn't be overly focused on your retirement but you should be saving something. Remember you are young and you are probably way ahead of others in your position.

What might be a good compromise is build a good initial nest egg (maybe 50K in rrsp) and then take a break and enjoy your youth and the fact that you are making a very good living at a young age. By doing this you at least have some money that's working and growing while you enjoy life. Trust me when I say this but life has a tendency to change very quickly. Before you know it you're married with kids and your focus changes. Live a little now so you won't regret it later.

As for the house. I agree with staying mobile. Your only 2 years out of school so don't get tied down with a mortgage. You don't now where new opportunities will come up and you should be in a position to act quickly to take advantage of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.