Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run an Industry Website & am starting to write paid articles for other sites. Im working on becoming an established name for news in my field.

Is it possible to write off things like trade publications or trips to trade conferences? Would I need to incorporate the business to do this or can I continue to remain Freelance?

The website is www.dynamicpositioningnews.com if anyone is interested in taking a look.
S.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Check out CRA site and start reading

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/azindex/menu-eng.html

You don't need to incorporate to be a small business or freelance. Later if you hit it big, you can consider that. I would suggest you do some reading then speak to a tax professional for clarification of the rules. Each expense category has it's own rules; for example, entertainment expenses are deductible at 50%. Trade conference trips are deductible. Trade membership dues are deductible, but can't remember about trade publications.

Also, you need to determine whether you are a small business or an author for tax purposes. And check out the GST/PST conditions. Generally, you don't collect or remit GST until you hit gross sales/income of $30,000, although there are exceptions to that.

At any rate, save all your receipts, invoices, etc. Set up a good bookkeeping system, so that when you do your tax return, everything is organized.

Your website looks good!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the advice!
For the business/author thing Ill be going with business, as I hope to expand both the writing & the online presence.
S.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Definitely registering the business will cost you peanuts compared to everything you can claim as a business expense

Rent, car, gas, insurance, computer, paper, printing supplies, utilities and much much more.

If you have current employment which subsidizes all your expenses and you pay taxes there you will get a hefty tax return - starting a business is expensive !!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts