Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some investment tips that can help you achieve the right portfolio mix:

Financial Plan: It is important to begin with the formulation of a financial plan designed to specify and help you meet your financial goals. All financial decisions should be made according to the particular goals and plan. This plan may include details of the various investment options, tax savings and insurance cover.

Risk Tolerance: Based on their financial health and attitude towards risk, investors may be aggressive, moderate or conservative. Aggressive risk takers aim at higher returns, while conservative risk takers protect themselves from price volatility by accepting lower returns. It is important to assess your risk tolerance before you make a decision to invest.

Diversification: As the saying goes, “Do not put all your eggs into one basket.” Spreading investments across various instruments, sectors and segments of the market reduces an investor’s risk exposure. The extent of diversification would depend on the risk tolerance of an investor. A well-diversified portfolio is better for investors seeking steady returns over the longer term.

Simple Portfolio: While diversification is advisable, one should limit the portfolio to the number of instruments one can handle.

Focus on the Long Term: The investment horizon should be long term to efficiently cope with volatility. While every market will have its ups and downs, remaining focused on the long-term goals and following a disciplined approach help protect investors against substantial losses.

·
Registered
126 Posts
how about just, buying companies at reasonable prices and be fearful when others are greedy, and to be greedy only when others are fearful

·
Banned
419 Posts
Moneymaker that is too simple and just plain silly.
Why, whoever came up with THAT nonsense probably is not a good investor, and not worth much money!

It's all about asset allocation, diversification, risk tolerance, beta, alpha, trading, buy high and sell even higher, CNBC and Mad money.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Why, whoever came up with THAT nonsense probably is not a good investor, and not worth much money!

It's all about asset allocation, diversification, risk tolerance, beta, alpha, trading, buy high and sell even higher, CNBC and Mad money.
I can't tell if this post is serious or not??

·
Registered
126 Posts

^
this post is full of awesome

·
Banned
419 Posts
Mogul, and Moneymaker:

I tried to convey sarcasim by capitalizing THAT. I also don't know how to post the stick out your toungue cartoon thingie.

It amazes me that people fail to heed the wisdom of WEB, and his classic quotes.

I do admit to watching Mad Money not for advice but I enjoy Jim. Quite the character but not my style of investing

BOO Yah!!

·
Banned
701 Posts
Actually come to think of it, my wife and I have no financial plan, we don't diversify our investments and we don't understand risk tolerance.

When financial planners look at our investments they say 'You must have a high tolerance for risk! There's a lot of risk here!' then we ask what they would recommend and they proceed to suggest things that I consider to be FAR riskier. If I wanted to burn my money I would go to Vegas.

I was never smart enough to understand those sophisticated planner types...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts