Canadian Money Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Tell me how many pounds you need...buddies grew a lot but will die of old age before they smoke it all.
Thanks Eder, very sporting of you to offer to be my supplier, or at least middle man. Just a few pounds should hold me for awhile. :)

·
Registered
12,399 Posts
I too ventured out last week, to Costco in Courtenay and Superstore in Campbell River. Costco was operating as ian describes. Superstore was perhaps not quite as well tuned, but performing quite well. I used self-checkout and the stations were being wiped down after each user. The store had one person dedicated to monitoring the self-checkout and one person charged with monitoring the cashier stations, ensuring that distances were maintained. So I guess it's like real estate - location, location, location. Superstores at some locations perform better than others.
I think we have to be a bit charitable with these essential services. Things are changing rapidly and I think it is admirable how well they have adapted over the past 3 weeks. This is a very difficult situation and they are trying to balance serving the public, protecting their staff and keeping their business sustainable. They may not always get it right.

I drove right past Costco on Friday when I saw a line wrapping around the building, so I can't comment on how they are handling things inside the store.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I'm not too sure that the closure of all hardware stores is wise in Ontario.

Hardware store online systems are simply horrible in my experience and not at all ready for the volume they are about to encounter. You usually need hardware right away and can't wait a couple weeks for the online system to accommodate you.

Contractors use hardware stores extensively to get the parts they need to make emergency repairs to people homes. In normal times, they evaluate the problem and then go to the local hardware store and get the parts to affect the repair. Do we expect these people to go online and wait weeks for the parts?

When I heard yesterday they were shutting down hardware stores I went to homedepot website to see what their ordering system was like and the site shutdown several times on me, no doubt from the mass of people trying to get parts.

There's not much reason that hardware stores can't follow the same rules that food or LCBO stores follow to keep everyone safe.

Before you discount what I say, imagine your furnace or hot water heater just died and you called a contractor to fix it. Are you willing to wait weeks for the parts online?

ltr

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
Construction is shut down as well. Only projects that are already started can be completed.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
Wife got home with supplies. No crowds where she went. I think people are running out of money and waiting for government benefits.

Once the money comes out around April 16 or so, all hell is going to break lose in the stores.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I purchased water softener salt from home depot and picked it up curb side with no issues.
canadian tire‘s website was down for most of the day today.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Wife got home with supplies. No crowds where she went. I think people are running out of money and waiting for government benefits.

Once the money comes out around April 16 or so, all hell is going to break lose in the stores.
I have intentionally not been shopping the first week of the month & the middle of the month in order to allow those relying on those benefits to have an opportunity to get their groceries.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
Different days to apply for CERB or EI depending on your month of birth. Sounds like a good idea.

Trudeau says the money will be accounts in 5 days if direct deposit and 9 days if by mail.

My son still doesn't know if he is eligible though. There are a lot of people who slip through the cracks of the program.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Different days to apply for CERB or EI depending on your month of birth. Sounds like a good idea.

Trudeau says the money will be accounts in 5 days if direct deposit and 9 days if by mail.

My son still doesn't know if he is eligible though. There are a lot of people who slip through the cracks of the program.

True about the days, but I don’t keep track of them. I was readingg that if the beginning of the month falls on a Thursday or Friday, it’s a lot busier. I don’t know if it makes much of a difference but I have been avoiding those days I mentioned.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts

Wrong thread for that comment.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I'm not too sure that the closure of all hardware stores is wise in Ontario.

Hardware store online systems are simply horrible in my experience and not at all ready for the volume they are about to encounter. You usually need hardware right away and can't wait a couple weeks for the online system to accommodate you.

Contractors use hardware stores extensively to get the parts they need to make emergency repairs to people homes. In normal times, they evaluate the problem and then go to the local hardware store and get the parts to affect the repair. Do we expect these people to go online and wait weeks for the parts?

When I heard yesterday they were shutting down hardware stores I went to homedepot website to see what their ordering system was like and the site shutdown several times on me, no doubt from the mass of people trying to get parts.

There's not much reason that hardware stores can't follow the same rules that food or LCBO stores follow to keep everyone safe.

Before you discount what I say, imagine your furnace or hot water heater just died and you called a contractor to fix it. Are you willing to wait weeks for the parts online?

ltr
Some logic seems to be missing in your comments on this like_to_retire. If a hardware store has a part in stock, a plumber calls today and picks it up today or tomorrow. If a part has to come from somewhere else like a warehouse, the plumber calls and orders it just like he did last week and it comes in the same amount of time as it always did.

You seem to be talking about a plumber was going to a hardware store and picking up a part and for some strange reason would now choose instead to order online and have to wait. I can phone my local Home Hardware this morning and if they have the part I am quite sure I would be able to pick it up this afternoon or tomorrow, curbside at the store.

I would NOT go to Home Hardware's online ordering site, I would phone or e-mail my local store. Their OWN local Facebook page makes it very clear the 3 ways to order, only ONE of which is using the online ordering site. Our local Home Hardware is even offering to deliver as well as curbside pickup.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I should add that this change has even got me thinking of placing an order with our local Home Hardware for delivery. I have avoided going to the store in order to limit my interactions for both my and everyone else's benefit.

I have no doubt that this is hurting our local store's business of course. Right now they would normally be very busy with people buying garden supplies. It's that time of year after all. But I've not gone because I do not see picking up fertilizer, grass seed and topsoil as 'essential needs'.

Now they are offering to deliver and are actually advertising for additional staff. I suspect they will be turning existing staff into 'pickers and deliverers'. So I am thinking to phone them and ASK if they want orders for gardening supplies to be delivered to maintain sales or if they are too busy just filling orders from tradespeople, etc. and would prefer not to take orders for 'non-essential' items.

If it helps them, I want to support our local businesses through this period.

·
Registered
12,399 Posts
Some logic seems to be missing in your comments on this like_to_retire. If a hardware store has a part in stock, a plumber calls today and picks it up today or tomorrow. If a part has to come from somewhere else like a warehouse, the plumber calls and orders it just like he did last week and it comes in the same amount of time as it always did.

You seem to be talking about a plumber was going to a hardware store and picking up a part and for some strange reason would now choose instead to order online and have to wait. I can phone my local Home Hardware this morning and if they have the part I am quite sure I would be able to pick it up this afternoon or tomorrow, curbside at the store.

I would NOT go to Home Hardware's online ordering site, I would phone or e-mail my local store. Their OWN local Facebook page makes it very clear the 3 ways to order, only ONE of which is using the online ordering site. Our local Home Hardware is even offering to deliver as well as curbside pickup.
I think the concern is that Home Depot only has so many employees, and it takes a lot more labour to go collect parts from the floor and carry them out to the car. So the capacity is going to be much reduced. You may not be able to pickup for days if they are booked out.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I think the concern is that Home Depot only has so many employees, and it takes a lot more labour to go collect parts from the floor and carry them out to the car. So the capacity is going to be much reduced. You may not be able to pickup for days if they are booked out.
I am not talking about Home Depot andrewf. I am talking about my local small town Home HARDWARE store. While people in cities are still having trouble getting grocery deliveries or pick-ups, our local Foodland has continued to provide same day delivery as they always have for seniors in the past. They have made it clear that they WANT people at higher risk to order for delivery. They are still in business and do still want to try and survive this period from a business perspective.

Our local Home Hardware isn't serving hundreds of tradesmen every day. They may be serving a dozen or so. I don't see them having difficulty meeting that demand with existing staff picking for curbside pickup. It would only be if hundreds of the public like myself were to start ordering too much that they would have a problem. That is why I said I intend to phone and ASK them if they want to take an order for garden supplies or whether they are too busy keeping our local tradesmen supplied.

Home Depot in a city is a whole other ballgame andrewf. I expect they will have difficulty as you suggest just keeping the hundreds of tradesmen they serve, supplied. In that case, then the public should not be trying to order 'non-essential' items for pick up or delivery.

As it happens, the owner of our local Home Hardware actually lives 2 doors away from us. I'm looking at this in OUR situation as a question of does he WANT people to support his business through this by ordering for pick-up or delivery. If he does, then I want to support him by ordering. I'm trying to look at it from HIS perspective.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts