Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
You would think either term would be adequate. But that supposition is based on the belief that people are capable of a certain level of 'reading comprehension'. In fact, being able to convert 'social distancing' to what it actually means in this case which is 'physical distancing' is a 'Level 2' reading level.

"Even Level 2 texts require readers to, among other things, “compare and contrast or reason about information from various parts of a document.”

Given that 32% of Canadians who did not complete high school only have a 'Level 1' reading level, you can perhaps understand why some people cannot make the connection. You have to spell it out in words of 2 syllables or less to be sure you are reaching the greatest number of people.
There is a reason Trump is popular to an extent. He speaks in incredibly simple (if often incomprehensible) sentences.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dropped into Walmart just before it's early closing, shelves are well stocked again though a few areas were a little low. Not that many people inside but everyone is acting normal. They're not maintaining the 2 meter distance (i.e. same aisle walk by) but not crowding each other.

Interesting that the Walmart staff were not keeping 2 meter distance either but they did wipe down the self-checkouts!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I went to a local Shoppers Drug Mart (Kingston) this morning for a bag of milk and they now have professional uniformed security walking the store. My guess is to enforce social distancing.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I haven't been in a store in about a week and a half. It sounds to me like some posters here are still making too many trips to stores. You don't go in for a bag of milk unless that bag of milk will last you 2 weeks. Shopping patterns need to be changed. I used to go into the supermarket a couple of times a week for milk, bread, etc. Not anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Went into Costco tonight, never seen it so quiet. They have people getting you milk now, can't walk into the cooler section yourself and plexi at the tills with 2m tape lines for the customers.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
I was checking out military meals and stumbled across some websites showing rations from days gone by from different countries.

Kind of interesting to see what soldiers from different countries were eating in war time.

Lots of videos on Youtube of people opening old rations to see what they look like. There are still rations around from 1899.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was checking out military meals and stumbled across some websites showing rations from days gone by from different countries.

Kind of interesting to see what soldiers from different countries were eating in war time.
If you like that here's a guy that gives full reviews along with actual taste tests!
Steve1989MREInfo

His latest review was of a 1906 Emergency Ration!

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
There are even older ones.....but they aren't the full ration kit which isn't as interesting.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
As a long time wilderness backpacker, I am quite familiar with various types of pre-packed meals such as MREs. When you must carry all your food for an extended period of time, on your back, the major concern is weight. The answer to that these days is to remove the water from the food. That means freeze dried or dehydrated food to which you add water when you are going to eat it. One long time supplieir of these is Mountain House.

But I have to say that while I lived off these kinds of meals for periods of several weeks sometimes, the best you can hope for is edible. None ever taste great. You eat them out of necessity, never out of choice.

Having said that however I have eaten some dehydrated foods that do actually reconstitute quite well and taste nearly as good as they would if fresh. Primarily fruits. I have had acquaintances who dehydrated their own items for backpacking in order to reduce the cost substantially for those items they can do this for. All you need is a food dehydrator. Here's one available in your area sags.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Odd, I posted here 30 minutes ago, with a video. My post shows on the board index, but I don't see it here. Maybe I'll try another, with another lively video apropos the times.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Maybe the new board has some kind of delay built in for reasons I probably have not bothered to read. Probably no one else can see it, but I see my post from half an hour ago with the words "in a moment" inscribed beside the post number. Then the one I made a few minutes ago says "in 36 minutes". Is this so that censors can have a preliminary look?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Dropped into Walmart just before it's early closing, shelves are well stocked again though a few areas were a little low. Not that many people inside but everyone is acting normal. They're not maintaining the 2 meter distance (i.e. same aisle walk by) but not crowding each other.

Interesting that the Walmart staff were not keeping 2 meter distance either but they did wipe down the self-checkouts!
An easy answer to the issue of people passing in the supermarket aisles would be to make them all 'one way' aisles. Everyone would only be able to go up or down an aisle however at the pace of the slowest shopper in that aisle. But it would allow for maintaining distancing.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So I ventured out to Canadian Tire ... wow, what a total sh*tshow in there. Inventory all over in the aisles blocking access to products plus most people didn't give a dam about the 2m spacing. Had to back track a number of times just to keep away. Won't be doing that again.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Cainvest, how many times a week are you going into places? You've mentioned visits to Walmart, Costco and Canadian Tire here in under a week.

Dr Tam keeps telling us to stay in our homes as much as possible. It seems a lot of people have trouble understanding what 'as much as possible' means. I keep seeing a steady volume of cars going past our house (on main street) all day, every day and I wonder where they are all going?

Staying in our homes as much as 'possible' to me means people should be going into stores no more than ONCE in a week and by once, I mean one trip per week even if they need to visit more than one store for some NECESSARY reason.

If people can't get that message as part of practicing physical distancing, then I am with the Premier of PEI who yesterday day said, 'the time for education is past. The time for enforcement is now.'

Clearly, people aren't getting the message or are blatantly ignoring it.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Cainvest, how many times a week are you going into places? You've mentioned visits to Walmart, Costco and Canadian Tire here in under a week.
Yup, just getting stuff I need and being careful about it.

There are many that are just doing regular shopping though. When I was walking into CDN tire a family of 5 were leaving with a new bicycle for one of their kids.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yup, just getting stuff I need and being careful about it.

There are many that are just doing regular shopping though. When I was walking into CDN tire a family of 5 were leaving with a new bicycle for one of their kids.
I'm sure they thought they needed that bike too. Everyone thinks they need this or that. That the nonessential shopping is the one other people do.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts