Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was there really a need for this change?

I know some are ignoring it but that's not what I'm talking about ... I mean did people (the ones that cared) really not get it?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Was there really a need for this change?

I know some are ignoring it but that's not what I'm talking about ... I mean did people (the ones that cared) really not get it?
CP24 news in Toronto just showed a live shot of people lined up like dominoes in front of the liquor store.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CP24 news in Toronto just showed a live shot of people lined up like dominoes in front of the liquor store.
Saw that yesterday at Best Buy, limiting people in the store but outside they're in a usual line up.

So you think the name change will help with that?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You would think either term would be adequate. But that supposition is based on the belief that people are capable of a certain level of 'reading comprehension'. In fact, being able to convert 'social distancing' to what it actually means in this case which is 'physical distancing' is a 'Level 2' reading level.

"Even Level 2 texts require readers to, among other things, “compare and contrast or reason about information from various parts of a document.”

Given that 32% of Canadians who did not complete high school only have a 'Level 1' reading level, you can perhaps understand why some people cannot make the connection. You have to spell it out in words of 2 syllables or less to be sure you are reaching the greatest number of people.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Has anyone even considered that there are people who cannot if asked to, space two things approximately 2 metres apart. In other words, they do not have a sense of distance measurements. Then there are those who still think in feet and don't know a metre is roughly a yard.

I know what 2 metres means and can judge by eye if I am somewhere around that distance from another person. I can do it like many others, without much if any real thought. But the ASSUMPTION that everyone can is a bad assumption to make.

I saw a picture of one liquor store in Toronto who had painted lines on the sidewalk outside the store, that were presumably 2 metres apart. So one person within each 'square' will keep the spacing reasonable. THAT anyone can understand.

You have to work with the lowest common denominator if you want to reach the maximum number of people. I always remember being told that the average TV commercial used language and a 'message' that the average 12 year old could comprehend.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still think that the majority don't follow it because it's not a big concern to them and very little to do with the name or ability to judge distance.

On a side note, how does one keep 2 meter distance in a grocery store when most aisles are not wide enough to allow that?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I still think that the majority don't follow it because it's not a big concern to them and very little to do with the name or ability to judge distance.

On a side note, how does one keep 2 meter distance in a grocery store when most aisles are not wide enough to allow that?
I have no intention of going into a supermarket in the near future cainvest. There is no need to do so when you can get your groceries delivered. All the supermarkets have been gearing up to provide more of this service. Our local Foodland is still providing same day delivery. The nearest bigger supermarkets are at about a one week lead time to deliver an order. It isn't that hard to figure out what you will need about a week or even more in advance.

Change habits.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
One person described social distancing as thus......stay 6 feet apart which is the length of a grave. Any closer and you might have one step in the grave.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no intention of going into a supermarket in the near future cainvest. There is no need to do so when you can get your groceries delivered. All the supermarkets have been gearing up to provide more of this service. Our local Foodland is still providing same day delivery. The nearest bigger supermarkets are at about a one week lead time to deliver an order. It isn't that hard to figure out what you will need about a week or even more in advance.

Change habits.
True, could have it delivered however if everyone did that the delivery system would be overwhelmed and that's not good for the people (high risk) that really need it.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
True, could have it delivered however if everyone did that the delivery system would be overwhelmed and that's not good for the people (high risk) that really need it.
Well that might be true in the short term cainvest but if everyone did it, in the longer term the supermarkets would simply turn into warehouses from which everyone online ordered. That's why all the supermarkets are now advertising for hiring more people.

Our small local Foodland has always offered delivery for seniors but are now offering it to ALL those who choose to self-isolate and they are still maintaining same day delivery. How is that possible? My guess is they have hired or switched staff to do more deliveries.

There may be some very interesting changes in how business is done including the ordinary consumers life after this is all over.

Change habits.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Change habits.
I have no options for food delivery that I’ve found yet. The best I can arrange is for pickup at the merchant.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This continues to be a concern but the media is sensationalizing it by showing couples or families on walks or in parks. Many of these people are already living together and sharing a bed or kitchen table. The Ontario essential business list also sends mixed messages.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that might be true in the short term cainvest but if everyone did it, in the longer term the supermarkets would simply turn into warehouses from which everyone online ordered. That's why all the supermarkets are now advertising for hiring more people.

Our small local Foodland has always offered delivery for seniors but are now offering it to ALL those who choose to self-isolate and they are still maintaining same day delivery. How is that possible? My guess is they have hired or switched staff to do more deliveries.
The short term is my concern as stores adapt to remove the backlog, I'd rather not add to the problem for those truely in need, kind of like hoarding did for a while there. Also, I only need short term perishable items (milk,bread) which is well under our stores $50 minimum delivery order.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
The problem for a lot of people, couples, families getting out for walks, isn't the park or the walk.

It is getting in and out of crowded high rise buildings, where hallways, elevators, lobby doors are shared by hundreds of other people.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
My wife just returned from Costco. They are only allowing 25 people in at a time, and people are staying away from each other. The lineups outside was spaced as well.

Most people are getting the message. I thought it might be an idea for everyone to put out a Canadian flag out front and leave it until Canada Day.

Maybe show support and be a reminder of what we need to do for safety. Hopefully the worst will be past and we can celebrate Canada Day as we want to.

Anyone who knows their MP could pass the idea along if they want.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Change habits.
There is risk to grocery delivery too. With delivery you can't be sure how many people handled your items in the previous 24 hours... "COVID-19 coronavirus can survive up to 24 hours on cardboard, and up to two to three days on plastic"

Our preference is to go to grocery store once a week in early morning (wife) or just before close in the evening (me) when there are less people. If anyone gets within 10 feet of me I walk the other direction. The new plexi shields in front of the cashiers removes a huge contact risk although they still need to handle all of your items.

Neither method is perfect for getting groceries but I still prefer going and being extremely careful.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
The new plexi shields in front of the cashiers removes a huge contact risk although they still need to handle all of your items.
No self checkout? When we were in USA, that is what we did. Now we are in self-isolation, but have no problem getting delivery. There is the concern that everything delivered has been handled by someone. You could use gloves when unpacking from the grocery bags? Then, at least after storing groceries, wash hands thoroughly - before you accidentally touch your face or eyes.

Only way I can see overcoming this problem, is for everyone who is still in a workplace to be tested and be negative. Especially those in food supply.

Anyone know if LCBO delivers? We are running low! Being honest, we only brought the allowed amounts of wine and beer back from USA. Might have to move to hard liquor - we only keep that for guests! Rum & Coke looks a bit like red wine :)

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Anyone know if LCBO delivers? We are running low! Being honest, we only brought the allowed amounts of wine and beer back from USA. Might have to move to hard liquor - we only keep that for guests! Rum & Coke looks a bit like red wine :)
They have always done home delivery until the virus. The driver always had to check for age of 19, and since they don't want that happening now, Canada Post has temporarily suspended home delivery of packages requiring proof of age.

ltr

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
They have always done home delivery until the virus. The driver always had to check for age of 19, and since they don't want that happening now, Canada Post has temporarily suspended home delivery of packages requiring proof of age.

ltr
Didn't know that! Canada Post delivers booze??? I hardly ever go into an LCBO store. My wife buys her wine there though and I share it once in a while! I prefer beer and it just happens our cheapest gas station also sells beer (and some LCBO products).

LCBO site says: Foodora delivery, LCBO’s On Demand Delivery partner, is available in some communities. Visit foodora.ca to see if it’s available in your area.
(Not available here)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts