Canadian Money Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1951 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Last country on the train? Canada went out of its way to get a huge number of doses.

I looked at the Bloomberg vaccine tracker tonight to see where we stand. There are about 140 countries in this list, and I'm showing what fits in the screen shot. Despite the suppliers not delivering on their promises, Canada has been able to deliver a huge # of total shots.

[ATTACH no
Sure the US is being a bit selfish, but not everyone is as dumb as Canada shipping out their stockpiles right before the pandemic hits.
Sure the US is being a bit selfish, but not everyone is as dumb as Canada shipping out their stockpiles right before the pandemic hits.
The Americans early on invested in a massive way to develop vaccines and to assist in developing of vaccines and the production capacity. The price tag was 10 billion . Moderna , Astrazenca and J2J participated in the program. Pfizer chose not to but did take a 2 billion front end payment for the US securing first doses. Participation required the firs to give the US vaccination program priority on access to supplies. In addition US legislation allows the US to prevent the export of the vaccines from US facilities. Both Presidents issues executive orders under that legislation. . The US made these arrangements well before Trudeau started his wild scramble to secure vaccines. Given the US investment in the development of the vaccines t was only reasonable they would direct production to their own people. By the way Trudeau has done a lot of spending . Other than a foolish investment with the Chinese can any of our loyal Liberals show were Canada spent even one dollar on the development of the Astezenca, JNJ,Moderna and Pfizer vaccines? In the real world you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
14,756 Posts
From what I have read in the media the US "investment" purchased "doses" in advance.

Canada did the same but spread the money around to different vaccine makers.

Of course the US spent much more on doses as it has 10 times the population to vaccinate.

The companies weren't allowed to ship vaccines anywhere outside the US after Trump issued an executive order. Biden didn't rescind the order.

Trump is trying to promote the false narrative that he was responsible for development of the vaccines, but they existed before Trump was President.

The speed of the delivery of the vaccines is due to previous research and development.

There was nothing Trudeau or anyone else could have done to force the vaccine makers to deliver to Canada.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
The Americans early on invested in a massive way to develop vaccines and to assist in developing of vaccines and the production capacity. The price tag was 10 billion . Moderna , Astrazenca and J2J participated in the program. Pfizer chose not to but did take a 2 billion front end payment for the US securing first doses. Participation required the firs to give the US vaccination program priority on access to supplies. In addition US legislation allows the US to prevent the export of the vaccines from US facilities. Both Presidents issues executive orders under that legislation. . The US made these arrangements well before Trudeau started his wild scramble to secure vaccines. Given the US investment in the development of the vaccines t was only reasonable they would direct production to their own people. By the way Trudeau has done a lot of spending . Other than a foolish investment with the Chinese can any of our loyal Liberals show were Canada spent even one dollar on the development of the Astezenca, JNJ,Moderna and Pfizer vaccines? In the real world you get what you pay for.
Trudeau wasn't quite as behind the wheel as detractors claim.
He was actually taking some action reasonably early (see article.
However, he consistently made bad decisions that simply didn't work out.

I think this is because, while a political genious, he's actually an idiot, blinded by bias, and unable to consider other options.
Canada should have strongly partnered with the US to get into their vaccine supply, pay for 10% of the initial research and funding for 10% of the initial doses. But that would have been expensive, and seen as supporting Trump. Which is politically unpalatable.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
From what I have read in the media the US "investment" purchased "doses" in advance.

Of course the US spent much more on doses as it has 10 times the population to vaccinate.

The companies weren't allowed to ship vaccines anywhere outside the US after Trump issued an executive order. Biden didn't rescind the order.

Trump is trying to promote the false narrative that he was responsible for development of the vaccines, but they existed before Trump was President.
Not a single COVID19 vaccine existed before Trump was president.
SARS research globally was effectively dropped once it died out.

Honestly the President has very little to do with any of it, why do you think Biden chose an "ambitious goal", that was relatively easy to achieve?

There was nothing Trudeau or anyone else could have done to force the vaccine makers to deliver to Canada.
Yes there was, he could have buddied up to Trump, and made a deal.
That's what you do when you're a leader responsible for millions of lives, you put aside personal feelings and make the right choice for your people.

·
Registered
14,756 Posts
Trumps executive order also blocked PPE shipments literally at the US/Canada border (masks, gowns, gloves).

With the assistance of the Chinese, Trudeau rented a warehouse in China and loaded it with PPE. He then sent aircraft to bring the badly needed supplies to Canada. The PPE supplies arrived at a time when Canada was in desperate need of it.

Canadians follow the news and know what happened, which is why the false narratives by the Conservatives are a losing strategy.

·
Registered
14,756 Posts
Totally false. The vaccines were already well under development. Moderna was created by purchasing the rights to their MNRA vaccine.

The vaccine companies have been public in denying Trump's claims to have developed and owning the vaccines.

Moderna developed their vaccine in 2 days. They had already done much research on MNRA technology.......long before Trump came along.

·
Registered
14,756 Posts
You think Trudeau could have "buddied" up with Trump and secured vaccines ? Trump......who blocked PPE at the border is going to hand vaccines to Canadians ?

The solution to everything from oil pipelines to vaccines is to "talk" to the US and explain why they should do what we want them to do.

It reminds me of when Stephen Harper took that route and single-handedly killed the Keystone oil pipeline when he went to the US politicians and called in a "no brainer".

As a result of that political interference and the embarrassment it caused for him, President Obama cancelled the permit.

The Conservatives don't seem to understand that political realities that exist in the world.

·
Registered
265 Posts

The speed of the delivery of the vaccines is due to previous research and development.

spin it however you want Trudeau didn't help finance the development of vaccines by Astrezenca, JNJ, Moderna ad Pfizer. Not one single penny. The Israeli's secured front of line status because they paid a premium price and would allow Pfizer through their health system track every vaccination and compile real time data on its safety and effectiveness. To something like this was well beyond Trudeau's capabilities.
You think Trudeau could have "buddied" up with Trump and secured vaccines ? Trump......who blocked PPE at the border is going to hand vaccines to Canadians ?

The solution to everything from oil pipelines to vaccines is to "talk" to the US and explain why they should do what we want them to do.

It reminds me of when Stephen Harper took that route and single-handedly killed the Keystone oil pipeline when he went to the US politicians and called in a "no brainer".

As a result of that political interference and the embarrassment it caused for him, President Obama cancelled the permit.

The Conservatives don't seem to understand that political realities that exist in the world.
I have the greatest of difficulty finding any crediability in your comments. You sound like a Liberal talking head with your speaking notes in hand.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Yes, I think Trudeau could have tried harder.

The PPE was only theoretically blocked for a very short period of time, Trump backed down on this almost immediately.

That's called diplomacy.

And yet you think talking and explaining the benefits of what we want is somehow silly.

It's really simple, positive relationships help, it can be friendly, or simply respectful.
But yes, you explain why your idea is good and in their self interest.

What do you propose?
Face it, Canada only has a relatively small population and economy.
Our population is half the 6th smallest G7 country, and our GDP is smaller.

The reason we have outsize importance globally is our reputation and ability to build relationships. That's it, talking is our superppower.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I guess they should have located their head office in Quebec and not Alberta...

Sorenson said he believes the government picked winners and losers based on where a company was based, saying his Alberta roots may be to blame for the less-than-enthusiastic response from a government that doesn't hold a single seat in that province.

"People have said to me so many times and I refused to acknowledge it, but the truth is, if Providence was located in Quebec we wouldn't be having this conversation," Sorenson said.

"Canada's broken. The federal government doesn't see past Ontario heading west."

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
That's maybe a bigger symptom of our electoral system. With something like STV, Liberals would have seats in Alberta and CPC would have seats in Toronto.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Seems we are all so amazed at the speed of development of Covid vaccines but I read this anecdote on the Hong Kong flu pandemic today

It has become commonplace to describe the speed with which vaccines were devised for Covid-19 as unprecedented. But it was not. The first New York Times report of the outbreak in Hong Kong—three paragraphs on page 3—was on April 17, 1957. By July 26, little more than three months later, doctors at Fort Ord, Calif., began to inoculate recruits to the military.

and this

“For those who grew up in the 1930s and 1940s, there was nothing unusual about finding yourself threatened by contagious disease. Mumps, measles, chicken pox and German measles swept through entire schools and towns; I had all four….We took the Asian flu in stride. We said our prayers and took our chances.

I guess we're all pansies today worried about 1 in a million chance of a blood clot.
fwiw I had measles, mumps & chicken pox as a kid...I remember getting a mustard plaster in bed as a treatment lol...not sure for which virus though.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Depending on metrics, Canada seems to be catching up... not necessarily because of vaccine supply, but that other countries are starting to slow down once they hit the 50-60% mark for their first dose. For example, Israel hit 60% back in March, but over the last 2 months, only added another 2.5%. It could be one of those vaccine hesitancy issues as those who want it, will go first, but then there's going to be hold-overs. Given the expect increase in supply over the next month or so, we'd probably catch up to the US, as they are also starting to trend towards a plateau. We're at 32% vs 43% for the US.

Of course, we're a long way off for complete vaccination, considering we're at 3% or so, compared to the US at 30%. But again once supplies increase and we get over the first dose lag, I'm sure we'll catch up. The bigger question is whether we'll have a higher vaccination rate than other countries when all is said and done.

Source: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

·
Super Moderator
4,041 Posts
Depending on metrics, Canada seems to be catching up... not necessarily because of vaccine supply, but that other countries are starting to slow down once they hit the 50-60% mark for their first dose.
See if they are comparing the vaccine percentage to the total population. If they are then it'll top out well below 100% because the below 18 age group isn't being vaccinated.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
See if they are comparing the vaccine percentage to the total population. If they are then it'll top out well below 100% because the below 18 age group isn't being vaccinated.
So that is a good point. I would assume that it is the total population so there is going to be some delta.
It looks like Israel was vaccinating those between 16-18. Covid: Israel vaccinates 16 to 18-year-olds ahead of exams. Based on its demographics roughly 28% are from 0-14 years old. So maybe they'll peak around the 65-70% mark because of that.

Canada's 0-19 population is approximately 22.4%, so we should see it possibly top out at 77%.

US is similar to Canada, so it should in theory top out around 74%.

The question then becomes how many of that percentage ends up getting vaccinated.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
That's maybe a bigger symptom of our electoral system. With something like STV, Liberals would have seats in Alberta and CPC would have seats in Toronto.
I think that would be good, and it would be real diversity. Not this lazy racist/sexist diversity everyone is preaching.

I think a Toronto Conservative and Alberta Liberal might be able to work more towards an agreeable solution.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Yes. This is to register through the provincial portal to be vaccinated at the clinics, almost for sure with Pfizer vaccine. Anyone 50 and older, waiting for that, is now eligible to book on Thursday.

Anyone 55 and older, who has not done it already should do it before Thursday to beat the rush.

1841 - 1860 of 1951 Posts