Canadian Money Forum banner
5161 - 5180 of 5227 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
But there is something "mysterious" going on in Africa that is puzzling scientists, said Wafaa El-Sadr, chair of global health at Columbia University. "Africa doesn't have the vaccines and the resources to fight COVID-19 that they have in Europe and the U.S., but somehow they seem to be doing better," she said.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Obesity is a thorny problem with no clear solution. Covid is a problem with a clear solution to hospital utilitization (vaccination).
Smile Organ Sleeve Balloon Happy

Forehead Nose Cheek Lip Eyebrow

Family blames authorities and covid. I blame morbid obesity and low IQ.
Darwin’s theory at work.

Langan said his family was under the impression that people with COVID-19 were supposed to "ride it out at home" and avoid health facilities. He said no one told them differently and he had expected someone to check up on them.
We didn't know we could go to the hospital," he said.

PS make a not that comment section is turned off on “democratic and free“ CBC website, but you go to russia today website funded by totalitarian regime, all articles are allowed to comment. What a coincidence.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Apartment building owner hopes to set precedent with vaccine requirement

By The Canadian Press
Mon., Nov. 22, 2021

CALGARY - An Alberta-based rental housing provider says it hopes to set a precedent with its decision to require proof of COVID-19 vaccination from new tenants.

Strategic Group owns rental apartment buildings in Calgary and Edmonton. The company says it’s the first major landlord in Canada to implement a vaccine requirement for new tenants.

Chief operating officer Tracey Steman says she hopes other landlords follow suit. She says vaccination is the only way out of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Strategic Group exempts anyone who is unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or is too young to receive the vaccine.

The policy applies to new tenants, but the company says existing tenants must show proof of vaccine to access common areas like gyms and party rooms.

Experts say there are no laws that expressly prevent landlords from requiring proof of vaccination.
... well, well, well. Alberta taking the lead on this. What a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
... well, well, well. Alberta taking the lead on this. What a pleasant surprise.
It's a bad idea to discriminate this way based on medical choices someone makes.

So now people who don't get vaccinated can't find housing either? I don't support that. Food and shelter are basic necessities.

Mask requirements in buildings... absolutely. Or the landlord can even ask the person to provide a negative COVID test proof, before he meets with them to give a tour. All of that is reasonable and these are perfectly good ways to protect the landlord and other tenants.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
It's a bad idea to discriminate this way based on medical choices someone makes.
... very different concept from the current vaccination mandate due to a pandemic when the vaccination mandate is applicable to "everyone" legitimately non-exempt.

So now people who don't get vaccinated can't find housing either? I don't support that. Food and shelter are basic necessities.
... applicable only to new tenants. Existing ones need proof. This protocol is no different than for university residents.

Mask requirements in buildings... absolutely. Or the landlord can even ask the person to provide a negative COVID test proof, before he meets with them to give a tour. All of that is reasonable and these are perfectly good ways to protect the landlord and other tenants.
... you want to tell that to the Strategic Group landlord. And if you read the last sentence "Experts say there are no laws that expressly prevent landlords from requiring proof of vaccination." That's another way of saying this protocol imposed is no different than from your employer.

Keep in mind if any other landlords in this country are going to follow suit, then "condos" are next. Can't say the same for private housing slumlords though so no the "homelessness" excuse here.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
The messaging on what to do if you suspect covid is mixed and continually changing.

Our doctor won't see any patients with any symptoms. The pharmacy won't either.

I remember when the message was stay home and self isolate, but if you had trouble breathing call 911.

Now they are saying that is too late ? Why did they close a testing center here ?

I listened to the scanner one night and it was constant calls for covid symptoms to the paramedics. Everybody who had the sniffles was calling.

At one point, they had no ambulances left to send out. They brought in ambulances from another city. I imagine the ER was a disaster area.

Saying people are coming in too late........isn't giving them much information on when to know to come in.

A girl we know was told she may have in contact with someone with covid.

She had to go to the hospital to get tested. It took a couple of days for the result.

We all waited around for the results because we may have been indirectly exposed.

I am not sure what we were supposed to do if she tested positive and none of us had any symptoms yet.

I doubt they would admit us into the hospital with no symptoms......even if we had covid.

I think what we really need is good home testing kits.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Saying people are coming in too late........isn't giving them much information on when to know to come in.
Everyone who can afford it should own a "pulse oximeter" at home. Mine costs about $45 on amazon. Easy to use. Put it on your finger and read your oxygen saturation level. If that level drops below 90%, get to the hospital. Any questions?

We are now living in a covid endemic world. In the flu world I imagine everyone owned a thermometer to measure body temperature. In a covid world you now need a pulse oximeter. It is what it is.

While you are at it pick up a home blood pressure monitor also. That should be observed also, along with your body temperature, as well.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
The messaging on what to do if you suspect covid is mixed and continually changing.
.. not sure which messaging systems you're referring to. But on the ON's website, there is a list/doc from the MOH called Covid-19 Reference Document for Symptoms (version 8-August 26, 2021) that outlines most common Covid symptoms with guidance of what to do if those symptoms are clear/indeed Covid ones.

Our doctor won't see any patients with any symptoms. The pharmacy won't either.
... same here. Sign at the doc's door says you'll be referred to the nearest hospital ER.

As for the pharmac(ies), not sure what they can do for a patient with Covid. Alot of the big pharmacies in TO do vaccine/flu shots and asymptomatic testing (for travel or employers' request) - by appointments only. Need to check their websites for services and locations specific. But now knowing of some of these are going to participate in "symptomatics" testing (even by appointments only), I'll be sure "my" pharmacy is not on that list. If it's, adios. From what I read on the news, this is already happening (if not happened), some customers have switched their RX lists (or that of their elderly parents) to another non-participating pharmacy. I don't blame them, no matter how much confidence that "it's safe" as oozed by the head of the Pharmacy Association, ON's Chief Medical Officer, and Ms. Elliott.

I remember when the message was stay home and self isolate, but if you had trouble breathing call 911.

Now they are saying that is too late ? Why did they close a testing center here ?
... who are you hearing it's "too late"? No, if you have trouble breathing (for whatever reason), you have to go to ER unless you have an oxygen breathing apparatus to temporarily help and then you still have to go to ER. If you don't go into ER for a chance to be saved, then death at home will be imminent. Closing a testing center in your town/city? Then you have to ask your city councillor where do its citizens go for testing if needs to then?

I listened to the scanner one night and it was constant calls for covid symptoms to the paramedics. Everybody who had the sniffles was calling.

At one point, they had no ambulances left to send out.
They brought in ambulances from another city. I imagine the ER was a disaster area.
... that's a real waste of resources. Some citizens really need to use some common sense.

... your area's Public Health really need to step up on its communications effort. Imagine there's a natural disaster of some sorts in your area, then what? Chaos?

A girl we know was told she may have in contact with someone with covid.

She had to go to the hospital to get tested. It took a couple of days for the result.

We all waited around for the results because we may have been indirectly exposed.

I am not sure what we were supposed to do if she tested positive and none of us had any symptoms yet.
... there's not much you can do but wait for her results and if it's positive, she has to isolate. In the meantime, you can monitor yourself for any symptoms. If you don't have any, then god bless. I'm sure if she was positive and you being an elderly, you'll get symptoms. If it's bad, then it's ER. If it isn't, then isolate too.

I doubt they would admit us into the hospital with no symptoms......even if we had covid.
... I think so otherwise the hospital will be swamped with people. Besides, do you want to be next to a person with symptoms. Keep in mind, the hospital is a petri-dish of germs.

I think what we really need is good home testing kits.
... would be a good idea but who pays? Not sure if you read but Toronto public schools are getting home-testing kits (to a tune of $50M true or not, IDK for sure) for the kids to test over the Xmas holidays. The assinined thing about this is the "tests" are voluntary and even the kids don't use those tests, they'll NOT be refused back at school. Do you think the kids are gonna to be tested? Eff-duhs with the ON government.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think they will. Did you ever go through a rapid test? It is extremely quick, very convenient, and you can make your kids feel like a scientist - with right approach they might love it.
And you personally, if you had a quick, easy, free, non-invasive, no side-effect way to check if you have the virus then wouldn't you? Out of curiosity and to make sure you don't infect your family?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I think they will.
... how do you know, for sure? How do you prove they will. [Care to show your famous "facts" criteria here, please.] For all you know, they said "we tested and we're negative" and they're in school.

Did you ever go through a rapid test? It is extremely quick, very convenient, and you can make your kids feel like a scientist - with right approach they might love it.
... no, and don't think I ever will if I take the necessary pre-cautions and fully aware of my surroundings. If the tests make the kids (or even the adults) feel like scientists, all the more power to them.

And you personally, if you had a quick, easy, free, non-invasive, no side-effect way to check if you have the virus then wouldn't you? Out of curiosity and to make sure you don't infect your family?
... as said, very first step is to ensure my family don't get exposed. [Moreover, I'm not paying $40 a pop no matter how convenient it is when it isn't necessary.] End of story. Besides, I don't like to play Russian Roulette like some people do. And no, I'm not hiding under a rock though it does feel like the need to when answering your questions here.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Everyone who can afford it should own a "pulse oximeter" at home. Mine costs about $45 on amazon. Easy to use. Put it on your finger and read your oxygen saturation level. If that level drops below 90%, get to the hospital. Any questions?

We are now living in a covid endemic world. In the flu world I imagine everyone owned a thermometer to measure body temperature. In a covid world you now need a pulse oximeter. It is what it is.

While you are at it pick up a home blood pressure monitor also. That should be observed also, along with your body temperature, as well.
The problem is that none of the diagnostics identify covid from other ailments like the flu or a cold.

Only a positive covid test will do that.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
... how do you know, for sure? How do you prove they will. [Care to show your famous "facts" criteria here, please.] For all you know, they said "we tested and we're negative" and they're in school.

... no, and don't think I ever will if I take the necessary pre-cautions and fully aware of my surroundings. If the tests make the kids (or even the adults) feel like scientists, all the more power to them.

... as said, very first step is to ensure my family don't get exposed. [Moreover, I'm not paying $40 a pop no matter how convenient it is when it isn't necessary.] End of story. Besides, I don't like to play Russian Roulette like some people do. And no, I'm not hiding under a rock though it does feel like the need to when answering your questions here.
You are the one playing russian roulette by not testing before seeing your family.
And 40$ a pop? Go and complain to your government for gouging you, because actual prices are closer to 20% of that.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
The problem is that none of the diagnostics identify covid from other ailments like the flu or a cold.

Only a positive covid test will do that.
Of course. My suggestion referred to what a person needs to do once they get a positive covid test result. Unless you are very sick at the time you will be told to go home. Now what do you do? You really don't want to have to run out and get that pulse oximeter then. You may not get that amount of time.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
You are the one playing russian roulette by not testing before seeing your family.
...if you say so and continue playing your kiddie game of getting to be a scientist or a doctor. For one, I'm not concerned with the need to test each day or 3 times a week just to be WFH (aka working from home) while vaccinated too (supposedly) just to satisfy my employer.
And 40$ a pop? Go and complain to your government for gouging you, because actual prices are closer to 20% of that.
... hey I don't set the $40 per pop and since I don't need to test, no complaint is required. Unlike you at lucky $8 per pop, testing 3 times a week at minimum equates to $96 per month (plus tax) , your employer gets the joy of forking that out so that they keep you at home playing doc whilst supposedly working.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
But.....but.....Mr. Matt said this couldn't happen.

There is no doubt that the outbreaks in schools leads to increases in the surrounding neighborhoods where the kids live.

It was so easily predictable.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
The problem with the open, closed, open, closed, plan for schools is that parents have to scramble now to find day care for their kids.

Ontario voters will have an easy choice next spring. Boot Ford and elect Horvath.

Voters will have a choice between the NDP and a totally inept Conservative government.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
But.....but.....Mr. Matt said this couldn't happen.

There is no doubt that the outbreaks in schools leads to increases in the surrounding neighborhoods where the kids live.

It was so easily predictable.
... 'cause in MrMatt's (fantasy) world, kids are not humans but little bots ... only problem even little bots can infect everything.

5161 - 5180 of 5227 Posts