Canadian Money Forum banner

441 - 460 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
its crazy in the US. I’m starting to feel we’re at the opposite spectrum. I’ve read Ontario is one of the most locked down areas in the world. Toronto has been locked down (most aggressive level on a multi-scale program) since nov. 23. It’s been 3 months.
thankfully I live about 90 mins away and things are open a little here. Had dinner indoors at a restaurant that allowed 8 guests. 2 tables of four. Members of same family together. No border hoppers allowed.

the 3 months though is intense!! I hadn’t realized that Toronto has been in that zone since nov 23.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
its crazy in the US. I’m starting to feel we’re at the opposite spectrum. I’ve read Ontario is one of the most locked down areas in the world. Toronto has been locked down (most aggressive level on a multi-scale program) since nov. 23. It’s been 3 months.
thankfully I live about 90 mins away and things are open a little here. Had dinner indoors at a restaurant that allowed 8 guests. 2 tables of four. Members of same family together. No border hoppers allowed.

the 3 months though is intense!! I hadn’t realized that Toronto has been in that zone since nov 23.
Can you share what kind of restrictions you experience in Toronto? I am unfamiliar with that situation and curious what it means.

What are the kinds of things which are not possible to do, but you wish you could be doing?

Is it possible to go shopping?

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
What are the kinds of things which are not possible to do, but you wish you could be doing?

If I list things that are not possible to do in GTA, but I wish I could be doing (and did pre-Covid), it would be extremely long list :).
Practically , I cannot do anything except going to groceries store .... so I'm trying to compensate and going to still opened stores 3 times more freq than pre-Covid

I’m starting to feel we’re at the opposite spectrum. I’ve read Ontario is one of the most locked down areas in the world.
Yes, we are....even comparing to other Canadian provinces! This is crazy!

·
Registered
13,380 Posts

It has not honestly been that big of a deal. But my livelihood does not depend on people engaging in activities likely to spread infection, so I might be biased. Not getting a haircut in three months is starting to get old though!

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Can you share what kind of restrictions you experience in Toronto? I am unfamiliar with that situation and curious what it means.

Most stores are closed for indoor shopping, unless they are grocery stores or pharmacies. I haven't bought anything curbside or online since before Christmas, so it must not be that big of a deal. Of course, I have pretty much everything I need.

I think the biggest problem is boredom.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Most stores are closed for indoor shopping, unless they are grocery stores or pharmacies. I haven't bought anything curbside or online since before Christmas, so it must not be that big of a deal. Of course, I have pretty much everything I need.

I think the biggest problem is boredom.
You guys are thinking only about buying groceries ?!
Just to start ...
  • Me and my wife twice weekly volleyball league was cancelled ling time ago
  • My wife's skating club (4 times per week practices + competitions) is closed
  • Steamul (Russian Banjas (saunas)) place is not allowed to operate. We were going there every week. Owner probably gonna go bankrupt (btw, similar venues are operating in other provinces)
  • No dining inside restaurants
  • No night bars (and yes, we were going there :))
  • Muskoka winter resort we were going every winter is closed
  • Cross country skiing in Mono is closed
etc etc etc

Luckily we were able to get last fall 2 beautiful Siberian forest kittens :)

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
I didn't realize store closures were this extensive.

Let's say you have some furniture at home that breaks, and want to go to Ikea to buy a new table. Is that possible to do, or is Ikea closed?

How about essentials at Canadian Tire. Can one go and buy essential tools and hardware?

·
Registered
10,512 Posts

Let's say you have some furniture at home that breaks, and want to go to Ikea to buy a new table. Is that possible to do, or is Ikea closed?

How about essentials at Canadian Tire. Can one go and buy essential tools and hardware?
IKEA is closed, Canadian Tire, home Depot, Sport Check are closed. Even PetSmart is closed. Gyms are closed............everything is freaking closed...
Even sometimes to buy food in Superstore or drinks in LCBO you have to wait in line for 20-30 minutes.... GTA became like USSR !
P.S. In Florida even strip clubs are essential service :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Plus the social limits. In Toronto, technically against the law to gather indoors or outdoors with members outside your household. There is a stay-at-home order in effect.

we just moved to the next level down...the red zone....indoor gatherings still limited to 5. Outdoors 25.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts

They are closed for indoor shopping, but still doing curbside. Not sure how that works for IKEA.

·
Super Moderator
3,714 Posts

·
Registered
10,968 Posts
They are closed for indoor shopping, but still doing curbside. Not sure how that works for IKEA.
Seems pretty much the same as CT, HomeDepot etc.

Place one's order online, wait for an email that the order is ready for pickup, park in the designated spot, text or call and the order is brought out to the car.
IIRC, North York IKEA was one of the ones that 24x7 collection lockers were added to in December.

Home delivery is usually also an option.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Today again just 16K were administered in Ontario... Looks like their capacity up to 20K regardless of vaccine supply :(

·
Registered
14,279 Posts
Gibor is right..........Doug Ford is a screwball.

He failed to protect LTC homes, failed the vaccinations, and there is now a story that links him to shady homes for kids.

His supporters were only concerned about "buck a beer".

We would have been better off with the NDP.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Ontario is really messing up vaccinations, because they aren't following the protocol like other Provinces.

They are only now working on a website for appointments and working on a vaccination plan.

WTF have they been doing ? The other Provinces are already vaccinating older people.

I was telling about it for months, even in this thread! Complete mess!
However, Hospital PR executives, staff on the leave etc got vaccine first, in early January.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Gibor is right..........Doug Ford is a screwball.

He failed to protect LTC homes, failed the vaccinations, and there is now a story that links him to shady homes for kids.

His supporters were only concerned about "buck a beer".

We would have been better off with the NDP.
Not true...with NDP it would be much worse ... LTC homes were screwed for decades ... The problem not with Ford, but with whole system (esp. medical system) , OHIP, province public services and so on.. Too many incompetent government workers.
What could you expect if even simple data migration from Toronto to Ontario Health took 1 month and all reported data was incorrect...
Or when every single vaccine in Ontario counted as double :).

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Ontario is really messing up vaccinations, because they aren't following the protocol like other Provinces.

They are only now working on a website for appointments and working on a vaccination plan.

WTF have they been doing ? The other Provinces are already vaccinating older people.

... according to that article, it states:

... Rick Hillier, chair of Ontario's COVID-19 vaccine distribution task force, said last week that a website and telephone hotline will be available at the beginning of March where seniors can make appointments to get their vaccine near their homes. There are about 500,000 seniors above 80 years of age living in the community in Ontario, and the province hopes to vaccinate at least 100,000 in March.

The province has said logistics for how these seniors will be vaccinated are still being worked out, but that some seniors could expect to hear from their primary care physicians at the beginning of March
. ...
According to this latest article:

Province's 34 public health units must design, carry out their own COVID-19 vaccination plan, Ford says

I think Doug Ford needs his staff to communicate better with Ontarians on that plan, starting with ON's Health Minister Ms. Elliott.

441 - 460 of 555 Posts