Canadian Money Forum banner

421 - 440 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
People. We walk down a very dark road once we attempt to make the decision on which life is more important then the other. If the science says the virus is there, and those lives are vulnerable, then fine, give them some vaccine, in proportion to their risk compared to all the others.

If we start trying to decide which life is deserving of vaccine and which is not, there are probably a lot more people out there that will be added to the list of people who should miss out...probably starting with me. lol

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
^ But you know, some people just has to go there. They need to exercise their right to "free speech" on this forum without ethical considerations.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Are you sure you found the right person on this thread that is not using ethical considerations?

Anyway, I don't post to make friends. I doubt my opinion above is overwhelmingly agreed with by many. I just thought it would not hurt to know more of the reasons that go into these decisions. Personally I couldn't care less what they decide with this particular issue.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Are you sure you found the right person on this thread that is not using ethical considerations?
... no need for you to worry about this. They know who they are.

Anyway, I don't post to make friends.
... no doubt. Everyone has their own agenda when posting.

I doubt my opinion above is overwhelmingly agreed with by many. I just thought it would not hurt to know more of the reasons that go into these decisions. Personally I couldn't care less what they decide with this particular issue.
.. in which case consider yourself lucky that I responded.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
More good news for those that can get vaccines...

"The Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE Covid-19 vaccine appeared to stop the vast majority of recipients in Israel becoming infected, providing the first real-world indication that the immunization will curb transmission of the coronavirus. "

"If confirmed, the early results on lab-tested infections are encouraging because they indicate the vaccine may also prevent asymptomatic carriers from spreading the virus that causes Covid-19 "

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
And this from the Wall Street Journal

Some medical experts privately agreed with my prediction that there may be very little Covid-19 by April but suggested that I not to talk publicly about herd immunity because people might become complacent and fail to take precautions or might decline the vaccine. But scientists shouldn’t try to manipulate the public by hiding the truth. As we encourage everyone to get a vaccine, we also need to reopen schools and society to limit the damage of closures and prolonged isolation. Contingency planning for an open economy by April can deliver hope to those in despair and to those who have made large personal sacrifices.

Dr. Makary is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health, chief medical adviser to Sesame Care, and author of “The Price We Pay.”

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
And this from the Wall Street Journal

Some medical experts privately agreed with my prediction that there may be very little Covid-19 by April but suggested that I not to talk publicly about herd immunity because people might become complacent and fail to take precautions or might decline the vaccine. But scientists shouldn’t try to manipulate the public by hiding the truth. As we encourage everyone to get a vaccine, we also need to reopen schools and society to limit the damage of closures and prolonged isolation. Contingency planning for an open economy by April can deliver hope to those in despair and to those who have made large personal sacrifices.

Dr. Makary is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health, chief medical adviser to Sesame Care, and author of “The Price We Pay.”
the US may indeed be the first to herd immunity......considering it says that up to 2/3 of people have had the virus. I guess when you lead in cases and deaths you‘ll get there first. they have almost triple the # cases as the #2 country and almost double the number of deaths as the #2 country. Great way to save the herd. USA! USA!
422FC149-1C57-4186-AD3F-DB5487596351.jpeg
192F89AC-3B85-42D9-A580-1CD4C41ABD0E.jpeg

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
the US may indeed be the first to herd immunity......considering it says that up to 2/3 of people have had the virus.
That is because getting into this problem is more about stupidity, then anything else, but getting out of the problem appears to be a function of money and power.

I did mention a while back that the US will start to see a significant improvement, in Covid infections, a considerable time before Canada and we need to prepare for some of the issues that will produce in our country.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Looks like we have dropped to 58th in vaccination progress. Pretty hard to drop any further.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Watched a news segment which discussed the possibility that supply could outstrip demand in the States by April.
Pure speculation on my part but I would guess/hope that some extra supply could start getting redirected to Canada by May (??).

Looks like we have dropped to 58th in vaccination progress. Pretty hard to drop any further.
To state the obvious, damn supply problems. Shouldn't be surprising as the feds were hinting at this early on as they were likely late in the game in signing agreements. IMO, a good follow-up benchmark will be where we're at by end of March. In the mean time, the provinces should work out their shots in arm delivery process so there's no bottleneck.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Pure speculation on my part but I would guess/hope that some extra supply could start getting redirected to Canada by May (??).
Why?! Because they like Trudeau?! More chances that you will be able to fly to US and pay for vaccine Or some private companies (like Medcan) can buy vaccine and administer shots for $ in Toronto. I'd go for any option.

·
Registered
663 Posts
lol, I don't think it's about "liking Trudeau". It's known that the feds have a contract with Pfizer and Moderna but with quarterly timelines and being supplied out of Europe.
It may take some combo of (political) influence and cash but if Pfizer and Moderna are meeting their commitments to the States, I can see some of the delivery timelines moved up with surplus production from the States.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Large new supplies are already being delivered to Canada, now. There are expected to be a record number (all time high) number of doses delivered THIS week.

Much of the implementation of delivering doses is up to the provinces, of course.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Large new supplies are already being delivered to Canada, now. There are expected to be a record number (all time high) number of doses delivered THIS week.

Much of the implementation of delivering doses is up to the provinces, of course.
As the article states, it's part of catching up to meet original Q1 committments. Call me skeptical, but the numbers are possibly elevated as well with the agreement to consider the vials containing 6 doses instead of 5 versus how consistently 6 doses can be extracted. I think the hope is to try to move the needle (pun intended :) ) on the end of September "everyone who wants a shot, will have been able to get a shot" target.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
the US may indeed be the first to herd immunity
I hope they get herd immunity through vaccination, not through infections. Having enough people in society get infected does achieve herd immunity, but only after it wipes out all vulnerable people. The US just hit a milestone of 500,000 deaths, horrific.

This has been an absolute catastrophe in the US. It's 167 times as bad as the 9/11 deaths ... probably the greatest disaster in American history.

What also blows my mind is that many Americans are totally unwilling to accept the seriousness of the situation. The US office that I used to work in still has some employees coming in, on most days (even though they can work from home). Two weeks ago they actually held an office party with at least a handful of people in attendance, food, and a live band.

And no, they don't have vaccinations.

It's this kind of thinking that has killed hundreds of thousands of them, and will kill hundreds of thousands more Americans in the months to come.

421 - 440 of 555 Posts