Canadian Money Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 2585 Posts

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
^ There was an infection at one of several mass vaccination center in Toronto (can't recall which one exactly) but the one I attended was well organized. The "prep work" before vaccination probably took the longest, checkpoint 1, screening, registry, check/in/point2, lineup to be assigned booth/jabber, get jab, then sit for 15 minutes with the after-jab care, and then checkout with something like 5 sheets of info to carry out with you.

Re "Whenever you are in doubt, the easiest thing is to keep your mouth shut (don't talk) and maintain a 6 ft radius around you.", I hold my breath (as long as I can) while trying to weave around those less than 6' away, without their mask and mouth wide open! And yes, even with my mask on!

20something (not only age band) playing a game on phone= clueless = sounds right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After I got vaccinated, I used a covid risk modeling tool to estimate the danger of this vaccination clinic based on the density of people. According to the modeling tool, the risk was quite low. The factors which brought the risk levels down were
  • low community rates of COVID around where I live
  • minimal talking in the facility (remember, don't talk or chit chat)
  • mostly 6 ft distance around me

Whenever you are in doubt, the easiest thing is to keep your mouth shut (don't talk) and maintain a 6 ft radius around you

The above is excellent advice. It goes with all the other safety parameters, beyond masks, that only the completely clueless are unaware of- by now: outside far better than in, large indoor spaces, less time, less density, etc.

And absolutely, be aware of what the Covid situation is, in your surrounding neighbourhood. There is a detailed hood by hood Covid case map on the City of Toronto website. I have been tracking my own and those immediately adjacent, since the data was first posted in Spring, 2020. So I know, when my little health area has been uber safe v.s. dangerous. And it IS calming now, as Canada reached 61% of single vaccinations (4th on the planet) and 6% double. Ontario closely parallels this. Toronto reached 70% first vax 4 days ago!

We all know by now, the procurement & rollout FUBARs of our 2 senior levels of government and continued mixed stepping on message, by our MOH & viral epidemiology experts. Get beyond that noise. There will be more than enough time, post plague, to write the finger pointing book and the 5 Ws of what not to do!

Do NOT sit back and wait for government to come to you. Talk to your family and neighbours and every available social media network to locate the smallest, pharmacy, pop up clinic or specific vax location, made possible by the superb and aggressive efforts of individual pharmacists, community spokespersons, city politicians to find, call and obtain your second shot. We simply cannot all move forward towards normalcy until you do.

My wife and I got our second AZ last Monday and our 36 year old daughter is about to get her second Pfizer this week, along with our son.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Didn't MIT prove that in enclosed places distancing is absolutely useless since virus is airborne and concentration rises with time? The advice was not to focus on distance (they said as long as it is above 2-3ft), but to focus on duration spent indoors.

Personally, going to small pharmacy to get a vaccine to limit time indoors.

The bbc article only confirms what was being told for past 2 months. First dose is wildly ineffective against variants. Only 2nd dose increases protection significantly. Wonder how many seniors were killed by government ignoring science and manufacturers of the vaccine and making up their own rules.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
It will be much simpler if/when we have low levels of infection in the community. Right now, the deployment is requiring a lot of precautions and distancing, since COVID is so contagious (far more than flu).
I'm not sure about that, lots of people get the flu, but the death rate is lower, particularly since older people are heavily vaccinated (I posted to a link showing 70% update in Canada for 70+)

I think that COVID19 is uniquely contagious and potentially lethal, that's the problem.
Nobody cares when a cold goes through a classroom, because that virus (often a rhinovirus or coronavirus) doesn't hospitalize many people.

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
Unfortunately, the vaccine shots simply haven't been available everywhere, so people are forced to wait for an appointment.

In Ontario, we have "essential workers" still waiting for their 1st shot. Employers are still trying to get their employees vaccinated.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Do NOT sit back and wait for government to come to you. Talk to your family and neighbours and every available social media network to locate the smallest, pharmacy, pop up clinic or specific vax location, made possible by the superb and aggressive efforts of individual pharmacists, community spokespersons, city politicians to find, call and obtain your second shot. We simply cannot all move forward towards normalcy until you do.

My wife and I got our second AZ last Monday and our 36 year old daughter is about to get her second Pfizer this week, along with our son.
Yes it's a good idea to talk to your local pharmacists.

I'm curious how your 36 year old daughter was able to get her second Pfizer dose. Those aren't done at pharmacies, so she must have coordinated this with the provincial government. Are they already booking second shots for people this young?

I would appreciate any info you can share on that. I'm around her age and only have one shot (and everyone I know at my age only has one shot) so I'm really curious how she got booked for a second. In fact nearly everyone around my age, who I know personally, just only got the first shot within the last two weeks.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

I'm curious how your 36 year old daughter was able to get her second Pfizer dose. Those aren't done at pharmacies, so she must have coordinated this with the provincial government. Are they already booking second shots for people this young?

I would appreciate any info you can share on that. I'm around her age and only have one shot (and everyone I know at my age only has one shot) so I'm really curious how she got booked for a second. In fact nearly everyone around my age, who I know personally, just only got the first shot within the last two weeks.
Pfizer is available at pharmacies in Ontario. There’s all kind of loop holes. an acquaintance I know in the trades had to do work at at a long term care facility and got a letter attesting to that. Apparently , that letter got passed around to his family and they all got shots ahead of the line.

·
Registered
15 Posts

She hasn’t got it yet. But, she expects to this week, along with our son, who is getting his today at a Pharmacy. Hers may be at a mass, regional, postal site or a pop up. Uncertain. Everything is coordinated with the Province, but most persons have long lost confidence in THEIR ability to provide immediate and non conflicted direction. You use your own resources.

Btw, there is a family medical issue that got her in, back in early April.

UPDATE: My Son (38) got his second Pfizer about an hour ago. Our neighbours told us about this Pop Up Clinic opened today until 5:00p.m., with no lineup in the city and we raced down. He was out in 20 minutes total.👍

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
I'm not sure about that, lots of people get the flu, but the death rate is lower, particularly since older people are heavily vaccinated (I posted to a link showing 70% update in Canada for 70+)

I think that COVID19 is uniquely contagious and potentially lethal, that's the problem.
Nobody cares when a cold goes through a classroom, because that virus (often a rhinovirus or coronavirus) doesn't hospitalize many people.
If we are down to dozens of infections per day when it is time for booster, we should be able to do the booster with minimal precautions much like we do the flu shot, and not industrial scale vaccination centres.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
That is very strange. You hear about some rare issues like enlarged heart with Pfizer, but not at that kind of rate (2k cases out of a population of a few million).

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Hmm, wonder why Signapore has reports of thousands of serious reactions to mRNA, but they're pretty silent in the rest of the world.
Yeah, that's very strange. This article says these are all cases of anaphylaxis!

Good news ... those are easy to catch and treatable. That's why you need to linger around after vaccination, for at least half an hour. For good measure, I lingered around the facility for 60 minutes after getting the shot.

But it's very unusual. If we had that much anaphylaxis in Canada, we'd know, because it's quite a scene. That's not a subtle side effect.

I wonder if there is a regional environmental issue, like perhaps in the food or environment, which results in more allergic reactions in SG to the MRNA constituents, which are a synthetic PEG used in the lipid nanoparticle formulation (LNP). I posted a thread on this early in the pandemic. Some people are allergic to PEG. It's used in cosmetics products as well.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Yeah, that's very strange. This article says these are all cases of anaphylaxis!

Good news ... those are easy to catch and treatable. That's why you need to linger around after vaccination, for at least half an hour. For good measure, I lingered around the facility for 60 minutes after getting the shot.

But it's very unusual. If we had that much anaphylaxis in Canada, we'd know, because it's quite a scene. That's not a subtle side effect.

I wonder if there is a regional environmental issue, like perhaps in the food or environment, which results in more allergic reactions in SG to the MRNA constituents, which are a synthetic PEG used in the lipid nanoparticle formulation (LNP). I posted a thread on this early in the pandemic. Some people are allergic to PEG. It's used in cosmetics products as well.
I have quite a bit of experience to various allergic reactions, some are obvious and acute, some are less obvious (and just as life threatening.
For example throat swelling isn't obvious, the person experiencing it might not even be aware that's the problem.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
I have quite a bit of experience to various allergic reactions, some are obvious and acute, some are less obvious (and just as life threatening.
For example throat swelling isn't obvious, the person experiencing it might not even be aware that's the problem.
Interesting, thanks, I did not know that. What advice would you give to someone regarding the serious allergic reactions after a vaccination?

The clinic I went to asked people to only wait 15 minutes, which seemed too short to me. Is the message that we should actually wait indoors (under observation) for 30 minutes?

·
Registered
303 Posts
wonder why Signapore has reports of thousands
Perhaps Singapore has more transparency and government is not hiding anything. I personally felt very uncomfortable (tiredness, profusely sweating especially at night, sleepy during the day, but couldn’t get a normal sleep during the night) after my first dose, took about two three weeks before I got back to my normal condition. Do you think health authority marked my case down? I don’t think so. This is the reason for me to avoid the second shot, as people say the side effects are even worse.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Today we found out we were allowed to register on standby for 2nd shots (not announced, just a small alteration on the local health dept web site). We registered at about 9:30am, had a call at 4:15, drove over (30min) and were done by 5:30. Not many stations or people in a huge arena. If they had communicated the availability, it would have been full.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
Perhaps Singapore has more transparency and government is not hiding anything. I personally felt very uncomfortable (tiredness, profusely sweating especially at night, sleepy during the day, but couldn’t get a normal sleep during the night) after my first dose, took about two three weeks before I got back to my normal condition. Do you think health authority marked my case down? I don’t think so. This is the reason for me to avoid the second shot, as people say the side effects are even worse.
Did you report it? ~30% of people experience some side effect from Pfizer, mostly headache, malaise, soreness, fever and fatigue.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Did you get the first and second dose three weeks apart as required by Pfizer?
I am not sure if you realize that 3 week is the MINIMUM time recommended. I know people who are in the industry and help make these recommendations (hence no link, I rely on them). Based on past vaccines which require two doses, pharmaceuticals usually provide a range in the vaccine schedule. The first date is the minimum amount of time in which has been tested to provide the body enough time to build the immunity to the first level of effacacy. The body will continue to build immunity after this minimum time. In fact, in other vaccines requiring two doses waiting longer between doses will provide more immunity.

With COVID, they tried to find the fastest times possible, which is the 3 week period, health care providers will generally not give a second dose before minimum time. In fact it is probably better to provide them a little further a part. However, with the COVID vaccines, it makes sense that the manufactures were focused on the fastest time possible to get it to the people. Now, they are finding that waiting longer (just like other vaccines) are just as safe, but may be even more beneficial. The challenge is that no one know exactly when it starts to decline, but it's probably closer to the 5 or 6 month mark (based on things beyond what I was explained)

I just had my second dose about 7 weeks apart, and though could I probably get my kid in for their second dose at closer to the 3/4 week mark, I am intentionally waiting to about 7 or 8 weeks.

2541 - 2560 of 2585 Posts