Canadian Money Forum banner
1981 - 2000 of 3585 Posts

·
Registered
14,103 Posts
They just googled by themselves and booked appointments (and they are below 25 and also work). And they told me that there were a plenty of spots available.
If you can't drop everything to chase a vaccine, you gamble with your life more than us!
Generally, whole life is a gamble.... Driving on our roads is even a bigger gamble.
Freq "public health advice" doesn't make any sense and usually it's politically driven (just look at Texas and Cali).
Esp now, explain me while we cannot drive and visit our family (as per "public health advice") as all of us got vaccines?!
I'm not gambling with my life, I'm following the distancing advice. You're the one saying that you are ignoring it. My big risk is going to the grocery store every 10 days or so.

You aren't fully vaccinated, the public health advice is to wait after being fully vaccinated. As I have seen, the Pfizer vaccine only reduces risk of infection by 30% after 1 dose for the UK variant which is now dominant in Ontario.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
I m going to get vaccinated too.
Not signing up on monday though. Will wait until the 2nd dose can be given within 28 days.
I will trust scientists who developed the vaccine and will not use it off-label based on politics.

Am hopeful that decision to follow the manufacturer specification on the use of the vaccine will come soon seeing there is enough doses already to start vaccinating 12 year olds.
Why?
I got AZ, and data coming out suggests 3 months is good.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Why?
I got AZ, and data coming out suggests 3 months is good.
a) no guarantee you will get AZ
b) as far as I am aware, 4 months is more than 12 weeks
c) I am not going to get AZ anyway. Less efficiency and less safety for people with my profile
d) Still off-label.

Will simply wait for governments to start using vaccines in accordance with their labels. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Scientists who developed the vaccine > government recommendation.

·
Super Moderator
4,279 Posts
As I have seen, the Pfizer vaccine only reduces risk of infection by 30% after 1 dose for the UK variant which is now dominant in Ontario.
I've seen a few noted studies, like the Qatar one that they are drawing some numbers from that don't seem to provide a complete picture. I didn't go into detail yet but one thing I found odd was table comparison. They show data for comparison on "after one dose" and "≥14 days after second dose". I would be interested in the results of "≥14 days after one dose" as everyone knows it takes time for the body to build a response.

·
Super Moderator
4,279 Posts
Will simply wait for governments to start using vaccines in accordance with their labels. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Scientists who developed the vaccine > government recommendation.
Yup, everyone needs to make their own judgement call on that. Keep in mind that the makers can't suggest other options as they can only back what their protocols used in the clinical trial data showed. They don't do a number of "what if" situations, it's all very controlled.

So one needs to choose, at least some protection now and more later or wait to get the known protection when shots can be done at the clinical trial separation. If one has very minimal (and safe) contacts with the real world then waiting may not be a bad idea. If one is dealing with the public often then likely the best choice is to get some form of protection right away.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Am hopeful that decision to follow the manufacturer specification on the use of the vaccine will come soon seeing there is enough doses already to start vaccinating 12 year olds.
Yeah, don't hold your breath on that wish. I would recommend taking any vaccine right away (to simply protect yourself today), and then look into getting 2 shots that align with the manufacturer's recommendations.

This would be your best bet. Waiting to take your first shot so that it aligned with your assessment of the situation doesn't serve your mortality at all. Find a way to get that first shot, regardless of vaccine type. Then, pretend you never had a first shot and find a way to get your 2 shots.

ltr

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Isn’t AZ’s instruction to have a second dose up to 4 months after? I think it’s the only one that had that timeframe from its inception.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
I m going to get vaccinated too.
Not signing up on monday though. Will wait until the 2nd dose can be given within 28 days.
I will trust scientists who developed the vaccine and will not use it off-label based on politics.

Some of my friends have exactly same reason by not taking 1st dose now

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
I'm not gambling with my life, I'm following the distancing advice. You're the one saying that you are ignoring it. My big risk is going to the grocery store every 10 days or so.

You aren't fully vaccinated, the public health advice is to wait after being fully vaccinated. As I have seen, the Pfizer vaccine only reduces risk of infection by 30% after 1 dose for the UK variant which is now dominant in Ontario.
Everyone makes his own decisions :) , o personally going to grocery stores much more frequently than pre-Covid, every week i;m going on average 4 times to supermarkets and usually visit 2-3 stores.
There are more changes to get killed in car accident than from Covid and after 1st dose there are more chances to get killed by lightening LOL

·
Registered
393 Posts
Everyone makes his own decisions :) , o personally going to grocery stores much more frequently than pre-Covid, every week i;m going on average 4 times to supermarkets and usually visit 2-3 stores.
There are more changes to get killed in car accident than from Covid and after 1st dose there are more chances to get killed by lightening LOL
Might be true if you have the full Pfizer vaccination. Not the case with AZ . It"s pretty useless against the SA variant.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Dosing and Schedule
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is administered intramuscularly as a series of two doses (0.3 mL each) 3 weeks apart.
There are no data available on the interchangeability of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine with other COVID-19 vaccines to complete the vaccination series. Individuals who have received one dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine should receive a second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to complete the vaccination series.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
OK. So you guys forced me to bring back the Pfizer chart. The questions above are: Do we need the 2nd dose and if so, when is it required?

This chart the actual results from the Pfizer vaccine trials. As you can see, they administered 1 dose on the 1st day then monitored these people and then hit them again with a 2nd dose on the 21st day. Now, can anyone see a spike in effectiveness, in and around that 2nd dose on the 21st day? Even 14 days after that day (which is a meaningless date people seem to be using for the beginning of protection. It actually happens in a few days after the 1st dose)? The answer to the question of improved effectiveness with the 2nd dose is no. If it is there it is almost insignificant to your overall protection acquired from the 1st vaccine dose.

What this chart tells you is that this vaccine starts becoming effective in 12 days and stays just as effective as that, even when they are hit with a 2nd dose. The 2nd dose has virtually no noticeable effect. It may prolong immunity, but we don't even know that, and common sense would say that the longer you wait to get your 2nd dose the longer your immunity will be.

By the way, all the vaccines work this way, as do previous infections. Take your pick of either vaccine, and for those people who decide not to vaccinate, they will be picking infection, and be confident that your extremely well protected from covid-19 soon after. All the vaccines are the same. I think I might have been the first to point out that the differences in efficacies are really the result of the trials happening at different times in different places, but you now have many experts telling you the very same thing. Stop worrying about this nonsense of which is the more effective vaccine and when you should get your 2nd dose and just vaccinate now and go on with your life. It is as easy as that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Do we need the 2nd dose and if so, when is it required?
According to the vaccine manufacture label, The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is administered intramuscularly as a series of two doses (0.3 mL each) 3 weeks apart.
I really don’t see any point of arguing.
As was said before. The best strategy would be to wait until second shot is offered to your age group and go ahead and book your first shot. This way you can get your second shot in three weeks.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
OK. So you guys forced me to bring back the Pfizer chart. The questions above are: Do we need the 2nd dose and if so, when is it required?

Now, can anyone see a spike in effectiveness, in and around that 2nd dose on the 21st day?
But every time I have read any paper on how the 1st and 2nd dose work, they don't talk so much about any 'spike in effectiveness', rather they seem to make a point that the 2nd dose locks in the memory and that the 1st shot is short lived.
Below is an article that says this very thing, and one of many times I've read this. I'm concerned the ill advised extended delay between the 1st and 2nd dose in Canada is a very bad idea.

3 to 4 weeks later.
Both of the mRNA vaccines require two shots: three weeks later for the Pfizer vaccine and four weeks for Moderna. During that waiting period, “hopefully, your B cells are generating good plasma cells and making neutralizing antibodies,” says Moore. Neutralizing antibodies block the coronavirus from entering your cells and making you sick. But these can be relatively short-lived. Hence the need for the second dose which can help generate longer-lived immune cells that can respond to the spike protein.

“Because you already have antibodies on-board from the first dose, you’re going to get a little bit more robust immune response the second time,” Moore says. “At the same time, you are boosting the immune response to be bigger, better and faster and really locking in the memory of it.”

ltr

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Isn’t AZ’s instruction to have a second dose up to 4 months after? I think it’s the only one that had that timeframe from its inception.
I think so, it's important to note that AZ is a more traditional type of vaccine.

The reality is we're going to need boosters anyway.
I say grab what you can now, 1 dose of any of the vaccines basically eliminates death, and dramatically reduces hospitalization, and should reduce spread, at least for a few months.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
According to the vaccine manufacture label, The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is administered intramuscularly as a series of two doses (0.3 mL each) 3 weeks apart.
I really don’t see any point of arguing.
As was said before. The best strategy would be to wait until second shot is offered to your age group and go ahead and book your first shot. This way you can get your second shot in three weeks.
You have a point! For example when you are doing 3 doses Twinrix (Hepatitis) vaccine , you are doing it as per manufacturer schedule, and not as per political reasons of NACI delaying it from 3 weeks to 4 months

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
1981 - 2000 of 3585 Posts