Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
^ Haven't read your link but can guess what it's all about. So suggestion here is no need to buy anything.

Just get a copy of your first grandchild's drawing or painting but don't stick it into the drawer, have it framed instead (in a 24 karat gold frame would be nice) ... that would be super-priceless.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had a circa 87 college edition of Word Perfect. Rans on two 5.25" floppies, and still sealed in plastic. I guess I should not have tossed it when paring down a few years ago.

·
Registered
20,320 Posts
I had a circa 87 college edition of Word Perfect. Rans on two 5.25" floppies, and still sealed in plastic. I guess I should not have tossed it when paring down a few years ago.
A few weeks ago, I found myself watching a Youtube video of someone giving a demonstration of a classic MS-DOS 5.x system (I guess from 1991)

·
Registered
665 Posts
I still had 3.5" boot floppies of dos 5.0, and one to allow a mouse to work with it. Dos 6.22 also until a week ago.

Tossed them last week when I was digging for my original Quicken CD for Q99, to load on a new computer by copying the CD to a USB key. That and the update CD to bring it to 8.0. So now running it since Q for dos6.0 in 1992. So nice to not have to pay for software every year, per the current software model of software as a service.

·
Registered
14,667 Posts
There is a bubble in everything these days.

It isn't poor people or middle class people buying all this stuff with perceived value.

It is rich people with so much money they don't know what to do with it all.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Those Floppy disks are likley going blank by now.

Sony stopped making floppies in 2011, and they only have a 10-20 year life span.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Wait for RetiredPeasant (I believe I got the right person on this) to respond as he got 33 years of tax returns (physical copies). If that's not vintage (to him of course), then I don't know what is.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I even gave away my old 100mb backup drive and Iomega backup system to special drives. Living light

·
Registered
706 Posts
Wait for RetiredPeasant (I believe I got the right person on this) to respond as he got 33 years of tax returns (physical copies). If that's not vintage (to him of course), then I don't know what is.
You didn't get the right person. I have 7 years. Maybe it was RetiredGuy?

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
You didn't get the right person. I have 7 years. Maybe it was RetiredGuy?
... whoops, my apology then. Maybe it was RetiredGuy or someone with an user name of "Retired" ... still pretty amazing to keep 33 years of tax records.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I couldn't afford a disk drive as a high-school student. Nor a C64 for that matter.

I had a VIC-20 with a cassette tape drive.
I remember my first 386, with a 40 meg hard drive.
I would have to reinstall wing commander to play it, because it basically took up most of my hard drive space.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
I’ve got an 8” floppy with an early version of ms dos on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts