Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I thought this is an interesting Barbados recruitment tactic: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/barbados-tourism-canada-covid-19-1.5664283.
Here's the actual site: Barbados Welcome Stamp - Work Remotely from Paradise

Given the fact that many people are able to telework, it wouldn't matter if you were in Ontario or in Turks and Caicos.

Some interesting WHO facts. I found it interesting that a Canadian company is managing the 2 hospitals: Turks and Caicos Islands
Now that's a smart move I would say bgc_fan. But why are you combining Barbados with the Turks and Caicos? They are not one and the same.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Now that's a smart move I would say bgc_fan. But why are you combining Barbados with the Turks and Caicos? They are not one and the same.
No, I'm pointing out that one of the benefits of having Turks and Caicos join Canada is that you could have people move down and still remain in Canada, while benefiting from the weather.
The Barbados was just an example of a marketing ploy to get people to go. Besides, I think for Barbados it is only a special 12 month visa.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
We would happily spend a few months in Cuba or Vietnam during the winter months. Both are communist but so what?

Turks and Caicos....do we really want to have another have not Province????

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
We would happily spend a few months in Cuba or Vietnam during the winter months. Both are communist but so what?
It's your right to support communism but if you think it's not a big deal then both your parents and your teachers failed in educating you.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
So...are you not buying any consumer electric products...most of which are made in China or Vietnam? Or buying clothing made in China, Vietnam, Cambodia and other such countries? Or shopping at Walmart?

Should Canada not be selling agricultural products to China or Cuba or others? Should we not be dealing with the Saudi's of the world?

My teachers did educate me....about world trade and the fact that no nation is an island. Trade is bilateral. That includes tourism. Canada depends on exports...not just to the US.

Or is is just about spending money in, selling to, or buying products from countries you approve of?

Have you actually traveled to any of those countries?

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
We actively avoid buying goods made in China (it's hard to be 100% compliant but we're trying) and we won't travel to communist countries. We have also decided to no longer visit the US as long as the violent left is allowed to terrorize and destroy cities.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Do you think that China would buy our agricultural products, among other products, if we refused to buy anything from China? Or do you think they would secure those products from other nations that purchased products from them. Same with other countries....

It will be extremely difficult for you, if not impossible, not to buy consumer electronic products that are either made in this countries OR contain very large amounts of production material used to assemble those products in another country.

This is the real world.

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
I know it's hard and it's impossible to be even close to 100% successful but when there's a choice we opt out of Chinese made. Of course we are able to opt out of visiting communist countries.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
No, I'm pointing out that one of the benefits of having Turks and Caicos join Canada is that you could have people move down and still remain in Canada, while benefiting from the weather.
The Barbados was just an example of a marketing ploy to get people to go. Besides, I think for Barbados it is only a special 12 month visa.
As I wrote earlier on this thread bgc_fan, the T&C cannot support a large iincrease in population. Whether people working from home or snowbirds, how many 10s of thousands do you think they could take? I don't know how many remote workers there might be but there are over 300,000 snowbirds. The T&C couldn't take any real portion of those kinds of numbers. So let's say they became part of Canada, it would be like saying, 'OK, everyone that can, go to PEI.' Then you would have the 290,000 they couldn't accommodate saying, 'hey what about me, what do you mean you're full up.' It's simply not practical at all bgc_fan.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
The 500000+ part-time snowbirds would even overwhelm Victoria-Parksville-Comox Valley. But they could probably handle 100000 with a properly planned set of events.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It seems that every thread on CMF, regardless of subject ends up being turned political. Hardly worth looking at this site lately.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
It has become pretty useless other than a confirmation that we all should have had vasectomies before 1980.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
As I wrote earlier on this thread bgc_fan, the T&C cannot support a large iincrease in population. Whether people working from home or snowbirds, how many 10s of thousands do you think they could take? I don't know how many remote workers there might be but there are over 300,000 snowbirds. The T&C couldn't take any real portion of those kinds of numbers. So let's say they became part of Canada, it would be like saying, 'OK, everyone that can, go to PEI.' Then you would have the 290,000 they couldn't accommodate saying, 'hey what about me, what do you mean you're full up.' It's simply not practical at all bgc_fan.
Quite small minded aren't you? No, it wouldn't support an instantaneous increase in population. And obviously the capacity would be limited by available accommodations which is something that doesn't appear overnight.

The whole point of planning is that you can develop to reach those goals. You don't expect to dump 300k snowbirds all at once. What you are suggesting is nonsense, essentially a weak straw man.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Quite small minded aren't you? No, it wouldn't support an instantaneous increase in population. And obviously the capacity would be limited by available accommodations which is something that doesn't appear overnight.

The whole point of planning is that you can develop to reach those goals. You don't expect to dump 300k snowbirds all at once. What you are suggesting is nonsense, essentially a weak straw man.
Have you been to the T&C bgc_fan? Yes or no?

As an alternative for Canadian snowbirds, it's just not a viable solution. Don't forget that was the original suggestion here. 'Hey, let's get the T&C to be a province and we can all snowbird there.'

Even their cost of living is higher than the USA. Almost everything has to come by ship from Miami. The last time I was there, the local supermarket got their delivery once a week by ship and many items were sold out within a couple of days. That's it, wait till next week.

Want to buy a refrigerator or sofa? Order from Miami. If your fridge breaks down, you wait. Then there is the added cost of course of having to have it shipped. Does this sound like the kind of thing the average Canadian snowbird will be willing to pay for and put up with?

You rent a condo for the winter and one day the fridge breaks down. Island answer, 'no problem mon, soon come.' ie. in about a month.

Some things sound good if you say them fast enough but when you dig down for the details of just what it would really mean, the idea doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Have you been to the T&C bgc_fan? Yes or no?

As an alternative for Canadian snowbirds, it's just not a viable solution. Don't forget that was the original suggestion here. 'Hey, let's get the T&C to be a province and we can all snowbird there.'

Even their cost of living is higher than the USA. Almost everything has to come by ship from Miami. The last time I was there, the local supermarket got their delivery once a week by ship and many items were sold out within a couple of days. That's it, wait till next week.
No, I haven't.

And no, I did not say that. The closest I said was the following:

Would give a nice destination for snowbirds and give a tourism boost.
Basically, I suggested that it would provide an option. You are twisting it as I suggested that ALL snowbirds will go there. In other words, you are bringing arguments to ad absurdum.

Again, you are pretty small minded. The idea of actually bringing T&C into Canada is to provide resources to build it up to support a higher capacity which would also in turn bring down certain costs. Being an island means that transport can be limited, but if there is increased traffic, an increased population base and development of undeveloped areas, costs could be contained.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
No, I haven't.

And no, I did not say that. The closest I said was the following:

Basically, I suggested that it would provide an option. You are twisting it as I suggested that ALL snowbirds will go there. In other words, you are bringing arguments to ad absurdum.

Again, you are pretty small minded. The idea of actually bringing T&C into Canada is to provide resources to build it up to support a higher capacity which would also in turn bring down certain costs. Being an island means that transport can be limited, but if there is increased traffic, an increased population base and development of undeveloped areas, costs could be contained.
Since you have not been there bgc_fan I would have to say that I expect you to have limited knowledge of the situation and I mean no offense by that.

Bringing the T&C into Canada in any way would I assure you simply add a drain on Canada financially. It is available now for anyone to visit (obviously ignoring Covid for the moment). I am not being 'small minded' as you suggest, I am being realistic about the realities of what the T&C could offer to Canadians if it were to become part of Canada.

They have a population of around 55,000 people right now and a tourism infrastructure that is probably about as big as they will ever be able to handle in a land area that is only 2/3rds the size of the city of Toronto, not the GTA, just the City itself. It's TINY.

I am not the one saying all snowbirds would go there, it is others who have said that if it were part of Canada, our snowbirds could go there. I am saying that if we did take it on, not even a reasonable portion of our snowbirds could go there and the cost PER snowbird to have the option available would simply not be viable.

For example, Canadians use an average of 329 litres of water per PERSON per day. Read this report on the water supply of the T&C.

In there you will see the author talking about 50 litres per person per day. Have you ever been somewhere where the water used to flush your toilet is separate from your drinking water and that water used to flush smells of sulphur? It stinks in other words. But that is done in the T&C. Can you imagine the average Canadian snowbird having to learn to make do with 50 litres when they are used to 329 and having to use non-potable and perhaps stinking watet to flush their toilets?

Then there is sewerage, they have NONE. Wanna figure out the cost to change that? They use septic systems. How much more of that do you suppose you could 'build up over time'?

I could go on bgc_fan but the point is that if you know anything about the T&C and look at the details of what would be involved, it doesn't add up to a good idea for Canada to take on responsibility for them.

Another big factor in my opinion is that the T&C have already been pretty much ruined by tourism since my first visit maybe 30 years ago. They are already too built up for tourism from an environmental impact point of view.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts