Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thailand and Vietnam are both options for us at this time-albeit remote.
Those two along with Cuba and Cayman and most others require air travel. Do we want to do that? Some would require transfers, others not. None of the destinations are likely as safe as Canada. Any that are, may not want us if current minor surge continues.

Looks like some good books and day trips for skiing or just walks in our local woods and conservation areas may be all we can do. At least the winter weather in Ontario isn't wet.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
Anything requiring air travel is simply NOT remotely acceptable any time soon. Once I am vaccinated sometime in 2021 and masks are not required.....then possibly.

·
Registered
17,079 Posts
Anything requiring air travel is simply NOT remotely acceptable any time soon. Once I am vaccinated sometime in 2021 and masks are not required.....then possibly.
I agree. I'm in a lower risk group, and even I refuse to fly these days. I did take a few flights back when the flights were pretty empty (and had middle seats unoccupied) but now, the airlines insist on filling the planes again and there isn't enough distance.

Several disease experts have recommended not flying under current circumstances. See this post in the Air Canada thread.

I'm taking that advice and don't intend to fly anywhere for a while. If the airlines smarten up and make the middle seats empty again, then I will fly domestically (direct only).

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Canadians go to Cuba because it's CHEAP. The morality of supporting a communist country does not enter into their decision, they have no moral compass.

The Turks and Caicos actually first talked about closer relations with Canada in the 1970s with the greatest support for the idea being in the 1980s. How desirable that would be for Canada remains debatable.

For those suggesting it, I would first ask, have you been there? From my own personal experience I would have to say it would be totally impractical as a 'major' snowbirding location for Canadians. With a land mass of only 948 sq. km. of which much is not really habitable and with a water supply that is dependent on 'making' water, these islands are probably already at their maximum limit of how much tourism they can take in. They certainly could not take an influx of even say 10,000 'snowbirds'.

Snowbirds by the way are only estimated to be between 300-375,000 Canadians. That's 1% of our population. Hardly worth bothering about catering to.

·
Registered
17,079 Posts
All we need is a deeper relationship to Cuba than we already have. Canadian banks, businesses, investment, trade.
This is a great idea, actually. I could see this working well, and strengthening the Canada/Cuba relationship is mutually beneficial to both countries.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
This is a great idea, actually. I could see this working well, and strengthening the Canada/Cuba relationship is mutually beneficial to both countries.
Tut tut james. Where is your moral compass? Needing to be swung? Needing an upgrade to moral gps perhaps?

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Cuba is a communist country. You'll support communism but not a free country like the US?

Your priorities are out of whack.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Cuba is a communist country.
So are Vietnam and China, both of which Canadians trade more with than Cuba. We even signed a big trade deal that includes Vietnam -- the CPTPP. If you're going to pooh pooh a country just because it is a commie dictatorship, better go after one Canada has major trade relationships with. You can start by chucking out your phone, computer and TV and most of your clothes.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Well great news...Hawaii dodged a bullet by about 60 miles...no damage. Now they need to fill the resorts with frozen Canadians.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Source please? And assumptions.

Did you think it was a higher number kcowan? I also found this quote in a related article although not the direct quote itself by the CSA. "The Canadian Snowbirds Association estimates that at least 350,000 Canadians spend from three to six months in Florida, while upwards of 100,000 more spend between one and three months in the state."

While we all know what a 'snowbird' is, it doesn't mean that we all do it obviously. So it really isn't that big a market relatively speaking. It's only about 6% of even the retiree only market. So as a voter block, it is also not very significant. Bear in mind the only reason for Canada to do something that would be seen as a 'plus' to snowbirds would be if it got them votes. It is an economic negative for Canada to encourage snowbirding since it takes money out of the country.

Generally speaking, 'snowbirding' only appeals to a few people. In some socio-economic classes, it is actually a derogatory term. 'They snowbird in Florida.' Not the same cachet as, 'they winter in Antigua.' As for where Cuba lies, take a look at this list.

There is no good reason for Canada to look at doing anything to please snowbirds.
Like I said, Cuba appeals to some people because it's cheap.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Yes I thought it was larger. Take 350000 and add 100000 and then add all the people who take one and two week trips south, sometimes mutiple times between November and April. So who is going to ignore 500000+ people?

Anecdotally, the Covid crisis is taking a big toll on this group.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Yes I thought it was larger. Take 350000 and add 100000 and then add all the people who take one and two week trips south, sometimes mutiple times between November and April. So who is going to ignore 500000+ people?

Anecdotally, the Covid crisis is taking a big toll on this group.
Even 500,000 potential voters aren't that big a deal kcowan. OK, enough to notice them but not enough to make policy decisions for.

What 'toll' is it taking on them compared to the toll it is taking on people who can't go to work if the virus is not kept under control? 'I own a trailer in a Florida RV park I won't be able to go to this winter. Woe is me.' Compared to, my employer may go out of business as a result of this virus. Woe is me.' I know which one I would have more sympathy for.

I think you are looking at it from a pretty narrow viewpoint if you are suggesting we sympathize with 'snowbirds' who may have their nose put out of joint. There are far more important groups of people to worry about.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
LTA I think you are again arguing against something that was never stated. Guaranteed to win that kind of argument...

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Here is a thought to consider for anyone who still thinks they are likely to 'snowbird' anywhere this coming winter.

The UK, lifted their quarantine on travellers from some EU countries including Spain. Now Spain has an upsurge in cases and the UK has re-imposed it's quarantine. Now there are currently 10s of thousands of Brits who have gone there on vacation and now face a 14 day quarantine when they return.

Being able to get somewhere at a given point in time may be possible but it means nothing in regards to being able to return without any inconvenience. Opening up travel to a 'safe' country may happen and just as easily 'unhappen'.

Also consider those Brits who have booked and PAID to go to Spain in the near future and now are faced with the flights being cancelled even if they were still willing to go and face a 14 day quarantine on their return. We know what Air Canada and Westjet are doing when they cancel flights. No refund.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Here is a thought to consider for anyone who still thinks they are likely to 'snowbird' anywhere this coming winter.

The UK, lifted their quarantine on travellers from some EU countries including Spain. Now Spain has an upsurge in cases and the UK has re-imposed it's quarantine. Now there are currently 10s of thousands of Brits who have gone there on vacation and now face a 14 day quarantine when they return.

Being able to get somewhere at a given point in time may be possible but it means nothing in regards to being able to return without any inconvenience. Opening up travel to a 'safe' country may happen and just as easily 'unhappen'.

Also consider those Brits who have booked and PAID to go to Spain in the near future and now are faced with the flights being cancelled even if they were still willing to go and face a 14 day quarantine on their return. We know what Air Canada and Westjet are doing when they cancel flights. No refund.

This may be the norm to plan for if one decides to go anywhere upside of their province. i have been thinking about the 14 day quarantine in many areas since I still help my dad. We don’t plan to fly or drive out of the country anytime soon, but it could happen just driving over a provincial boarder. There are few places that will be ‘safe travel’

side note. I know West jet has started issuing refunds, some were from April though. My coldge had a trip to the US booked for the summer (booked last year). They just offered her a refund but preferred to offer a travel credit.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts