Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us retirees who have enjoyed heading South for part of the winter, are having to think about alternatives. Even if borders are open by January, we are not sure we want to go there. In fact none of our friends have booked for the coming winter.

So what are the alternatives. Seems like staying in Canada may be the only real choice.

For those who just go South for the sun and beaches, no options.
For those who can still enjoy winter sports, no problem. At one time, we were avid skiers, so I guess that could be an option, even although we are a bit past that. But will ski resorts be open?

How about golf? I understand that courses try to stay open in some parts of BC. I have been in Victoria in December/January and people were playing, but it was wet. Suppose we decided to make a 1 month trip to BC in Feb-March. Would that make sense? And would it be better at coast or inland?

Otherwise, we will need some good books :(

PS: Can imagine what this will do to tourism in Carolinas, Florida and other US tourist destinations.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
How about golf? I understand that courses try to stay open in some parts of BC. I have been in Victoria in December/January and people were playing, but it was wet. Suppose we decided to make a 1 month trip to BC in Feb-March. Would that make sense? And would it be better at coast or inland?
My vote would be southern Vancouver Island at that time. Likely drier in the Okanagan, but colder.

I used to work with a guy who never missed a weekly round of gold all year, in Richmond. He would go with friends and play early on a weekday usually, turning up at the office after lunch. Sometimes in winter he would say that the way to track where your ball lands is to "look for the splash".

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I am not a golfer but mid-March would be about as early as it can be in the Central Okanagan. Select courses in the South Okanagan, e.g. Osoyoos, would be earlier. This link might be a start Golf Osoyoos, South Okanagan Golf Courses Agree though that temperatures could be rather chilly. Better check that out first.

Added later: We will not be going anywhere by plane for probably a good 12 months, and only if there is a vaccination by that time. As much as we don't like 'valley cloud' from November through February, or even March, the winter is really pretty short here in the Central Okanagan. Yard waste pickup does not end until Dec 31 and I've been putting in leaves right up to Xmas, and then yard waste pickup starts March 1 again and I have a full bin to put out in mid-March. Two-three months of winter isn't all that bad...... plus if we need to get out of the valley cloud, we can go up to the ski hills above the clouds for a day trip. It is a first world problem....

·
Banned
1,757 Posts
I'm an avid golfer but really don't miss it very much in winter. I don't take my clubs when we go south.

Our plans this year if we can't go away are too finish a new basement bathroom (rough in is done), and maybe redo the kitchen. Since I'm doing it myself that will keep me busy.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I might be staying home as well, but not by choice....looks like my boat will take a direct hit by hurricane Douglas on Oahu tomorrow night and I'll unwillingly change into a landlubber.

·
Registered
18,322 Posts
I'm just dreaming, but it would be really great if Hawaii could open up some kind of special travel for Canadians.

The logic goes like this. Hawaii has managed their cases well, and so has Canada. I'll bet that Hawaii is more comfortable with Canadian tourists than mainland American tourists.

The islands absolutely need tourism, and Canadians would be an ideal fit given the circumstances. Again I'm just dreaming here, reality is that mainland Americans are citizens and can therefore go to Hawaii before Canadians can, but it would be nice.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Eastern Canada but then I don't think the usually very friendly Maritimers are happy to see an influx of Ontarians or Westerners anytime soon, particularly when Quebecers took a head-start on it ... with C19.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Eastern Canada but then I don't think the usually very friendly Maritimers are happy to see an influx of Ontarians or Westerners anytime soon, particularly when Quebecers took a head-start on it ... with C19.
Seriously? The Eastern provinces are a good place to spend winter? I would violently disagree with you given my past experiences living/working in the Maritimes.

@James. Hawaii does not control the federal gov'ts INS mandate to block entry (as is currently the case), but I tend to agree Hawaii could feel rather comfortable with us Canucks...maybe. Our covid cases are heading back up.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'm just dreaming, but it would be really great if Hawaii could open up some kind of special travel for Canadians.

The logic goes like this. Hawaii has managed their cases well, and so has Canada. I'll bet that Hawaii is more comfortable with Canadian tourists than mainland American tourists.

The islands absolutely need tourism, and Canadians would be an ideal fit given the circumstances. Again I'm just dreaming here, reality is that mainland Americans are citizens and can therefore go to Hawaii before Canadians can, but it would be nice.
I think it is time to re-evalute the idea of convincing Turks and Caicos to join Canada. Would give a nice destination for snowbirds and give a tourism boost.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I think it is time to re-evalute the idea of convincing Turks and Caicos to join Canada. Would give a nice destination for snowbirds and give a tourism boost.
We would be stretched to provide maritime defense with our sputtering zodiacs and pellet guns. We can't even muster enough Coast Guard ships to patrol our own coasts.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Snowbirding in Florida or Arizona etc. is not likely to be viable this winter. Besides the border possibly still being closed, insurance for Covid-19 is not likely to be available either. Does anyone want to risk hospital bills in the USA in that case?

As for an alternative in Canada, that I think is a case of 'grasping at straws'. I would suggest thinking of a completely different way to spend the time at home.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We might have to buy snow tires. First winter in 9 that we expect to stay home.
We get an insurance discount for snow tires. Don't have them on car we drive South. We do see some snow before we leave and perhaps on the way South. But I don't want to drive on snowtires for 3 months when in non-snow zone. We do have them on one car, so we may just use that on snowy days, if we stay home.

I imagine we could fly to Cayman - No affordable golf there, but climate is good. Would have to bike/walk or ?? But have to stay out of sun as much as possible these days.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Seriously? The Eastern provinces are a good place to spend winter? I would violently disagree with you given my past experiences living/working in the Maritimes.
... oops, I missed the "Snowbirding" part ... you're right as wouldn't want to spend December over at jargey3K's place unless you're into winter-sports. Autumning in the Maritimes wouldn't be too bad though.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
All we need is a deeper relationship to Cuba than we already have. Canadian banks, businesses, investment, trade.

Cuba is the third most popular overseas destination for Canadians (after the United States and Mexico) and Canada is Cuba’s largest source of tourists, with over one million Canadians visiting annually (more than 40 per cent of all visitors to Cuba).

Cuba has an excellent health care system, but lack in funding for medical equipment and drugs. Canada could supply that.

Easy travel and immigration between the two countries shouldn't be difficult to develop.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thailand and Vietnam are both options for us at this time-albeit remote. This could of course change. Not counting on it. This year we need to be home by mid Feb, assuming a two week isolation period. Have some March commitments. Normally we would not return home until late March.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
We want to go to a warm place where the beaches and restaurants are open with minimum risk. We will wait and see. To get out of the rain would be objective #1. Mayne Island is in the rain shadow of the Olympics so officially desert but not exactly beach weather.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
We would be stretched to provide maritime defense with our sputtering zodiacs and pellet guns. We can't even muster enough Coast Guard ships to patrol our own coasts.
You probably aren't aware that we usually task a ship to the caribbeans for drug interdiction operations on a regular basis. Having a port at Turks and Caicos would make support easier. It isn't like the Royal Navy is patrolling those waters on a regular basis. Besides, I am sure we could easily find people who would love to be posted there for costal defense duties.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts