Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us heading back early, we should be eligible for a refund of the unused portion of our travel medical insurance.

Our policy says we have to provide proof of which day we returned. Probably easy for those flying, but for those driving? I have tried to ask RBC, but it's impossible t get through by phone.

I think I will set camera on phone to date mode and take pictures at border and when we are home. Then try and phone from home phone. Plus email them.

Interested to hear from anyone who has actually done this.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I don't know if you are referring to 'trip interruption' coverage agent99. If you are, it refers to already incurred pre-paid costs being refunded. ie. hotels, package tours It does not refer to a refund on your insurance cost.

Can you quote or provide a link to the exact part of your policy you think will get you a refund on your insurance cost?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't know if you are referring to 'trip interruption' coverage agent99. If you are, it refers to already incurred pre-paid costs being refunded. ie. hotels, package tours It does not refer to a refund on your insurance cost.

Can you quote or provide a link to the exact part of your policy you think will get you a refund on your insurance cost?
Pretty sure he's referring to health insurance purchased by Canadians who live in the US for up to 6 months of the year. If they paid for 6 months coverage, but are only going to be able to use 2 months, for example, he is saying they can get a refund for the unused 4 months. Minus admin fees, etc etc.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Pretty sure he's referring to health insurance purchased by Canadians who live in the US for up to 6 months of the year. If they paid for 6 months coverage, but are only going to be able to use 2 months, for example, he is saying they can get a refund for the unused 4 months. Minus admin fees, etc etc.
Quote from or link to a policy that says so. I understand what is being said but am simply asking for evidence a refund is available in such a case. No point in people pursuing something if it doesn't actually exist.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty well it. As per Subject - Travel Medical. Travel medical coverage ends as soon as you cross border back into Canada. If that is before the scheduled date, you are eligible for a refund.

My question was aimed at those who actually claimed that refund and provided proof of entry when travelling by car. Will Immigration stamp passports?

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Stop at the duty free store at the border and buy something for a receipt ? Then buy something as soon as you cross to prove you were in Canada.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stop at the duty free store at the border and buy something for a receipt ? Then buy something as soon as you cross to prove you were in Canada.
Thats a good idea. Problem with duty free, is that we already have too many bottles of wine and beers! We are planning on leaving 3 bottles of wine and a 6-pack of Yuengling for the cleaners! Plus some unused food items.

Maybe we will just fill up with gas after crossing. And take pictures. There are two of us with different policies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts