Canadian Money Forum banner

141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Did some of those people not watch the news, did they maybe hope to get a few extra days of vacation with no repercussions, or were they just hoping it would all work out fine in the end?
Hard to say without some sort of more detailed research.

Certainly some IMO silly snow-birds have decided to stay in the US as they think it's safer than coming home.

On the other end, I know of people who went in Jan to South America who tried to get out but the speed of the ban prevented leaving. Fortunately, the gov'ts actions have meant special commercial flights are being allowed to bring them back.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
That would work IF Peru were allowing flights in andrewf, but they are not. As of yesterday the airport is completely closed down ....
My understanding is commercial fights were banned by Peru on Tuesday March 17th. The flights that went after that had to be arranged between the source country ex. the US and Peru.

Be careful of trusting the quick summary or even detailed news reports. What's I have seen for Bolivia is "would suspend flights to and from Europe" until the end of March. People in the country emailed me the same day to say domestic flights are all banned as well as international flights. One can easily mistakenly believe there are options to leave on a regularly scheduled commercial flight when a gov't arranged one is the only possibility.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Returning Snowbirds with RVs are apparently being seen parking in places like Walmart in border towns. While some may just be parking overnight to sleep before continuing on to home, I have no doubt some are in fact parking while they shop for supplies to take home with them. That is of course contrary to the current rules which say they must go home without stopping at all and self-isolate.

In a crisis, you always see the BEST in people and the WORST in people.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I just read about a group of Boy Scouts stuck in Honduras. They left on March 7. Bad decision.

No doubt we will continue to hear of similar situations elsewhere. At some point, people are going to have to realize that they will be forced to 'shelter in place' wherever they are.

Returning Snowbirds continue to ignore the order to quarantine.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
I mean, if you are returning from the US, why not stock up on groceries in the US, cross the border, and go straight home?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The Okanagan is full of rv's returning from the USA deserts....the joint where I'm at is almost full. Seems they are all doing their 14 day isolation as am I in my motor home (day 8)...no point in driving all the way back to your home on the other side of the Rockies...still winter there.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I mean, if you are returning from the US, why not stock up on groceries in the US, cross the border, and go straight home?
All the same rules apply as always andrewf in regards to how much you can bring back in $ terms and what items such as fruit, vegetable, meat, etc. are allowed. So while they could stock up on most items, they can't on some items.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The Okanagan is full of rv's returning from the USA deserts....the joint where I'm at is almost full. Seems they are all doing their 14 day isolation as am I in my motor home (day 8)...no point in driving all the way back to your home on the other side of the Rockies...still winter there.
Presuming you are in some kind of RV park there Eder, how are you and others getting groceries? Those who returned when they were still just being ASKED to self-isolate can ignore that request and still go buy groceries. Those who are returning after the MANDATED quarantine period are not only not able to go to a grocery store but are required to drive straight home, stopping only for fuel if necessary. They cannot park where you are parked now.

It is because those returning before the Quarantine Act was invoked as of midnight on the 25th, were stopping to pick up groceries etc. that the Quarantine Act was invoked. In other words, all those who parked as you are but continue to go the supermarket etc. and are not REALLY self-isolating if they are doing that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
All the same rules apply as always andrewf in regards to how much you can bring back in $ terms and what items such as fruit, vegetable, meat, etc. are allowed. So while they could stock up on most items, they can't on some items.
we spend $200 on groceries in buffalo before we crossed. Border guard didn't ask details. Just told him we bought groceries. Swiss cheese protection

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear Eder's response to how they are getting groceries. PM Trudeau has made it very clear that ANYONE who has returned to Canada from ANY country in the last 14 days cannot even go for a walk away from their home. In the case of an RV park I guess that would mean your 'parking site'.

I have trouble imagining that an RV park full of returnees is complying with that.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'll let you figure that out for yourself since you seem to have some pre determined motive other than obtaining information.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I'll let you figure that out for yourself since you seem to have some pre determined motive other than obtaining information.
Really? That's your response? Well I guess the answer then is obvious since you are unwilling to answer.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
The reality is that the government has acknowledged there will be Canadians stuck in various places who want to return to Canada and NO government repatriation flights will be happening for them.
MONTREAL, March 28, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today that, in collaboration with the Government of Canada, it will operate its first special flight from Algiers on Tuesday. Additional flights from Peru and Ecuador are also planned to depart in the coming days.

On March 28th alone, Air Canada is operating 59 flights back to Canada carrying approximately 8,500 passengers. Over the period between March 27 to 29, Air Canada will carry approximately 22,500 passengers back to Canada on 175 flights from Asia, Europe, Caribbean/South America and the United States

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
MONTREAL, March 28, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today that, in collaboration with the Government of Canada, it will operate its first special flight from Algiers on Tuesday. Additional flights from Peru and Ecuador are also planned to depart in the coming days.

On March 28th alone, Air Canada is operating 59 flights back to Canada carrying approximately 8,500 passengers. Over the period between March 27 to 29, Air Canada will carry approximately 22,500 passengers back to Canada on 175 flights from Asia, Europe, Caribbean/South America and the United States
What's your point? Air Canada are operating flights but that will not get all Canadians who want to come home, home from everywhere.

I've just been reading about another Snowbird problem with full-time RVers(they live in their RVs year round) returning to Canada and having nowhere to go.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
What's your point? Air Canada are operating flights but that will not get all Canadians who want to come home, home from everywhere.
I believe you were previously saying there would be "NO government repatriation flights" when indeed there are. Will they get all Canadians home ... probably not.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I believe you were previously saying there would be "NO government repatriation flights" when indeed there are. Will they get all Canadians home ... probably not.
Cainvest, you really don't like to be wrong do you. There are NO government repatriation flights being flown since they brought the last batch back from a cruise ship to Trenton. A GOVERNMENT repatriation flight is paid for by the government as were those flights. The government has in fact said there will be no more of them.

AIR CANADA are flying COMMERCIAL flights where there are enough people who can PAY for a ticket to justify them scheduling a flight.

If you want to try and argue semantically that those flights qualify as a 'GOVERNMENT repatriation flight', knock yourself out, you'll still be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
Cainvest, you really don't like to be wrong do you. There are NO government repatriation flights being flown since they brought the last batch back from a cruise ship to Trenton. A GOVERNMENT repatriation flight is paid for by the government as were those flights. The government has in fact said there will be no more of them.

AIR CANADA are flying COMMERCIAL flights where there are enough people who can PAY for a ticket to justify them scheduling a flight.

If you want to try and argue semantically that those flights qualify as a 'GOVERNMENT repatriation flight', knock yourself out, you'll still be wrong.
You might be right, the press article didn't specify who exactly is paying for what.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Seems to be hair splitting ... passengers paying = commercial flights despite the fact that the local gov't banned commercial flights (i.e. no gov't to gov't negotiations = no flight, no matter how one classifies the flight).

Going through commercial booking sites like expedia, AC, flights google says there's no flights.

AC's notes for those trying to book the commercial flight say that there may be a special flight operated by Air Canada on behalf of the Canadian government.

I know ... I know .... for some, the passenger paying = commercial flight, despite what AC says and whether any gov't to gov't negotiations were needed to allow the commercial flight to land/take on passengers/leave.

Cheers

141 - 160 of 188 Posts