Canadian Money Forum banner

121 - 140 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Our Westjet flight was more relaxed...service as usual...no stewardesses wore gloves or masks. Some of the passengers wore masks...a few even used dust masks. Staff handed out wipes for who ever wanted them. Day 2 of self isolation now...

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Shall we fetch everyone ?
No idea ... but where the local gov't lock down was swift, there's hundreds of people (i.e. more practical than picking up ten per country) and the local gov't is willing to negotiate a withdrawal of foreigners - why not?

... How do we get the Canadians off the 100 cruise ships they are trapped on ? Some of the ships are infected, so it isn't like they can just fly home.
If they can't dock or infected passengers are bundled off to hospital like happened in Japan, there isn't much choice, is there?

... I am sure the government will do what is possible, but won't risk other Canadians in the process ...
What's possible seems to be moving towards repatriation flights, in some areas.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I think you are still not seeing the real picture here Eclectic12. Read here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-police-arrest-covid-19-1.5505349

The people in Morocco are a large enough number that Air Canada is willing to send a plane for them. It is being done with the consent of our government but it is NOT a government paid 'repatriation flight'. It is a commercial flight by AC and the passengers are being told they have to pay their own fare for that flight ...
Then that's the misunderstanding you have - I'm talking about the Canadian gov't getting involved, not whether the gov't is paying or if it's Canadian equipment. The "you are on your own" statement to me says the gov't isn't going to facilitate any sort of transportation out.

In the case of Morocco, AC has said it's a special flight where I can't find a Morocco to Canada AC flight ... *at all*. So yes, the passengers may be paying for it but it isn't a regularly scheduled flight.

Similarly, the gov't is talking about a flight from Peru where there's nothing scheduled commercially. If this does happen - it's because of Canadian gov't involvement instead of "you are on your own".

Cheers

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I agree with Eclectic12. It is at least facilitated by our government and may in fact be partially subsidized as far as we know. I agree none of the Canadians should get a free ride and so as long as they are paying a substantial fare, I'm agnostic about it. There are bigger issues to debate.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
4300 Canadians stuck in Peru ? They are going to need a fleet of aircraft.

It is getting more difficult for Canadians to get home. Countries are closing their air space and airports.

The Canadian government is trying to negotiate an exception from the countries involved. Problem is that Canadians are all over the world and each country has different rules.

Some Canadians are going to end up staying where they are. One guy in Peru is 17 hours away from the nearest open airport in Lima, which itself is closing Sunday night.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
4300 Canadians stuck in Peru ? They are going to need a fleet of aircraft.

It is getting more difficult for Canadians to get home. Countries are closing their air space and airports.

The Canadian government is trying to negotiate an exception from the countries involved. Problem is that Canadians are all over the world and each country has different rules.

Some Canadians are going to end up staying where they are. One guy in Peru is 17 hours away from the nearest open airport in Lima, which itself is closing Sunday night.
Did some of those people not watch the news, did they maybe hope to get a few extra days of vacation with no repercussions, or were they just hoping it would all work out fine in the end?

Friends of ours had 2 months booked in Dominican (Feb/Mar) and chose to leave early in the 2nd week in March before it got dicey.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Well if anyone wants to argue semantics over whether a commercial flight is the same as a government arranged repatriation flight as was done with the Diamond Princess, go ahead and waste your time doing so.

The reality is that the government has acknowledged there will be Canadians stuck in various places who want to return to Canada and NO government repatriation flights will be happening for them. Where a commercial flight can be arranged, the government will do what it can to help arrange them but that is ALL they will do. Some here seem to be under the illusion that most who want to return will be able to return, that's just not the case, many who want to return will be stuck 'for the duration' and the only help they will get so far is a $5k loan to help them do so.

What gets me with some of those 'stuck' is that they chose to go to places as recently as 2 weeks ago. For example, I saw a report on 19 students plus several teachers who went to Peru for a volunteer program just 2 weeks or so ago. Now they are crying, 'get us home'. WHY did a school board and teachers decide to go ahead with that travel when it was obvious what was happening everywhere?

Never mind if there was a travel advisory or not, how did they not see it as a RISK to the health of the students and teachers/parents to be travelling anywhere? Other school boards were cancelling school trips before that, why didn't this one?
https://www.cp24.com/news/king-city-students-stranded-in-peru-are-coming-home-ford-says-1.4859898

I can only imagine the state the parents must be in right now and I do hope that a flight can get in to bring them and others home. At the same time, I wonder if they realize that if any of them show symptoms by the time a flight gets to them, they will NOT be allowed to board the plane. Can you imagine the state of the parents if their one child gets left behind while the others return?

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
Well if anyone wants to argue semantics over whether a commercial flight is the same as a government arranged repatriation flight as was done with the Diamond Princess, go ahead and waste your time doing so.

The reality is that the government has acknowledged there will be Canadians stuck in various places who want to return to Canada and NO government repatriation flights will be happening for them. Where a commercial flight can be arranged, the government will do what it can to help arrange them but that is ALL they will do. Some here seem to be under the illusion that most who want to return will be able to return, that's just not the case, many who want to return will be stuck 'for the duration' and the only help they will get so far is a $5k loan to help them do so.

What gets me with some of those 'stuck' is that they chose to go to places as recently as 2 weeks ago. For example, I saw a report on 19 students plus several teachers who went to Peru for a volunteer program just 2 weeks or so ago. Now they are crying, 'get us home'. WHY did a school board and teachers decide to go ahead with that travel when it was obvious what was happening everywhere?

Never mind if there was a travel advisory or not, how did they not see it as a RISK to the health of the students and teachers/parents to be travelling anywhere? Other school boards were cancelling school trips before that, why didn't this one?
https://www.cp24.com/news/king-city-students-stranded-in-peru-are-coming-home-ford-says-1.4859898

I can only imagine the state the parents must be in right now and I do hope that a flight can get in to bring them and others home. At the same time, I wonder if they realize that if any of them show symptoms by the time a flight gets to them, they will NOT be allowed to board the plane. Can you imagine the state of the parents if their one child gets left behind while the others return?
Let them charter a flight. If parents and school board were dumb enough to let them go, they can own the responsibility for getting them back. Government loan of $5k per head should cover it. But it is a loan...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Let them charter a flight. If parents and school board were dumb enough to let them go, they can own the responsibility for getting them back. Government loan of $5k per head should cover it. But it is a loan...
That would work IF Peru were allowing flights in andrewf, but they are not. As of yesterday the airport is completely closed down.
https://www.lima-airport.com/eng

This is happening in other countries as well. Morocco for example has done the same. We are talking about Canadians here on this thread but the same thing is happening with people from all countries. Brits can't get home, Americans can't get home, Australians can't get home, etc. etc. Canada is not the only country telling people not to expect to be repatriated. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/19/stranded-by-canceled-flights-and-travel-bans-americans-abroad-plead-for-help-137329

Canada is ONLY ANOTHER country telling people not to expect to be repatriated.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
^+++++! Can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I no longer question why some parents home school. I wonder what other wisdom these idiot teachers have taught their students.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
^ Usually the primary motivation of home schooling is religious indoctrination. Just sayin'.

Not always the case, but it tends to be true.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Most of the pre-information aged world is some sort of religious. Based on the homeschoolers I know they are definitely religious.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
^ Usually the primary motivation of home schooling is religious indoctrination. Just sayin'.

Not always the case, but it tends to be true.
None of the people I know that home school (4 couples) are religious. Most of them pulled their kids because they felt they could do a better job. In one case my cousin's child came home and told her parent that her teacher said that Trump had killed more people than Hitler. Complaints about the teacher were dismissed so they chose to home school rather that subject their child to BS like that.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
While Air Canada etc. are currently flying flights where practical to bring people home still, that is going to end and there will still be many people stuck outside of Canada. For them so far, the government has offered $5k loans as we know. The question is how far will $5k go in paying living expenses in some countries and the answer is not far.

I think some of those who end up stuck are going to face some serious financial difficulties.

121 - 140 of 188 Posts