Canadian Money Forum banner

101 - 120 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Sunwing put out this number today ...

Sunwing, which specializes in flying visitors to sun destinations, said Monday that it’s cancelled all southbound flights from March 17 to April 9 to focus on “repatriating customers in destination,” which it estimates at 100,000 passengers.
Porter Airlines and Air Transat have now announced their plans to suspend flights. Porter by Friday and Air Transat a phased shutdown. Airlines all around the world are doing much the same.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Thanks for posting . That really doesn't make a lot of sense. We have car packed and will be heading home tomorrow. earlier than original plan. Hope the cleaning crew enjoys the wine, beer and other stuff we are leaving behind! We are expecting to have to self-isolate. Need the time to do our taxes! Sounds like the word re isolation is slow getting out to land crossings.
You'll be happy to hear that Trudeau has just announced this morning a massive financial aid package. One part of that is that tax payments will not have to be made until July 30. I'm not clear on if you still have to file your return by the end of April or not though, he didn't say.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I have family flying from Florida to Niagara Falls on Saturday. The plan was to have their daughter drive from toronto to NY to pick them up.
Looks like the border is being closed as per Trump tweet. I don’t think the daughter will be allowed entry now.

Can you walk across the border at Lewiston or Rainbow bridge? I guess they’ll need to take a taxi to the border, walk across and try to find their daughter.
There are exemptions to the non-essential travel closing Money172375. The daughter should try to make some calls to see if she will be allowed to cross, pick up, come back. I would wait till Friday to call though. Give the CBSA time to have the details ironed out and understood by border agents.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There are exemptions to the non-essential travel closing Money172375. The daughter should try to make some calls to see if she will be allowed to cross, pick up, come back. I would wait till Friday to call though. Give the CBSA time to have the details ironed out and understood by border agents.

Well, the ground guards didn’t ask me to self isolate.....how long does this game of telephone take?

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Back in Canada! ...
Nice that you had a smooth trip back.

... Drove to Lewiston crossing.......we were the ONLY car there. 3 gates opened. Breezed through. “Any symptoms, any booze, any tobacco”. No, yes, no. “Off you go”. We weren’t with the guard more than 60 seconds. No cautions or advice to self-isolate ...
Interesting ... we crossed at the Hill Island crossing in the thousand islands area on Monday around 10pm. About five cars and one transport truck while we were there.

They took so long with the American plated car in front of us that my sister-in-law wanted to switch lanes. I'd say though too double the time I've usually had at this crossing. After the usual "what did you buy, are you bringing back cigarettes/alchol" they said they were concerned about covid-19 and asked each person if they had any/all of fever, coughing or difficulty breathing". When we said no, they said to monitor and if any of the symptoms showed up to self-isolate and avoid doctors office/emergency. We were to all the info line for review with the possibility of testing. Two fact sheets were given.

... We still plan to self isolate.
We are self-isolating as well.

All employers for the three of us employed are insisting on it as well.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
So I will say it again, they will not have flights and no one has said they WILL operate repatriation flights. It will not just be less hassle to return before the 23rd it may be next to impossible to return after that date UNLESS the Canadian government decides to operate a repatriation flight and they have already indicated they do not intend to do so.
Just an FYI ... looks like some flights are still bringing people back after March 23rd.

Sunwing said it expects to have all of its customers, most of whom are at Mexican or Caribbean resorts, back home by Monday.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/sunwing-offers-free-seats-repatriation-180751469.html

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
The American airlines seems to think they will have a wide range of flights from Miami to Toronto. I did see a WestJet flight but on closer inspection, it was a code share.

WestJet and Air Canada's web sites for the same date on a one way flight had nothing listed, theirs or a code share.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Flew into Calgary from Puerto Vallarta today. PV airport was a zoo but lines moved quickly. Surprised that there were a few empty seats on this Transat flight. I heard the flight attendant say that they flew down empty.

We were through security, etc and on the curb in 15 minutes max. But...We only have carry on and we have Nexus. CBSA asked us health questions, Alberta Health had desks set up outside for Alberts residents. Good info and several well designed pamphlets to take home.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Just an FYI ... looks like some flights are still bringing people back after March 23rd.

Sunwing said it expects to have all of its customers, most of whom are at Mexican or Caribbean resorts, back home by Monday.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/sunwing-offers-free-seats-repatriation-180751469.html
Yes they will have returning flights till they bring back all those they took out. They are also offering any empty seats on those flights to others who are in a given location and are looking for a way back to Canada. But they will NOT be operating any flights AFTER that in 'repatriate' Canadians unless the government contracts them to do so. They have just announced they are going to be laying off all 470 of their pilots after these last flights.

It is ALREADY basically impossible for many Canadians around the world to find a way home. As I have tried to tell you cainvest, you need to read between the lines of what is being said. There is no way the government is going to try and repatriate up to 3 million Canadians abroad. You won't find Trudeau or Champagne coming flat out and saying so, but that is the reality. You will hear, 'we are continuing to do all we can to help Canadians who want to return to Canada'. What you should be hearing is, 'you're on your own.'

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadians-stuck-abroad-beg-for-government-help-amid-coronavirus-chaos-1.4860933

When they announced the $5000 to help Canadians return OR meet costs where they were, that was the real message.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I doubt there's still three million Canadians still abroad, based on those I am hearing about who have cancelled trips or returned early. It would be interesting to get an update from the gov't though.

Where the gov't may have trouble sticking to "you are on your own" are the countries that stopped travel around the same time as Trudeau called for a return to Canada.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I doubt there's still three million Canadians still abroad, based on those I am hearing about who have cancelled trips or returned early. It would be interesting to get an update from the gov't though.

Where the gov't may have trouble sticking to "you are on your own" are the countries that stopped travel around the same time as Trudeau called for a return to Canada.

Cheers
I don't think they will have trouble sticking to 'you're on your own' at all Eclectic12. I think they will have no real CHOICE but to stick to it while at the same time never actually coming out and saying so.

Consider it from a purely practical standpoint. If there are 10 people stuck in a place who want to come home but from where there are no flights going out and any bordering countries have no entry to foreigners in place, what choice would our government have? Send a 'repatriation flight' to get 10 people? Then do that for every 10 people stuck in every place they might be stuck and do it again for every 10 people who decide next week that they too want to come home?

At any given time they say there are 3 million. No doubt at present it is not that high but neither is it just a handful. Even if it is only half the number, there is no practical way to bring them all home under the current circumstances. As the link I provided shows you people are stuck in all kinds of places like, "McGill University professor Anthony Williams-Jones, travelling in Morocco with five students, told CTV News they were “left to their own devices” after speaking to the Canadian embassy."

When the government announced 'here's $5k' that message was clear to me. The government does not have a CHOICE. All they can advise people who are stuck is to 'shelter in place as best you can.'

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Update, apparently there are 4500 Canadians stuck in Morocco and Trudeau has just announced they will be sending repatriation flights for them. Just why there is such a large cluster in Morocco I don't know but apparently that is the case.

So some are gonna get lucky Eclectic12 but I still wouldn't hold me breath for a lot of others in other places. It does indicate though just how 3 million can be abroad at any one time Eclectic12. Who would have thought there were 4500 in Morocco.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
Probably Canadians who are resident in Morocco. Or maybe snowbirds (people with family connections to Morocco that were wintering there). If people were long-term staying (students, etc.) in a country they should stay in place.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Morocco's land borders have been locked by military to keep terrorists out. I'm guessing Spain locked down the border with Morocco and Canadians found themselves with no way out. Morocco is one of the few remaining monarchies that maintains power (Saudi, UAE, Vatican..)

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I don't think they will have trouble sticking to 'you're on your own' at all Eclectic12. I think they will have no real CHOICE but to stick to it while at the same time never actually coming out and saying so ... Update, apparently there are 4500 Canadians stuck in Morocco and Trudeau has just announced they will be sending repatriation flights for them ...
What was that about sticking to "you're on your own" with no repatriation flights? :rolleyes2:
(That didn't take long for an exception by the gov't!!)

... Consider it from a purely practical standpoint. If there are 10 people stuck in a place who want to come home but from where there are no flights going out and any bordering countries have no entry to foreigners in place, what choice would our government have? Send a 'repatriation flight' to get 10 people?
Practically speaking ... reports are that some of said countries have 300+ Canadians where the local gov't have said exceptions allowing foreigners to leave could be arranged but only at the request/negotiation of the home country.

You have Canadians who registered with the Canadian consulate months before going, were not notified by consulate of the closing of the local borders and were notified to leave ASAP *after* they'd been in line at the airport six of their nine hour wait to find out there no seats left before the deadline. The military is patrolling to enforce the quarantine/curfew.

Are you surprised they are questions why there's been more contacts and a commitment to arrange with the local gov't for repatriation flights for countries like the US, Mexico and Israel?

Other countries that don't have an embassy in country have managed better communication that a couple of automated emails over three plus days.

If Canada can waste money on a ton of other things - surely working with other gov'ts that have invited Canada to make arrangements to bring back hundreds of Canadians is worth it, isn't it?

Cheers

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Shall we fetch everyone ? How do we get the Canadians off the 100 cruise ships they are trapped on ? Some of the ships are infected, so it isn't like they can just fly home.

I am sure the government will do what is possible, but won't risk other Canadians in the process. Already the flight crews are taking a great risk.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
What was that about sticking to "you're on your own" with no repatriation flights? :rolleyes2:
(That didn't take long for an exception by the gov't!!)

Practically speaking ... reports are that some of said countries have 300+ Canadians where the local gov't have said exceptions allowing foreigners to leave could be arranged but only at the request/negotiation of the home country.

You have Canadians who registered with the Canadian consulate months before going, were not notified by consulate of the closing of the local borders and were notified to leave ASAP *after* they'd been in line at the airport six of their nine hour wait to find out there no seats left before the deadline. The military is patrolling to enforce the quarantine/curfew.

Are you surprised they are questions why there's been more contacts and a commitment to arrange with the local gov't for repatriation flights for countries like the US, Mexico and Israel?

Other countries that don't have an embassy in country have managed better communication that a couple of automated emails over three plus days.

If Canada can waste money on a ton of other things - surely working with other gov'ts that have invited Canada to make arrangements to bring back hundreds of Canadians is worth it, isn't it?

Cheers
I think you are still not seeing the real picture here Eclectic12. Read here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-police-arrest-covid-19-1.5505349

The people in Morocco are a large enough number that Air Canada is willing to send a plane for them. It is being done with the consent of our government but it is NOT a government paid 'repatriation flight'. It is a commercial flight by AC and the passengers are being told they have to pay their own fare for that flight.

This kind of co-operation can happen but there is still no doubt people will find themselves stuck in many cases. What is clear is that the government is NOT going to repatriate every Canadian who asks them to. What's more NO Canadians displaying symptoms will be allowed to board any commercial flight coming to Canada, that was announced some time ago. They will have to stay where they are and seek medical attention there if they need it.

The 700 or so Canadians on one cruise ship are being flown back to the USA along with American passengers. On arrival in the USA, they have been told they will then have to make their own way back into Canada. Again, only if they have no symptoms and again, at their own cost, they are NOT being repatriated by our government.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
There are many flights everyday that are no doubt going out empty and returning Canadians. Just took a quick peek and I see 4 in the air right now, two for Puetro Vallarta, two for Cancun. So it looks like a good amount of Canadians on vacation will be returned home but of course, not all.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I just listened to Trudeau's announcements for today. A large part of it was around this exact subject. He made it very clear that it is as I have been saying. Where possible, commercial flights will be arranged. What he did NOT say is that the government will be chartering any planes to bring back Canadians as they did with the Diamond Princess passengers.

So, there will be NO government paid repatriation flights. Only commercial flights where possible for which the passengers will pay their own fares. He also reiterated that no one will be allowed on those flights who displays symptoms. He also made it clear that not all people will be able to get home and that they are being offered the $5k LOAN to help them stay where they are.

There should be no further questions by anyone as to what will happen to those 'stuck' abroad. If a commercial flight cannot be arranged, they will remain stuck.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Keep in mind that there are Canadian expats working who have no intention of returning home. We know at least four of them in our small circle of friends and relatives.

We flew back on Transat this past Thursday from PV, Mexico. There were several empty seats. No in flight service. We were advised of this when we checked in (no on line check in permitted). Each seat pocket had a small bottle of water and a chocolate bar. Flight attendants wore masks and gloves. We seldom saw them. We came back a week or so earlier than we anticipated. We had no problems booking a flight. The prices were not inflated on Transat, though we did see some high prices on Westjet...$275 vs. $1100 for flights on the same day, both direct, within an hour of each other. My understanding is the Westjet subsequently ceased the practice of boosting fares based on demand. The US airlines that had a stop at a US hub were all in the $250-$275 Cad range right up to the day we departed.

Always amazed at some people. DW knows of people who flew down to an AI earlier this week. Go figure. You cannot fix stupid. Our health and well being is far more important to us.

101 - 120 of 188 Posts