Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone mentioned on another thread that they were in Hawaii (presumably on vacation?) and the place was "deserted".
curious to know if anyone's in Florida now...or has friends /family vacationing & any feedback as to what the landscape is like down there...
anyone?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
someone mentioned on another thread that they were in Hawaii (presumably on vacation?) and the place was "deserted".
curious to know if anyone's in Florida now...or has friends /family vacationing & any feedback as to what the landscape is like down there...
anyone?
We are in USA, but not in Florida. We have heard of a few people here heading home, but not many. Our family thinks we should leave too. But we are staying put for a while yet. We are just a day or two's car drive from home. Not like being in Hawaii. Or Mexico for that matter. I hear many Canadians in Mexico are heading home.

·
Registered
363 Posts
We are in USA, but not in Florida. We have heard of a few people here heading home, but not many. Our family thinks we should leave too. But we are staying put for a while yet. We are just a day or two's car drive from home. Not like being in Hawaii. Or Mexico for that matter. I hear many Canadians in Mexico are heading home.
We’re in Florida. If it wasn’t for the TV and Twitter, you wouldn’t know anything was going on. Restaurants are full, beaches are packed, retailers are busy. Couldn’t find a seat at the condo pool. restaurants don’t even have sanitizer at the tables or hostess desk. Grocery stores have inventory....no evidence of hoarding or panic. It almost seems too casual. I did hear that some folks are heading home early. We flew out of Niagara Falls....not sure if that will make coming home easier or more difficult. We’ve made small changes....choosing patios vs eating indoors, opting for take out vs dining in.

The bulk of March break travellers should be arriving tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Interesting ... here in Miami, I have been noticing all week how many people, whether it's food service or things like tours that are wearing gloves. When I said to the bell boy that we had luggage as if we were staying a couple of weeks, he broke out in a big smile and made a comment about that being great. I'm not sure how busy it should be for this time of year but at most, there were two of us and four other people in the pool. Maximum sunbathers was six more people.

We were at the Publix grocery store Thursday night where I overheard a customer inquiring about some sort of fruit where the employee said they were out and would be for a while. The fruit section is the only section I saw a couple of bare spots, in our wanderings.

Friday night, while trying to stock up for the trip home - something like two thirds of the fruit shelves were bare. The bread section was maybe ninety percent empty. Personal size water bottles were out for all but one brand (in short supply). There were about four or five brands of the one litre and up bottles, surrounded by bare shelves. We didn't go down all the rows as we were looking for specific items but at least six rows of shelves that were full or close to it night before are two thirds of the distance or more bare. Not just a single shelf but the bare sections are from floor to the top (usually three shelves).

The cereal for my niece on Thursday was picked up from the front of the shelf (i.e. almost completely full) but tonight, there was four boxes left on the shelf (i.e. mostly empty).

Cheers

PS
Lots of room on South Beach to be on the beach with lots of space.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
It never fails to amaze me how Americans only ever seem to think that the USA is the only country in the world and that everything they do and have is the best.

Their healthcare system as we now is poor and their reaction to this virus has been apalling so far. Florida had 25 new cases reported today.
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/1-death-25-new-covid-19-cases-in-florida-including-several-in-south-florida/2205630/

There is NO question that 'community spread' is starting in Florida and you can expect exponential increases to occur as a result. You could not pay me to be in Florida right now.

Remain at your own risk and remember, when you return that Canada has announced that you are EXPECTED to self-isolate for 14 days after your return to reduce MY risk from you. Thank you.

Money172375, international flights (including from the USA) are now going to be limited to only some airports. This was announced yesterday. It is quite probable that you will not be able to fly back to Niagara Falls. They have not yet announced which airports will be accepting international flights. I expect they will announce that in the next few days. So pay attention, don't just expect to show up at the airport for your flight home as booked, you are going to have to check AFTER they announce which airports are going to be accepting flights to see what they end up changing you to.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
We have been in Mexico for the past seven weeks. Scheduled to fly home on Transat from PVR next Thusday.

We have a backup plan in case the airlines cancel. We will head back to Zih and chill out for another few weeks.

My best guess is that we will be on that plane home on Thusday. Lots of talk from others about returning home early but most seem to be staying with their original air reservations and plans.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
There is NO question that 'community spread' is starting in Florida and you can expect exponential increases to occur as a result. You could not pay me to be in Florida right now.
Would you rather work at Toronto airport processing passengers from China?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We’re in Florida. If it wasn’t for the TV and Twitter, you wouldn’t know anything was going on. Restaurants are full, beaches are packed, retailers are busy. Couldn’t find a seat at the condo pool. restaurants don’t even have sanitizer at the tables or hostess desk. Grocery stores have inventory....no evidence of hoarding or panic. It almost seems too casual. .

where abouts are you money?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
longtimeago:" You could not pay me to be in Florida right now"

let the record show that lta was biased against going to Florida a-long-time-ago.
long before covid-19 was ever a thing. no?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Noted from a post in FWF this morning. From our Foreign Affairs minister https://twitter.com/FP_Champagne/status/1238876190460477442

Get your butts back to Canada, especially if not driving.
I suspect two things might be coming.

1. Full travel ban. Not sure what this would mean for Canadians abroad who want to return. I see this as unlikely.

2. I suspect they will only use Toronto and Vancouver for inbound international flights. If you’re from the prairies or out east, you’re gonna need to go to toronto or Vancouver first. This is almost certain.

We have a family car down here, that normally stays in Florida. We could always drive home, although would rather we take our regularly scheduled flight to Niagara Falls, NY. Our other car is there.

There’s rumours of Trump closing state borders.....California and Washington state as most likely.....I don’t see this happening yet with the current situation.

Off topic. My kids noticed two distinctly different behaviours down here from Canada. Locals have no issue idling their car for more than 30 mins. It’s warm.....80 degrees, but do you really need to idle that long. Secondly, retailers automatically bag everything...even the smallest items. My daughter bought a lip balm and they bagged it. I bought something small separately, and they bagged it separately. We gave both bags back.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Lol I may need to use my boat to get back...

On a serious note allowing Canadians to return only makes sense...barring over seas tourists also makes sense. Approaching peak hysteria I think.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
CBSA agents at land crossings are starting to request anyone (other than trade) entering Canada (including returning Canadians) to self-isolate for 14 days. Eventually it may become an enforced quarantine but that seems extreme at least at all 120 land border crossings. Some are in the middle of nowhere.

Increased screening will begin at select airports and I agree there will likely be entry closure at some of the ~20 International airports. I am speculating maybe half a dozen will remain open.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
....again i dont have much faith in this voluntary self-isolation business...
we're talking human beings here...dumb human beings....

·
Registered
363 Posts
When all this is said and done, I think travel insurance providers are going to see a spike in purchases from now on. People are starting to realize how a simple trip can get complicated real fast.

Are there any numbers yet available that show outbound passengers to Florida today vs last year? I would think today is the traditional departure day. We came down on Tuesday (seems like a lifetime ago.......I think that was one day before Trumps speech).

WestJet is still charging over $500 for a round trip flight tomorrow out of Toronto. Does that mean demand is still there, or limited seats? Or have they not re-priced in reaction?

·
Registered
363 Posts
someone made a good comment on that Twitter post, about having the govt, force the airlines to give you your money back. not a travel credit! amen.
Perhaps they will mandate travel insurance in the future. I rented a car in Europe once and the insurance was mandatory. Was actually good piece of mind when driving in a foreign country and parking in unfamiliar places. If everyone had to take travel/medical insurance, would premiums go down and make it more palatable......or would claims go through the roof........talking about normal circumstances, not 2020.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts