Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm doing a few small ventures on the side.

Fortunately they're making some money, and I'm wondering if there are advantages to incorporating as a small business for them, or at what point it makes sense.

I'm in Ontario.
Business 1 - Blog/Youtube channels - Advertising income about $1500/yr and growing. Right now I declare it as other income, and I've written off some software and equipment (lighting/recording devices, AWS data storage fees, domain names, hosting etc)
By incorporating can I save on taxes? I'm also thinking this might give some income splitting options as I could pay my family members for their contributions, particularly as their activities build up to more profitability.

Business 2 - Etsy/online sales - small volume handmade stuff. Pretty typical, right now it is negligible revenue.
I've obviously got to worry about sales tax and stuff, also there are more expenses to track, when does this make sense.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
It's usually the practice to not incorporate until you start making significant profits. The costs to incorporate and file corporate taxes is significantly higher than a sole proprietorship. As long as you have losses, as a sole proprietorship, you can write off losses against your normal income, so you'll save on taxes that way.

Right now, the costs to own and operate an incorporated company would eat up your entire income if not more. I suppose you wouldn't pay any taxes on it, but you also wouldn't have any money.

A good time to switch would be when your income passes the threshold where you're required to register for a gst/hst number.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts