Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been going to school in sudbury for the last 5 years, and I have been staying in the same apartment that whole time. This is my final year of school, so I dont plan on moving out until I finish.

I have a good relationship with my landlord, never missed a payment and we get along pretty well.

He came and spoke to me the other day to tell me that we wont be around very much until next summer, so he asked me if I could give him post dated checks for the rest of the school year. He doesnt own a computer or a cell phone, so he doesnt do online banking (I have always payed him with checks).

I dont mind giving him the post dated checks, I just wanted to make sure that I understood everything. Are there any negatives with giving him checks for the next 6 months ahead of time?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It is a reasonable request, but not one you are obligated to comply with. The risk is that you lose some leverage with the landlord in the case of some problem or dispute. Post-dated cheques can be "stopped". You should ask your bank what's involved and what the fees are, in the event it is necessary.

If the landlord is away, who is it you will call to have the plumbing fixed or have the storm debris cleared out of the back garden? Could not this person/agency handle payments?

·
Registered
486 Posts
It doesn't sound like there is any need for overthinking this if you trust the landlord. It's not an unusual request.
As Gardner said, you can cancel post-dated cheques before they are cashed if a problem arises.
After five years of renting, that seems unlikely.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
I’ve had tenants give me post dated cheques for their sake over the years. It’s no big deal. I’ve never requested them, it was just easier for the tenant. It never changed me as a landlord, I take pride in making sure my places are well kept.

Maybe, if you had a bad landlord, you’d be worried but, as stated, you can always cancel the cheques.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
I do this for our tenants every year. The bank can handle it in one visit. Tenant issues can be handled from anywhere but cheque deposits cannot. And I would not ask the handymen to handle my cheques.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I'm guessing you don't have a lease and now the landlord is asking for 6 months of "postdated" cheques for the reason he's given. I wouldn't raise an issue - it's not like he can pre-cash those cheques.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The risk is that you lose some leverage with the landlord in the case of some problem or dispute. Post-dated cheques can be "stopped". You should ask your bank what's involved and what the fees are, in the event it is necessary.
What would be a legitimate reason to not pay the rent? From what I know, rent is an obligation once you have a binding lease. Any 'issues' need to be handled in court if there is no agreement between the two parties. You cannot hold back rent for any reason.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
As a landlord I have gotten post dated checks a year in advance many times. It is a convenience for me and for the tenant. You can stop payment on them any time if you need to.

If you can afford it, offer to pay the whole six months at once if he will give you a 10% discount. I leave it to the actuaries and accountants to explain why this is a screaming deal, for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts