Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nominations for year's best post in investing.

he missed the deadline by 12 hrs and 3 mins but Dr. V's work here is a gem:

http://www.canadianmoneyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1599

a little additional comment, herr doktor doktor if i may. Here in north america only medics & dentists call themselves Dr. All other post-docs are content to use the plain honorific mister. If you'd just try that on for size hey i'd say you would be walking on water.

·
Registered
450 Posts
a little additional comment, herr doktor doktor if i may. Here in north america only medics physicians & dentists call themselves Dr. All other post-docsgrads are content to use the plain honorific mister. If you'd just try that on for size hey i'd say you would be walking on water.

??

PhD's are what, chopped liver?

Also, in Europe, not all physicans are "doctors" since many only have undergraduate-level degrees (the MD is a higher level).

·
Registered
382 Posts
??

I'm my line of work I work with many, many people with Psychology or Neuroscience related PhD professors from all over the world; they ALL use Dr. in their title. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, and 99% of the clients I work with don't care that I call them by their first name when responding to their inquiry, so most do not seem stuck up about it or anything.

But when you see Dr. so and so on someones sign, etc, if you are going to work with them, maybe it is good to ask what they are a Dr. of. i.e. what are their actual degree's in, especially if you are going to see a shrink. ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here in north america only medics & dentists call themselves Dr. All other post-docs are content to use the plain honorific mister.
That's not true at all. As per this wikipedia article,

In the United States, the title "Dr." is commonly used professionally by those who have earned a doctorate-level degree, especially in academic settings. In addition, those who have been granted honorary doctorates are entitled to do so, especially in academic settings. The title is also commonly used socially by those holding a doctoral-level degree
In fact, while not the practice in North America, in many parts of the world (such as most of Europe, Egypt, Australia, etc.), the academic title of "Doctor" is legally controlled -- if you use it without an accompanying PhD, you would be committing an offense. It's a title which is also added to one's identification (driver's license, passport, etc.).

==========
Anyway, the secondary purpose of my earlier post (mentioned above) was to get people talking more about stock-picking strategies & valuations ... though, in that respect, it didn't really seem to generate much discussion, so it kind of failed.

Dr. K.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I nominate Leslie for all the spreadsheets, graphs, and links to cited sources and back up documentation for her opinion.

I may not always agree but she supports her arguments and conclusions well and dare I say it in a professional way.

SO WELL DONE LESLIE BRAVO :)

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I may not always agree but she supports her
Hmm....somehow I've always thought of Leslie as a guy.
Not sure why...maybe just his/her way of writing.
He/she is strangely anonymous and reticent about his personal life or non investing side of things (not that I'm asking or curious or anything).

And yes, I second the nomination - certainly a valued member of this (and other) forum(s).

·
Registered
382 Posts
I nominate Leslie for all the spreadsheets, graphs, and links to cited sources and back up documentation for her opinion.

I may not always agree but she supports her arguments and conclusions well and dare I say it in a professional way.

SO WELL DONE LESLIE BRAVO :)
I third this vote; how many posts does that take me to now? ;)

Seriously, leslie is one serious investing machine and shares actual data and specifics a lot of the time.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
??

LOL.:D

I'm just a newbie here, so I don't know who the smart contributors are, though I think there are many, however, I have read Leslie here and on other forums and what I noticed is that she gives very, very conservative advice to new investors so as to protect them from making big mistakes & I think this is a very nice personal touch that he/she offers, so she must be a woman!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts