Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had a setback in my finances and I am very upset about it.

I have been in business for almost three years now, I rent apartments/houses on behalf of landlords and I also do property management.

The volume of people getting me to rent apartments is really low right now, I am surviving on my property management which does not pay all that much.

So my hubby is after me to cash some investments in to pay stuff like bills which are piling up. I feel like I'm going backwards and really depressed about it. I have worked really hard to put my small investments away. Like $50 and $100 at a time for about the last three years.

We live a very frugal life style. Last year after expenses my income was only about $15000. Granted I am self employed so I get to claim expenses first. There are the three of us living on that. I have no rent or mortgage to pay. I also usually contribute $327 per month to my son's RESP. He is fully funded pretty much.... i have cancelled this to increase our cash flow a little.

Anyways after all this scraping and saving and coupon clipping I am having to cash in some RRSP's. Really not just so much a question of the money but rather the emotional feeling of losing ground.

Anyone else have some stories about this? My hubby is getting testy because I am taking this really personally he says "this is a bad recession due to your planning we have something to fall back on" but I am not gruntled about it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the hard part - getting landlords. In June the phone was ringing, now just not so much.

I have advertising out in a few spots but the best place is craigslist believe it or not.

I mostly work for people who only have one or two units. I wish to work for people who have small buildings.

I like bringing buildings around and turning them from places you don't want your dog to live in with lots of vacancy to places that are decent and full.

I'm also good at finding good investments. Both the last two items are hard for me to monetize.

I'm sure there's a lesson around here somewhere:p

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hubby takes care of our son while I am working. My son is not quite 2. My hubby can't get a job here in Canada until we get final approval from Immigration. He is American. He is also not the type to get a cash job. Also our son is a full time job trust me.

You are right I should not have put the money in RRSP's. TFSA is a much better thing in case i have to take it out. Plus because of my low income i just deferred claiming it on my income tax anyways. I was only starting investing back then..... my financial advisor hahaha told me to put it there. Oh and the investment is a money losing machine.

Anyways since I posted this, I have done rattled a few chains and some dough fell down. I may yet save the RRSP. Thank god my overhead is so low. Situations like these are exactly why I am so maniacal about keeping it that way. In any case I can't get a hold of my financial advisor to take it out.

This is just another lull and that's part of being in business. If it was smooth sailing everyone would be in business. Dealing with stress and strain is the hardest part of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.