Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a panel discussion on CNBC today in which the participants stated that they could detect a change in sentiment in the U.S. economy and markets this week. They used terms like "pattern changing", "seeing a turn", and "markets stabilizing". Investors are starting to realize that there are early indications that "the end of the world is not nigh" and that, in fact, we already have gone through the end of the world!! Although we will not experience a 'typical' recovery, the economy is now on a "positive path for growth" according to this panel.

Anyway, this is the last week for light summer trading volumes and most of the big traders will be back next week and we will see where that takes us.

Buy low!!!

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I was watching a panel discussion on CNBC today in which the participants stated that they could detect a change in sentiment in the U.S. economy and markets this week. They used terms like "pattern changing", "seeing a turn", and "markets stabilizing". Investors are starting to realize that there are early indications that "the end of the world is not nigh" and that, in fact, we already have gone through the end of the world!! Although we will not experience a 'typical' recovery, the economy is now on a "positive path for growth" according to this panel.

Anyway, this is the last week for light summer trading volumes and most of the big traders will be back next week and we will see where that takes us.

Buy low!!!
I won't put too much faith in what talking heads on CNBC say. Most of them have an incentive to be bullish.

That said, I personally feel stocks offer good (but not great) value here. And it does seem to me that so many investors are negative on the markets.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Sounds like empty rhetoric to me. They've been feeding us those lines through the entire recession. We're in a recession and things are NOT "Getting better". Millions of people without work, homes being lost, people unable to find work, low consumer confidence and spending, it's not good. I realize their goal is probably to keep relative calm and not panic people, but I think the reality on the streets is a lot different than the rosy picture they're trying to paint. There's all kinds of really sad stories out there. For the average person, that's reality.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Sounds like empty rhetoric to me. They've been feeding us those lines through the entire recession. We're in a recession and things are NOT "Getting better". Millions of people without work, homes being lost, people unable to find work, low consumer confidence and spending, it's not good. I realize their goal is probably to keep relative calm and not panic people, but I think the reality on the streets is a lot different than the rosy picture they're trying to paint. There's all kinds of really sad stories out there. For the average person, that's reality.
Are you talking about Canada? Because I haven't seen anything like what you describe.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Front page of the Financial Post says, "Global Stocks Catch Fire" and Chinese and US indexes fuel hope of a real recovery. Also in the US pending home sales rise. So there is a lot to be positive about today.

Then you go back a week or so ago and the news was all bad. I don't think it is a good idea to be a bull or bear at this point and it would probably be best to just stay to the sidelines for the next few months.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Watching from the sidelines for about the next TWO months might be a viable option but, all things considered, I think that the markets could end the year ten to fifteen percent higher than where they are now.

However, nobody knows--not even your advisor.:eek:

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
The sentiments of the experts on TV change faster than the weather.
Nothing's different this week than last. And last week wasn't (fundamentally) any different than the one before.
I see the run-up since last 2 weeks as a good opportunity to sell of some stocks that you might have been waiting to (for other reasons) or to take some profit on the slackers that may have been hovering near break even.

·
Banned
94 Posts
The sentiments of the experts on TV change faster than the weather.
Nothing's different this week than last. And last week wasn't (fundamentally) any different than the one before.
I see the run-up since last 2 weeks as a good opportunity to sell of some stocks that you might have been waiting to (for other reasons) or to take some profit on the slackers that may have been hovering near break even.
CNBC is the best on this. Less info and more hype. BNN and Bloomberg are better.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spend quite a bit of TV watching time split mostly between CNBC, BNN, and the Cartoon Network and I find them all about equally informative.

The sentiment this week is definitely more positive than the gloom of recent weeks as reflected in the markets.

Now, next week is an entirely different matter.:confused:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
playing the CCCs.

CC is pretty good at calling the lows in cratering stocks. He says it's only a play money pastime. But twice he's hit the nail on the head - and each time from a great distance.

the $30 low in shoppers was a perfect call, almost to the hour & certainly to the day. BP at $37 was a little more wobbly, but anybody acting on the CCC with options has not lost.

CC how do you call RIM & MFC.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
playing the CCCs.

CC is pretty good at calling the lows in cratering stocks. He says it's only a play money pastime. But twice he's hit the nail on the head - and each time from a great distance.

the $30 low in shoppers was a perfect call, almost to the hour & certainly to the day. BP at $37 was a little more wobbly, but anybody acting on the CCC with options has not lost.

CC how do you call RIM & MFC.
It's much easier to have an opinion when real money isn't on the line!!!

I've been watching RIM but not MFC. It is tempting to see RIM trading at less than 10x earnings. However, technology is so fast-moving that it is impossible to see how to value RIM's revenue stream. It does seem to me though that US analysts seem bent on driving down the stock. Any bit of good news out of RIM will be good for the stock.

FD: No positions in any of the companies.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
If this thread is about market timing based on what the networks are saying today, then what is today's sentiment from the Cartoon Network? Or CNN, CBC?

I use CNBC and BNN to get ideas on individual stocks to evaluate. For overall trends, I tend to follow some of the Blogs. How many times has the DOW hit 10000? How many more times? This means that the trend is sideways. Markets don't turn between Aug 31 and Sept 1!

·
Banned
113 Posts
If this thread is about market timing based on what the networks are saying today, then what is today's sentiment from the Cartoon Network? Or CNN, CBC?
that's a really good point. A really good one. I'm tempted to see if I can devise a trading system based on cartoons and see how it tracks against the pros.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My bet is that the system based on the cartoons has just as good a chance at success as that of the so-called experts.

You might start by studying Daffy Duck!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
This week at least it looks like a double dip is unlikely. TD economics says only another crises would cause another recession at this point. We can only hope but it is looking better....

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If you think the stock market will be going up then MFC is a great leverage play on that. Of course it will dive hard if the market falls.

RIM I think is easier bought at the end of October which is a good seasonal period for Tech. And I hear there is a lot of stuff coming out this year to be exited about Tech as we get closer to Christmas and year end.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another good week on the markets! I hope that you are not one of those sitting on the sidelines!!:eek:

TSX: UP 2.23%

Dow: UP 2.93%

Nasdaq: UP 3.72%

You can't gain if you don't play!!

Buy low!!!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Belguy if you look at the RSI and so on the markets did telegraph a buying opportunity, but that is for traders. For the people who don't like trading the sidelines are the best place to be.

Of course if you are buying weekly or monthly then you should just stay the course unless you have some huge amount invested already in the market.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts