Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling stock in RRSP account but not withdrawling money, stays in cash section of RRSP then purchase an ETF, any tax on this transaction, I am guessing no because only tax on withdrawls, correct?

P.S. will be a US stock

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is correct, you only get taxed if you withdraw from the RRSP.

the stock is Apple and it is currently in my non-registered account, want to transfer to my RRSP account, realize capital gains will occur(it's up 10% since I bought it) but with the good possibility of the stock price moving up and my overall goal of selling it to aquire a low risk ETF I thought it would be a better idea to have in the registered account because the capital gains are only going to get higher(realize now should have done this when I bought it but that was before I need the particulars about transfering to a registered account), good idea?

·
Banned
5 Posts
... Uncle Sam may not care about Canuckistan's RRwuh?
This is funny... :D :D

I don't think it's Uncle Sam's problem at all.

I'd also thought that NAFTA would have some sort of provision that helps Canadians in this regard, until I found this article: http://www.taxtips.ca/divtaxcredits.htm - foreign dividends do not qualify for a dividend tax credit.

However, if I understand correctly, dividends will not incur in any taxes regardless of origin, for as long as they are held in a RRSP.

If you are talking about the US somehow eliminating the double-taxation exclusively for Canadians only because of this RRSP Canadian shizzle, I don't think so: You don't get anything more back from dividends payed by Canadian corporations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts