Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any seasonal investors that sell their equities in May? Typically this is the time where the market underperforms or plateaus.

I've never followed this seasonal strategy before and I don't know how I could sell all my stocks. What would I do with the cash? bonds? GICs? find a stock that is not seasonal and pays a dividend etc.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I don't understand what you're asking in the last part of your question. Cash, bonds and GICs are not equity.

As far as the first part of the question, I think that given the market's recent highs, combined with a certain amount of global uncertainty combined with the seasonal effect makes this a good time to rebalance the portfolio by lightening up a little on equities.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't understand what you're asking in the last part of your question. Cash, bonds and GICs are not equity.

He wonders what he should do with the money (cash) he received of his selling his stocks. Should he buy things like bonds and GIC's?

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's a good strategy to buy a stock when it is worth least in between May and October, and sell them at their highest between November April. Of course, it does not happen for all the stocks. That's why you have do some study of the individual stock. I would also be curious to know if some people here do that.

·
Banned
424 Posts
You could hold a basket of TD e-series funds; i.e. index cheaply in the off season. With no trading fees except a redemption charge for short holds, and little research required you can focus on your seasonal interests, and keep your off season investing simple.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do your research on the seasonal investing if you're considering using it. There's much more to it than that one vague expression.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
By May most of the RRSP or save for retirement money is in play and many investors start to take holidays especially in summer of course and trading volume drops. You can get rallies in the summer and declines but they usually are not that big. The big drops usually place in the fall when everyone is back at work and by the end of October it provides good entry points.

Gold is usually a good investment in mid-summer as dealers buy in preparation for jewelery sales in India and so on. Nat Gas has a good entry time frame at the end of August. For some fun with seasonality go here http://www.equityclock.com/seasonality/

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would like to see a website that will show the price of any stock I choose for any particular time, in form of a graph. The chart would show the price for each day or the highest price for any particular month. My goal is to determine what the best time to buy a stock in the recent years. In other words, I want to test the seasonality theory. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would like to see a website that will show the price of any stock I choose for any particular time, in form of a graph. The chart would show the price for each day or the highest price for any particular month. My goal is to determine what the best time to buy a stock in the recent years. In other words, I want to test the seasonality theory. Thanks.
Globeinvestor, Google Finance, Yahoo, any of these websites will have the information that you are asking for.

·
Registered
338 Posts
freestockcharts.com is better.

You can choose 1 minute time frame to yearly. Just set it to monthly and each bar will show you the high, low, closing price and direction for that month.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Periodic rebalancing one's portfolio as required is good investment strategy.

On the other hand, trying to time the markets is essentially a mug's game that precious few investors are successful at but, heh, it's a free country and so go ahead and try if you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts