Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good job. Since you can't know what will happen in the future, the best time to pull the trigger is right when you've made up your mind.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Well it's done, the two positions (S&P 500 and gold) have been greatly reduced. I did compensate very slightly, and bought a small amount in a couple accounts where I could, but it's still a big reduction in those two assets.

After minor adjustments this morning, asset allocation ended up at: 29% stocks, 20% gold, 51% bonds. That's much closer to my targets than I was before I began all the liquidation! So I absolutely still am "on plan".

It appears that I have rebalanced during this forced withdrawal. Looking at this from an asset allocation perspective, the net effect of the buy/sell transactions is that I withdrew $ from gold and the S&P 500, since these were the strongest recent areas.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Gold price sharply went down 4.5% by now today. So, you did "sell high"! Good job done.
Yeah this is a sharp drop. At the moment, my exit point is looking good, but still too early to tell. Can't really draw any conclusions from a single day move.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
News breaking on Bloomberg, that this is believed to have been a manipulated market rally for several months. And of course news like this only comes out after Wall Street dumps their positions... why do you think this hits the wire after Friday close, before a long weekened?

Options Traders Whipped Up Stock Boom With SoftBank Buying

Analysts believe this was a positive feedback loop sparked by undisclosed, extremely large option purchases by Softbank.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts