Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Though I work from home, I enjoy working from coffee shops and other settings once in a while. It helps stimulate me and boost my productivity. In the summer, I was doing a bit of this at outdoor coffee shops but now that it's getting colder, I'm thinking of other options. I don't want to do this indoors at Starbucks, which is what I did last winter before COVID.

There's a hotel I like in the same city I live in. I booked a room and plan to spend a solid day of working, sleep overnight, and do some more work. It's a change of scenery and getaway. If that works out well, I'm thinking I might book it a few times during the winter months or do the same in some towns throughout the province, an excuse to take a little trip and stimulate my mind. I would work during the daytime and have fun in the evening.

Do you think this could qualify as a business expense (as rented work space)? Do you think it would be a 100% business use, or a lower percentage because of the time I'm also eating, sleeping, and resting in the evening? While it's true that some of the time is personal time, the way I work is that once I am in "work mode" I pretty much power through work, even if it means little breaks here and there.

·
Registered
10,621 Posts
Nothing substantive ... but personally, without a rationale that the hotel time is required or requested by the client, I would doubt it.

Cheers

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nothing substantive ... but personally, without a rationale that the hotel time is required or requested by the client, I would doubt it.
It's all deductible until someone comes along and says otherwise.
Thanks. One new thing that just popped up is some maintenance and construction work at my apartment (my usual home office). Today for example it was very loud and disruptive during prime business hours. And there is documentation to prove the construction is happening.

Do you think renting / going to a hotel under those conditions would change things?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that it would be a deduction on my tax return. Very unlikely you will ever be audited anyway, and if you are it would only cost you the same amount of tax you would pay if you don't deduct it, plus a miniscule amount of interest.

Make note of those issues you mentioned above and deduct as an office expense. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
There is no doubt in my mind that it would be a deduction on my tax return. Very unlikely you will ever be audited anyway, and if you are it would only cost you the same amount of tax you would pay if you don't deduct it, plus a miniscule amount of interest.

Make note of those issues you mentioned above and deduct as an office expense. Just my opinion of course.
Great, thanks! I talked to the building manager today and learned that this construction is going to last for months. I'm a bit concerned about the interruptions, especially if I need to have a meeting.

·
Registered
10,621 Posts
I suspect you are already planning to do this but if there was a notice sent out about the work, I'd keep a copy or asked for a letter from the building manager. Easy to store if questions come up later.

Cheers

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I suspect you are already planning to do this but if there was a notice sent out about the work, I'd keep a copy or asked for a letter from the building manager. Easy to store if questions come up later.
Thanks, yes I will keep the notice of construction work.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts