Canadian Money Forum banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Oh wow. pwm - so does that mean something like, the bad guys someone got access through the debit card? Perhaps a card skimmer that intercepted the debit card details.

Everyone should log into their online banking and check that all looks normal.
I would recommend enabling email/sms notification on all your banking accounts if your institution supports that. Scotiabank supports this and I use the feature. I receive an emails every time there's a movement in my accounts/credit cards and it's almost instantaneous. Easy way to catch inconsistencies right away. It would also be very useful if Canadian banks adopt a dual factor authentication (and I am not talking about the security question feature) upon every login. SMS/APP based second factor would help a lot.

On the other hand, I thought Interac eTransfer only works for Canadian Accounts, i.e. the money must be deposited back into a Canadian bank account. Not sure what the following means: "detected a fraudulent e-transfer of ~ $1400 from her chequing account from a location outside Canada."

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #164

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Man, can't keep up.
Yeah, phone scammers are the scum of the earth.

Myself, I have my home phone set to ring a special ring if I know the person who's calling. Pretty much every phone system has that feature - nothing special, it just matches the number to the contacts list in the phone.

If I don't get the special ring, I don't answer the phone. I don't even have to go to the phone to see who's calling if the ring isn't the special one.

Like everyone else I have call answer, so if that un-special person really wants to contact me, they can leave a message. If it's a scammer and they leave some silly alarmist message, I can then check out the appropriate web site such as CRA, etc and determine if it's a scam.

If everyone followed those simple rules, there would be 0% successful scamming and it would stop.

ltr

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Zelle, a competitor to Venmo et al, is suffering from unprecedented scams, and the sponsoring banks are not standing behind the service.

NYT Article

I guess we should be glad for Interac etransfer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tough

Oh scammers; running haywire. Some of them are just plain extortion. They lock down your PC until you pay them for the key. Something called ransomware. One reason I don't use Windows any more.

Ubuntu is better in terms of security afaik.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Oh scammers; running haywire. Some of them are just plain extortion. They lock down your PC until you pay them for the key. Something called ransomware. One reason I don't use Windows any more.

Ubuntu is better in terms of security afaik.
I never understood the ransomeware scam. Why wouldn't you just format your drive and reload Windows, and then load your documents and data from your backup USB stick?

ltr

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Assuming one is technically up to formatting the drive and reloading windows ... sure.

The typically bigger problem is that most people aren't taking backups or if they are, they backed them up to the same drive that was encrypted by the ransomware.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Assuming one is technically up to formatting the drive and reloading windows ... sure.

The typically bigger problem is that most people aren't taking backups or if they are, they backed them up to the same drive that was encrypted by the ransomware.

Cheers
Should probably reformat even if you pay the ransom, as they may leave behind spyware.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Should probably reformat even if you pay the ransom, as they may leave behind spyware.
Totally agree. So if someone has to reformat and reload, why would anyone ever pay these scammers? No doubt there are a few people who don't ever back up their data, but it can't be that many people to make this a profitable scam.

Companies generally are very good at backing up data, so why would they pay?

ltr

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
YMMV ... back in the day as a consultant, at times when checking the backups - it would be found that the backups weren't being run. Or in other cases, there was no testing being run so that the fact that of thirty days of backups taken, only two were usable. Or in other cases, no one was checking the backup logs so that errors over thirty days meant no backups were available.

My current company does not backup laptops or desktops. Despite lots of educational training - guess what complaint happens when a hard drive fails? :rolleyes2:

Cheers

·
Registered
255 Posts
^ I assume that company applications/data run/is kept on a secured company server/servers and that it's user personal stuff that's lost when a user desktop/laptop fails? If users are storing company data on their desktops/laptops that's seriously amateurish for sure ... and on and on and on ... yikes.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Main transactional apps ... yes.
Output from the apps, strategic plans etc. have been one the user desktop/laptop. It's part of the fun of having the business making IT decisions. :biggrin:

Cheers

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Companies generally are very good at backing up data, so why would they pay?ltr
Companies are generally not great a backing up data. Speak to some of the larger IT firms and they will tell you it often comes down to $$$. Cloud backup solutions can be compromised and not all companies will have a back up for a back up....

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
My co-worker had a new one (or at least it is to me )

Someone used his picture, name to create a new FB account. The date of birth and email address were wrong.
Then invitations to be friends were sent at least to those on his friend list.

A surprising number of people who already were friends (including some who worked in IT) quickly accepted the friend request. Requests for money then arrived, pretending to be him.

After about three of his more suspicious friends messages or called him, it was report to FB and the bogus account was disabled.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Same things happened to me. I quickly replaced my picture with one of my cat and advised everyone to ignore friend requests. FB eventually removed him. I also refuse friends requests as a general rule.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We are home after an eight week absence. It has only been three days. Who gave out our cell numbers. Very odd that we are both getting these very same calls within the same time frame.

So far we have each had two calls from a voice claiming to be Service Canada security. Plus DW had one on her voice mail from a few days prior to our return. Big trouble if we do not hit 1, wait for a so called Justice Dept. operator to come on the line so that we can provide our SIN numbers (and those that do fall for this are probably asked for much more). Penalty for not doing so... a home visit from the gendarmes plus an AI vacation courtesy of the Federal prison service. We are not quite ready for another vacation. Besides, I do not know if they have wifi in these facilities.

In between.....at least three calls each. We are lucky and generous. We have each won at least three all expense paid vacations, hotel stays, and or cruises. We just got home from weeks of travel so we decided to pass and let someone else have the joy. But they still call. We will not be changing our minds.

·
Registered
938 Posts
So far we have each had two calls from a voice claiming to be Service Canada security.
I got one from "CRA" :tongue-new: that said my name would be passed to the Grand Jury. Grand Fail i'd say - we don't have Grand Jury in Canada! That's just how stupid you have to be to fall for that.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts