Canadian Money Forum banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
^ No, you first have to sound like your wife before you tell them that.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
The recent postings got me thinking as I'm not sure these are real scams.

I donate to various big name (health-related particularly) charities throughout the year(s), increasingly over the years. In return they send me newsletter, Easter seals, knickknacks, etc. reminding me of more donations (obviously). But recently, other charities that I have not donated to (a big well known hospital) or one unknownst to me (refugees center) have been sending me requests for donations. It would seem my name/mailing info have been sold, potentially opening a floodgate now. Obviously, I'm annoyed if this is the case but then those new requests got my name spelled wrong which red-flagged me to thinking these might be scammers. And I'm also now wondering who is a legit or who isn't a legit charity?

·
Registered
938 Posts
The recent postings got me thinking as I'm not sure these are real scams.

I donate to various big name (health-related particularly) charities throughout the year(s), increasingly over the years. In return they send me newsletter, Easter seals, knickknacks, etc. reminding me of more donations (obviously). But recently, other charities that I have not donated to (a big well known hospital) or one unknownst to me (refugees center) have been sending me requests for donations. It would seem my name/mailing info have been sold, potentially opening a floodgate now. Obviously, I'm annoyed if this is the case but then those new requests got my name spelled wrong which red-flagged me to thinking these might be scammers. And I'm also now wondering who is a legit or who isn't a legit charity?
I really hate getting all that junk mail with "gifts" from charities that I have never given my name. I think it's the Canadian Red Cross that sold their donor list. The stickers have my name and address all over them, so normally I would shred that kind of thing before tossing it out, but the sticky labels might gum up the shredder.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I had a recurring call from area code 623 so I finally answered it, and he had detected a virus in my computer. I say "No ony computer is iPad under Applecare" and hung up. So far no more calls.

I also never respond to money requests on the phone. I say "Already sent in the card!"

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had an interesting call this morning. The caller wanted to set up an appointment for someone to visit my house to inspect my water heater and do a safety check.
That was a first for me.

·
Registered
17,071 Posts
Over the last couple days, I've received a huge number of calls (about a dozen) mostly showing a 613 Ottawa area code. They are automated scam recordings threatening legal action for some crime, social insurance number etc... beware.

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Interesting it's been 702 numbers for me where Service Canada has started a legal action against me.
CRA seems to have stopped with the legal actions for now. :rolleyes2:

Cheers

·
Registered
17,071 Posts
It's worth remembering that Caller ID is incredibly easy to fake, so a scammer can put arbitrary information into a phone call. They could even make it look like it's coming from the real/correct phone number for a government office or bank.

Never trust any call that comes to you. Even if it's the bank or something potentially serious, say you will call them back. Then you contact the real number you know of.

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
I also make sure to call from a different phone than the one that received the message. For example, if the call was received on my cell phone, I'll call back on a work or home phone.

Cheers

·
Registered
17,071 Posts
I also make sure to call from a different phone than the one that received the message. For example, if the call was received on my cell phone, I'll call back on a work or home phone.
That's a good idea. I had not thought of that.

There's a story in the news today about these new scams using with fake caller IDs appearing to come from legitimate government departments. Definitely a step up in the realism of the scams:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fraud-spoofing-canada-government-1.5348659

Remember everyone, caller ID is easily faked! From the story:

To deceive potential victims who examine the numbers on incoming calls, the scammers spoof their calls so that they display the phone numbers of the relevant federal government departments. In many cases, a scammer tells a victim they will be getting a call from a police officer — then spoofs the call that comes in a few minutes later so that it appears to be coming from local police.
Whenever in doubt about any of this, it is always better to just not talk to them. Even if they say it is the police and you think it might be real, just say "no thanks" and hang up the phone. In fact even if it really is the police, that is also a fine course of action -- you do not have any legal obligation to ever talk to anyone, including the real police, over the phone.

Either:
a) just hang up the phone, no matter what they're saying, or
b) say "no thanks and I think this might be a scam, I will contact the bank/police/CRA myself", hang up

Course b) is perfectly safe, even for legitimate calls that are important.

Taking this advice a little bit further... you also have NO obligation to talk to someone showing up at your door, no matter what they say. A man could show up at your door, claim to be a police officer, and you do not have to talk to him. Scammers have been known to appear at the door and claim to be police or other officials. You do not have to talk to anyone -- police or otherwise. The answer is the same as these phone calls: say "no thanks, I am not talking to you" and shut the door right away.

Example #1: a car on your street seems to have blown up or been set on fire, and there's a parade of police and fire trucks outside. A uniformed officer knocks on your door a few minutes later and wants to talk to you, ask questions. This is probably a real police officer.

Example #2: you're watching TV on a normal, quiet evening when you're interrupted out of the blue by a man at the door. He is wearing plain clothes but claims to be a police or government investigator. He flashes a badge. There is no reason to think he's real -- say "No" and immediately close the door.

Example #3: you're watching TV on a normal, quiet evening when you're interrupted by a phone call. It shows the caller ID from the local police station and a man says that you're in a lot of trouble and must talk to them. Say "No" and immediately hang up. Resume watching TV.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I think we have to realize that some of these scams have become increasingly sophisticated and that it is no longer just 'stupid' people who fall for them. Even the most wise and wary among us can be fooled.

My approach is simple, I only talk to people who I know or am expecting a call from. So a call from my Dentist's receptionist to re-confirm an appointment is fine but a call from my bank will get a hang up from me. A call from a contractor I am waiting for a call back from is fine but a call from the CRA whom I am NOT expecting a call from, will get a hang up from me.

The same basic principle applies to e-mails. I don't open e-mails I don't expect to receive from someone.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Even if you're not sure at first if the call is legit, at some point it should become obvious that it isn't.....

If it's a recorded message, it's bogus, period.
"CRA" calls and asks for your SIN number. Duh, you called me, you tell me my number.
They ask for payment in Bitcoin or iTunes cards. Ask instead that they mail a paper statement that you can take to the bank to pay.
They threaten to send your name to the "Grand Jury". This is Canada a**hole!
They threaten any legal action without prior written notice, or right to appeal.

On the CBC TV news report this morning, it was a millenial woman who was taken for several thousands. So now, when you hear about a new scam, still alert your elderly contacts ( because all old people are stupid ), and your "30 somethings" as well.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Code:
The toll taken by the CRA spoofing scam
Since 2014 scammers posing as Canada Revenue Agency or immigration officers have defrauded Canadians of millions of dollars.

YEAR #REPORTS	#VICTIMS	$LOSS
2014	1,559	136	          302,891
2015	15,647	765	        2,404,351
2016	23,920	1,195		3,585,051
2017	12,286	812	        3,056,955
2018	22,421	1,490		6,410,213
2019	2,639	297	        1,010,407
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fraud-spoofing-canada-government-1.5348659

·
Registered
45 Posts
So far today I've had three calls on my cell phone from numbers in the the 905 area code, and the next three numbers are 392-#### (the last four numbers keep changing every time they call). I don't answer, then I block the number, but then they call from a different #. I'll NEVER answer, but it's so annoying. Partial voicemails left that obviously indicate it's a scam. Is there any point in reporting this to the government fraud website? Not like anyone can track them down since the numbers are no doubt fake. Wonder when they'll stop calling. I'm not gullible, but obviously there are gullible people out there or they'd find another game.

Edited for typo

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
... That's a good idea. I had not thought of that ...
Stories like this one are why I prefer using a different phone. Or at least waiting a long time to sure be sure the dial tone isn't being spoofed and the call has disconnected.
Det. Sgt. Ian Nichol says starting in November, victims began coming forward about receiving calls from a retailer telling them they were the target of credit card fraud.

Police say the caller would remain on the line after telling victims to hang up and call 911 or their bank, exploiting a quirk in landline phone technology that allowed the fraudster to redirect the call seconds later to another impostor claiming to be a police detective or a bank fraud investigator.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/fraudsters-bilk-5-1m-from-torontonians-in-phone-scam-police-1.3797184

In a 2014 Guardian article, something like two thirds of BT phone stayed connected for several minutes, despite the receiving phone hanging up. The telecom companies were described as being under pressure to shorten the disconnect time but some lines were reported as easier to do this on than others.

Cheers

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tired of getting Robo calls? Telus (no I don't work for them) has a new 'Call Control' feature for landlines. When a caller phones, a message is heard once to press a number to continue the call. If pressed, the call continues and the calling number is remembered so this only occurs once. A robo call won't hear that request to enter the random number and the call is blocked. Too bad it isn't available on cells (yet). Now no more of those CRA, credit card, furnace cleaning etc calls and I'm getting lonely lol. Now there is no real reason to have the landline anymore except to fax!
Dial *99
To turn on press 2
To turn off press 1
or log into you account and activate from there.

181 - 200 of 206 Posts