1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following works in the USA, I haven't yet tested it yet in Canada:

WALMART:
Look for the shelf prices that end in 1 cent. Example: $19.31
That means that this particular product has been reduced, but not advertised. Apparently WALMART doesn't charge 1 penny on their pricing of any other products. Just wander the isles looking at the price tags, until you find one with the 1 cent ending. Then looksat the product to see if it is something you want. This can save you lots of money and you can get lots of products you're wanting.

COSTCO:
Look for shelf prices ending in 97 cents. Example $19.97
This type of pricing for Costco means they are selling for less than cost.
:) :) :)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
This sounds like one of those urban legends so I was skeptical and looked it up online; in fact it seems to be true, at least in the U.S.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Costco

This is true for Costco but I'm not certain of Walmart. I've picked up many great deals on clearance items at Costco ending in .97.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't know about Costco and Walmart, but I would advise anyone that a better strategy would be to pay attention to actual prices and ignore sale ads or other indicators. Use a note pad if necessary!

My local Superstore uses two colors for shelf price tags: white for regular price and yellow for "sale price". In fact, the color of the tag has is no indicator of whether or not you're getting a deal. I've seen the yellow tags used when products were selling for anywhere from 50% - 175% of their regular price. I've also seen the white tags used for products up to 50% off. If anything, look for prices ending with .00 or .50, but this is no guarantee.

Add flyers are also not great indicators of a deal. My local Safeway regularly advertises "Extreme Savings!" prices that are still 10-20% higher than regular prices at Superstore/Walmart etc.

And one more: Back to Superstore. My local store has markedly different prices for produce on weekdays than it does on weekends. Some recent examples:

Broccoli bunches, $1.69 (Saturday); $0.98 (Tuesday)
Oranges, $0.98/pound (Saturday); $0.69/pound (Tuesday)
Grapes, $1.98/pound (Saturday); $1.69/pound (Tuesday)

This does not coincide with the sales period of their flyers, and it also isn't because the produce is old. If you want a deal on the "old" produce. Your best bet is to go looking on Sunday after 5 pm, Monday morning or Monday evening after 8 pm. :)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Also, it goes without saying that one should not buy something that's a great deal simply because it's a great deal. In fact, Costco and Walmart depend on people to think this way, and thus spend money that they wouldn't have otherwise.

I've never shopped at either of these places, but wherever I do shop, I go with a list and I don't pick up something I don't need simply because it's a bargain and I might use it someday.

My father used to buy canned goods when he saw them on sale for 50 percent off, and kept them in the basement. He spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on them, but never used them. They were still there in the basement when he died, about 600 cans of stuff, a total waste of money.

·
Banned
104 Posts
My father used to buy canned goods when he saw them on sale for 50 percent off, and kept them in the basement. He spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on them, but never used them. They were still there in the basement when he died, about 600 cans of stuff, a total waste of money.
Ah but the psychotic side of me fantasizes about having a treasure trove of canned goods, in the event of an economic apocalypse... I keep it under control most of the time, until I see a movie like I am Legend, and I want to fill the grocery cart with cans of everything... :)

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, it goes without saying that one should not buy something that's a great deal simply because it's a great deal. In fact, Costco and Walmart depend on people to think this way, and thus spend money that they wouldn't have otherwise.

I've never shopped at either of these places, but wherever I do shop, I go with a list and I don't pick up something I don't need simply because it's a bargain and I might use it someday.

I didn't realize there was that many 'inept' people out there. :(

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah but the psychotic side of me fantasizes about having a treasure trove of canned goods, in the event of an economic apocalypse... I keep it under control most of the time, until I see a movie like I am Legend, and I want to fill the grocery cart with cans of everything... :)
Sounds more like a 'Mormon' thing.:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Compare before you buy anyways.. Something like this smacks of a bait-n-switch as soon as it becomes well known they will use it to trick people.

Never hurts to know the best prices. I was just explaining to some folks complaining about insurance rates that it's a competitive market, go get the best prices and force your provider to match. If they don't match prices then you go to the lowest price.

Also glad someone posted that cheap prices aren't the best reason to make a purchase. I have friends that buy crap just because it's cheap and then they are giving it away later when they realize nobody wants/needs that crap.

So silly!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
somewhat unbelievably, Justin Trudeau's glamourous wife sophie grégoire once worked as a personal shopper at haut-de-ligne holt renfrew.

what has this got to do with the price of chicken ?

here's what. A small greek supermarket in downtown montreal offers ultra-healthy mediterranean food products. Wide array of ultra-fresh fruits & vegetables. Patriarch of the owning family personally shops for these at 4 am every morning in the marché centrale. Hi quality & huge selection of fresh fish, meat, cheeses, yoghurts. Every imaginable variety of beans, rice & grains. Olive oils, vinegars.

prices are the lowest in montreal. Much lower than costco. Apparently because the tiny family-owned chain has no middlemen.

here's the sophie grégoire aspect. There's a luscious weekly online flyer. You can phone or email your grocery list. Orders are shopped by a group of unbelievably polite & charming young women equipped with cell phones. They'll phone you to discuss details of your order, if you like. Example: hello, we don't seem to have any whole canned tomatoes on the shelf at this moment, would you accept diced ? The greek owners teach the personal shoppers to pick the best & the freshest produce, rather than to ship anything bruised or dated, although the latter is what one might expect. The bottom line is that these girls shop better for you than your own daughter ever could or would, and probably better than you could yourself. The time saving is incredible. Groceries arrive a mere couple of hours after order placement. Even the drivers are pleasant.

the charge for this elegant personal shopping service, à la sophie-grégoire-at-holt-renfrew ? So far, nada. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Used to have a Costco card, but as a single guy I was freezing alot of stuff and forgetting about it or using it later and stuff doesn't taste as good after being frozen. Anyways, I now do my big monthly purchases at Superstore - it is so much cheaper than everywhere else even compared to sale prices at the other places. I've noticed that Safeway now is promoting new "everyday low prices" on alot of stuff but it is still more expensive than anywhere else. What would be handy is if there was a place online comparing a basket of goods at each of the major grocery stores by city. I'm sure there is something like this online.......

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wal-Mart is aggressively cutting prices to compete with other retailers and to get more folks in their stores

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2010/05/29/14185576.html

Not sure if this is only for the stores in the States or across the board (I would think so)

On a related note, does anyone know why Wal-Mart closed Sam's Club stores in Canada? Tough competition from Costco? or the Recession?

I have never been to one (no Sam's Club in Ottawa AFAIK) and while I do have a Costco membership, I wouldn't mind checking out what they have. Perhaps next time I am in the States, I will be visiting a Sam's Club AND a Cosco and see what products they carry down there that we don't typically get here.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
On a related note, does anyone know why Wal-Mart closed Sam's Club stores in Canada? Tough competition from Costco? or the Recession?
I have been to both Costco and Sam's club while living in the US and I found Sam's club to be quite inferior to Costco.
For the same price or a little more, why wouldn't someone just get Costco instead of Sam's.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have been to both Costco and Sam's club while living in the US and I found Sam's club to be quite inferior to Costco.
For the same price or a little more, why wouldn't someone just get Costco instead of Sam's.
When you meant *inferior*, do you mean Sam's Club does not have competitive prices like Costco or it does not carry as many products or service level is not the same? or maybe a combination of everything?

Like i said, i have never been to one so I will reserve my judgment. Some more competition is certainly always welcome although I don't know if Wal-Mart will consider doing this again i.e. Sam's Club presence in Canada. I know some Wal-Mart stores are expanding to become SuperCentres.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
When you meant *inferior*, do you mean Sam's Club does not have competitive prices like Costco or it does not carry as many products or service level is not the same? or maybe a combination of everything?
Combination of many things....variety, quality, service.
Price was perhaps competitive.
In general, I am not a fan of membership based grocery stores but if I had to pick, I'd do Costco rather than Sam's.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My wife goes in to down grade or cancel her costco card and keeps getting 3 months added. Think this has been going for close to year.

·
Banned
113 Posts
I've seen this kind of crazy before as well.Except I don't think it means crazy, nor is it a waste of money. I think it just means he lived through the depression.

There's a different perspective when you've been hungry and without food, nor any money to buy some...and had that happen numerous times over the course of years. I suspect if you've been through that and all of a sudden have excess money and food, then salting away lots of food doesn't make you crazy - it makes you a smart planner.

I don't do it myself :). But I like the idea of insurance, which is what that is.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts