Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy seafood and usually eat salmon and tuna. Those are tasty fish, but they are more expensive. There are also some other problems with them. Tuna are the top of the food chain and accumulate more toxins (notably mercury). Salmon are great too, but they are mostly farmed. There are environmental and sustainability concerns with both tuna and salmon.

Recently I thought that I should start eating sardines. They're caught in the wild, have excellent oils/fats, are high in calcium and generally have excellent nutritional traits. Sardines are also one of the lowest mercury fish.

Does anyone here enjoy eating sardines? If so, can you share how you eat them or prepare them?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Does anyone here enjoy eating sardines? If so, can you share how you eat them or prepare them?
I do, though I usually prefer the tinned sardines that are usually in tomato, or lemon sauce. We've bought some larger frozen sardines that can be grilled or air fried in an air fryer.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I like sardines occasionally on toast or in a toasted sandwich with Boston lettuce and sliced tomato. But I like kippers better. Brunswick seafood snacks, kippered or golden smoked. The kippers being darker and stronger flavored.
I have them for breakfast with poached or fried eggs in place of bacon or sausage. As you point out, they are probably healthier than pork products and lower in calories. Another way to cook them if you are in a hurry is to butter a soup plate crack in an egg or two, add the kippers and microwave. Or put a pot on the stove with half an inch of water, set the soup plate in there, cover and poach for a few minutes.
You can find the seafood snacks next to the sardines in most supermarkets.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do, though I usually prefer the tinned sardines that are usually in tomato, or lemon sauce. We've bought some larger frozen sardines that can be grilled or air fried in an air fryer.
I like the idea of the ones in the tins. Do you eat them with salads or something?

Just saw your post @Rusty O'Toole ... great ideas!

Sitting in front of me is a pack of Brunswick sardines, only cost about $1. I'm thinking of ways to have them for breakfast tomorrow, maybe I'll keep it simple to start and have them with toast (I also have some nice bread ready to go). This is how exciting my winter is :)

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
A week or 2 ago I saw an interesting recipe on Youtube for a seafood stew or soup featuring canned mackerel. I don't know that I have eaten canned mackerel before but the recipe looked interesting. In these days of staying home and living off stored food it might be worth looking into.
I just did a search on Youtube for canned mackerel recipes and there are a lot of them. I did not recognize the one I saw earlier but there are plenty of ideas to choose from, no doubt they have sardine ideas too.

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
I like the idea of the ones in the tins. Do you eat them with salads or something?
Eat them straight up from the tin. I haven't had sardines in a long time, used to get the ones in tomato sauce. Also liked eating anchovy paste for a while but far too salty for me now. All I eat from a can now is tuna, about once a week and the rest is either fresh fish fillets (caught or store bought) or sushi.

Add: BTW, if you have a dutch or chinese food market around see if you can get some eel. They're different types of eel but both are good ... I little pricey now though.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Looking at some Youtube recipes I saw this one that looks good, Chef John's Pasta con le Sarde or Sicilian style pasta with sardines and fennel.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts

These are some of what we have in inventory at the moment. Good in a variety of ways. With egg and garlic rice is good for breakfast. Sardines from Portugal in olive oil are good.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I grew up in a Norwegian household, so of course, the best (when one can find them) are from Norway. My wife makes a fish loaf with canned mackerel. I have caught more than a few mackerel in Norway, where we preserved them by both canning and freezing.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are some of what we have in inventory at the moment. Good in a variety of ways. With egg and garlic rice is good for breakfast. Sardines from Portugal in olive oil are good.
Sardines + garlic rice is an interesting idea.

I bought the same Brunswick one shown in your photo. When you open one of those, how much of the oil do you include in your food?

·
Registered
197 Posts
@Rusty O'Toole, you might be my long lost uncle. I have Sardines for with eggs of all types every other day. My favourites are hot peppers, and spring water, if canned. However, I like uncanned, barbequed or fried.

This guy has some great can recipes-that I have enjoyed.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

Just saw your post @Rusty O'Toole ... great ideas!

Sitting in front of me is a pack of Brunswick sardines, only cost about $1. I'm thinking of ways to have them for breakfast tomorrow, maybe I'll keep it simple to start and have them with toast (I also have some nice bread ready to go). This is how exciting my winter is :)
Sometimes just as is, as a snack, other times as a sandwich.

Portugal is famous for their sardines, so if you ever visit, you can stock up. That being said, there may be a grocery store that specializes in European groceries and you can see if there is anything different you like instead of the normal New Brunswick sardines.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts