Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Is Saputo at P/E 27 and continuously climbing, expensive? I have been waiting patiently for a better price, but am getting serious FOMO as it breaks out again.
Bought Saputo in Jan 2009, @ $20.40 and $19.40, (up ~ 160% right now).......don't know if it's 'expensive' at this time, but we have observed that periodically, (and for apparently no solid reason), it'll drop a couple percentage points in a day and regain them in short time....(so far....past performance, and all that..)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Momentum works until it doesn't.

The one thing I worry about them is what happens when Canada's dairy protection ends to their profits.

I usually try not to buy any major companies above a PE of 20. History suggests they tend to underperform by a large margin compared to unloved stocks with low PEs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone know what has happened with Saputo? Yesterday it was at $62.66, today its at $32.09 on google finance it looks like its up 2.43% but in my IE Acc. its showing down 48.79%. I'm wondering if there was a split, but my IE Acc is still showing the same amount of shares.

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't believe there is another thread for Saputo. It doesn't seem to get much attention on this forum but I do know many hold it in their low yield high div growth portfolios. I noticed it is trading at SP seen back in 2015-2016. I am going to take a closer look but thought I would give the thread a bump in the meantime.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I have been buying between 30-32.
People are always going to eat dairy.
Sure, it's a slow growth business that needs to keep acquiring to grow... But that doesn't mean they won't.

You know it's going to be $35 again in the future. It's an easy 15% gain if you can wait and be happy with the garbage yield in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thanks @KaeJS.

I took sometime to look further last night and the stock has really stalled since it's high performance, High dividend growth era. It's payout ratio has increased significantly and it has diluted the company with share issuance for acquisitions. I guess it begs the question of whether it will stay with it's slow growth low dividend model or will earnings increase and it see significant improvement and value. I would agree that people are always going to eat dairy. It's a question of how much and how profitable the margin can be for Saputo and its shareholders. I am light on consumer defensive stocks and should inflation be sustained instead of transitional I would like to increase my allocation in this sector. In the meantime I will let my cash position stockpile. I believe there the next earnings date is not till February.

Saputo : Financial Results for the Second Quarter of Fiscal 2021 Ended September 30, 2020 | MarketScreener

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
They definitely have not been following a large path to growth. You have already identified the issues (debt, dilution).

I am playing this more as an immigration play, too.
Canada is bringing more people every year. Surely, profits SHOULD increase over time given everything is copacetic and their acquisitions prove to be at least somewhat fruitful.

However, I do know that some of their business is outside of Canada, which could be somewhat of a gamble since I don't know the competition that well for those areas.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I am in LAS, also another kinds staple food stock. It is down presently as well. Not flashy, but not likely to collapse either.
I wanted to buy this but I used WealthTrade and they don't offer this stock. For the longest time they also didn't offer AW.UN and it drove me insane.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts