Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
When a person is logged in, it's a different matter. It's normal to see your typical videos, that's what I also see when I'm logged in.

The issue I'm describing is the behaviour of the default, blank slate, when you aren't logged in and have no prior browsing history. The Russians are either paying top dollar to place their videos here, or have figured out the quirks of YT's algorithm to make their videos appear.
I know what you're saying.
I think you're wrong.
1. I don't think you've removed your prior browsing history based on computer fingerprint tracking, IP tracking and other non-cookie tracking methods

2. I cleared out my browser, used a new fresh browser and didn't see the Russian propaganda you claim is rampant.
Again I'm not saying it isn't there, I'm saying I didn't see it. Others report they don't see it in a fresh browser.

I honestly think you're either.
1. Being tracked, or adjacent to tracked and shown that content.
2. Not being truthful.

Based on the amount of extremist content you seem to find, I'd assume it's #1.
Plus I find it's easier to deal with people with Hanlons Razor.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I'm not saying you're stupid, I'm saying that you and I, when taking apparently similar tracking evasion techniques, see different videos. Logically we are either lying, or still being directly or indirectly tracked.

As far as me being some sort of pro Russia Plant, I was thrilled when Harper stood up to Putin, when all the other world leaders were cowering.

·
Registered
17,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I know what you're saying.
I think you're wrong.
. . .
I'm not saying you're stupid, I'm saying that you and I, when taking apparently similar tracking evasion techniques, see different videos. Logically we are either lying, or still being directly or indirectly tracked.
It's possible Youtube is using some kind of location or fingerprint tracking beyond just IP + browser. One thing occurred to me yesterday: I'm using the same DNS servers on all the computers I tried for these experiments. That can be used for some kinds of location or tracking. And there are other techniques they might be using as well which didn't occur to me.

Like I wrote earlier: I asked a few friends to try this, and about half were able to replicate my results. That's obviously not everyone, so I'm not surprised you don't see it. Perhaps it's location focused. Marketing campaigns can use all kinds of criteria, and it's possibly targeted in certain regions and not others.

There may indeed be a location tracking method here (which is still tracking me and you) even though we try countermeasures, meaning that location-focused recommendations or marketing are still working no matter what we do.

·
Registered
17,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
By the way, I can't replicate my previous results today. I don't see any of those Russia / Putin videos today, using the same method I did earlier.

The mysteries of targeted marketing campaigns!

·
Registered
12,901 Posts
Well, youtube's algorithm is mostly looking at what you watched previously, and using historical data of people who watched/"engaged" videos like you did, what other videos did they go on to watch and engage with. Optimizing for increased watch time. Also weighting for content that is monetizable by YT (advertiser friendly/higher CPM). The algorithm is not very smart at all when it comes to subject matter. There is some crude filtering as well for 'harmful' content, such as drugs, sexuality, guns, and now covid misinformation. The filtering is not all that sophisticated because even videos that debunk covid misinformation often get similarly suppressed/demonetized.

Absent watch history, they can generalize based on location/IP. But I would not count on incognito mode to truly anonymize you. Google could still be using IP and other clues. So even a VPN is not fool-proof either.

·
Registered
17,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Absent watch history, they can generalize based on location/IP. But I would not count on incognito mode to truly anonymize you. Google could still be using IP and other clues. So even a VPN is not fool-proof either.
Tracking technology has come a long way. But I do work in this area and am reasonably confident they were not able to uniquely track me (and certainly not my previous viewing history).

However, I suspect they were able to still track or estimate my location. Things like the DNS server can give it away, and although I changed my IP address, I did forget the DNS factor. The location is a major input in all of these algorithms, and also in marketing campaigns, so it wouldn't at all be surprising for people in some locations to see different content than others.

·
Registered
17,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The real Russian propaganda was not on you tube it was on CNN thinking Russia caused Trump to win the election.
The U.S. intelligence agencies (CIA, NSA, FBI), along with the Senate Intel Committee, both confirmed that Russia had an unprecedented level of interference in the 2016 elections.

The committee which wrote this report is headed by Republicans, not Democrats. Here is the PDF file of their report:

On page 47 you will find "Russian Leadership Intentions". Here are direct quotes:
  • "Moscow sought to denigrate then-candidate Clinton"
  • "Putin and the Russian Government demonstrated a preference for candidate Trump."
All the intelligence experts are saying that Russia interfered, and supported Trump.

·
Registered
17,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Additional notes to @:) lonewolf and @Prairie Guy ... Trump is lying to you.

How can you trust a man who lies repeatedly about Russia helping him with his election? He keeps saying it didn't happen, but all of the US intelligence agencies, and even the Republican-led Intelligence Committee, say Russia interfered and helped him.

Russia interfered at unprecedented levels.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Additional notes to @:) lonewolf and @Prairie Guy ... Trump is lying to you.

How can you trust a man who lies repeatedly about Russia helping him with his election? He keeps saying it didn't happen, but all of the US intelligence agencies, and even the Republican-led Intelligence Committee, say Russia interfered and helped him.

Russia interfered at unprecedented levels.

Both Face Book & Twitter are interfering with the election for Biden. How much censoring & how many accounts has Russia shut down on you tube, face book & twitter to help Trump win the election?

41 - 50 of 50 Posts