Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
I haven't seen any such videos either in my recommended feed. I actually used to see more RT (Russian propaganda network) and so on a few years ago when they invaded Ukraine. But, seeing as we are probably all living in Canada, such videos might be more targeted at US residents.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I'd be more concerned about anti American propaganda from Americans, particularly the Democrats. Trump has taken a strong pro American stance in international affairs while avoiding war, something none of his predecessors managed to do.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I don't get such videos in my normal YouTube, but I tried your experiment and opened both a Chrome incognito window and an Edge InPrivate window (I never use Edge normally). I didn't see any pro-Putin videos on the front page. I watched a video of a sheep jumping on a trampoline and then all my suggested videos were animal related. A couple of them had Russian titles, so I clicked on one about a porcupine thinking maybe it would get some Russian propaganda into my feed, but no, still all animal related.

I am behind a VPN that places me in Ontario.

Then I tried "moving" to Texas. Still no Russian propaganda except for one video completely in Russian which seemed to be about Nazi Germany, which I clicked on. This caused my homepage to start having suggested videos that were in Russian (both seemingly political but not about America and ones that did not seem political, such as a cute squirrel video) as well as videos in English about Nazi Germany. I kept clicking on various videos for a bit but was unable to get any propaganda.

I wonder what's causing you to get these videos?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I don't get such videos in my normal YouTube, but I tried your experiment and opened both a Chrome incognito window and an Edge InPrivate window (I never use Edge normally). I didn't see any pro-Putin videos on the front page. I watched a video of a sheep jumping on a trampoline and then all my suggested videos were animal related. A couple of them had Russian titles, so I clicked on one about a porcupine thinking maybe it would get some Russian propaganda into my feed, but no, still all animal related.

I am behind a VPN that places me in Ontario.

Then I tried "moving" to Texas. Still no Russian propaganda except for one video completely in Russian which seemed to be about Nazi Germany, which I clicked on. This caused my homepage to start having suggested videos that were in Russian (both seemingly political but not about America and ones that did not seem political, such as a cute squirrel video) as well as videos in English about Nazi Germany. I kept clicking on various videos for a bit but was unable to get any propaganda.

I wonder what's causing you to get these videos?
The simplest explanation is that it's all the conspiracy and radical content James or nearby people are viewing, so it's giving them more of that content.

Simply switching to Incognito mode or a different device isn't going to fool the tracking.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Who defended them?
Who claimed they don't exist?

You're literally making stuff up.
He tends to do that. All we did was explain how algorithms work and since he doesn't like the answer he resorts to his default accusation of calling people far-right.

If james is getting Russian propaganda then it's directly related to his viewing history.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm getting the same results as James.

The first video is the sheep on the trampoline. But the Putin/umbrella video is 10th in the list.

I think the Youtube algorithm picks videos that are "catchy" with images or captions that grab your attention.
-There's a giant raspberry with ants
-A German Shepherd in a car
-Will Smith and a chick with big boobs.
-A giant alligator
-Putin explaining why he has no umbrella.

All of these are attention getting, and Youtube wants you to click into them.

I'm not sure I'd call that propaganda. But who knows?

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
I'd be more concerned about anti American propaganda from Americans, particularly the Democrats. Trump has taken a strong pro American stance in international affairs while avoiding war, something none of his predecessors managed to do.
I think you mean Trump has taken a pro-Trump stance. He is weakening US standing and influence and China (and lesser degree Europe, Russia, regional players like Iran and Saudi) is filling the vacuum.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I think you mean Trump has taken a pro-Trump stance. He is weakening US standing and influence and China (and lesser degree Europe, Russia, regional players like Iran and Saudi) is filling the vacuum.
Oh yeah, he's definitely screwing it.
But it's clear his intention is America First. He's just doing a really bad job.

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
The goal of the Russians is to sow distrust by Americans in their government and Trump has certainly done that for Putin.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm getting the same results as James.

The first video is the sheep on the trampoline. But the Putin/umbrella video is 10th in the list.
Yes that umbrella one is showing up pretty frequently in my experiments. It changes over the days.

I enlisted a few friends to try this experiment more broadly, with people located throughout North America on a variety of internet connections.

Result is: about half of them see the Russian propaganda content, half don't. Sometimes it takes one or two refreshes of the main screen. Remember that you usually have to scroll a bit for the web page to populate with videos, before CTRL+F will find a text string match. Scroll down a bit, then do a CTRL+F text search for "putin" and "russia". Then try refreshing the screen.

Anyway, seems that about half of people see it. None of this is surprising since the intelligence agencies have told us that Russia is very active in social media and there's been plenty of reporting (e.g. Reuters) on this kind of content being all over Youtube.

I just said they don't show up in MY feed.
I don't see them, I don't watch them.

Never said they don't exist.
Yeah and my broader sample, with friends trying this, showed about half of them seeing it. Plus this isn't about your feed. Individual feeds are already better tuned to what people want. I'm talking about no cookies, Incognito model, fresh Youtube selections by default.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Yeah and my broader sample, with friends trying this, showed about half of them seeing it. Plus this isn't about your feed. Individual feeds are already better tuned to what people want. I'm talking about no cookies, Incognito model, fresh Youtube selections by default.
Well my feed doesn't show them, incognito doesn't (at least in the first 80 videos). Mozilla with private mode doesn't either.
I'm sure there are some out there, but I don't see them.
Maybe your friends, with their similar views get hit with the same extremist content.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The goal of the Russians is to sow distrust by Americans in their government and Trump has certainly done that for Putin.
Russia somehow managed to convince Hillary and the Democrats to create a fake document linking Trump to Russia. The ruse was so successful that most of the media ran with it and the DOJ even launched a 3-year investigation into it. At the end they found nothing.

So yes, Russia managed to completely dupe the Democrats and the media who had no idea they were being played even though everyone else knew better.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Russia somehow managed to convince Hillary and the Democrats to create a fake document linking Trump to Russia. The ruse was so successful that most of the media ran with it and the DOJ even launched a 3-year investigation into it. At the end they found nothing.

So yes, Russia managed to completely dupe the Democrats and the media who had no idea they were being played even though everyone else knew better.
If you mean the Steele dossier that was created and paid for at the request of the Hillary Clinton campaign in an effort to distract attention from her Email server scandal and smear Trump. They handed it out to their tame media accomplices but it was such an obvious fake they wouldn't touch it. 15 minutes checking revealed it was fictional and libelous. So they got their pals in the FBI to announce they were investigating it. Then the media could report, truthfully, "FBI investigates Steele dossier" and they were away to the races. Every reporter and FBI agent made it their job to investigate. 2 years and $50 million later they turned up.... nothing. A retired police detective I know, laughed about this and said "if you investigate something for 2 months and don't find anything, there is nothing to find".

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Would you be happy if Trump started wars in Korea, China, the Middle East, and Russia?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
If you mean the Steele dossier that was created and paid for at the request of the Hillary Clinton campaign in an effort to distract attention from her Email server scandal and smear Trump. They handed it out to their tame media accomplices but it was such an obvious fake they wouldn't touch it. 15 minutes checking revealed it was fictional and libelous. So they got their pals in the FBI to announce they were investigating it. Then the media could report, truthfully, "FBI investigates Steele dossier" and they were away to the races. Every reporter and FBI agent made it their job to investigate. 2 years and $50 million later they turned up.... nothing. A retired police detective I know, laughed about this and said "if you investigate something for 2 months and don't find anything, there is nothing to find".
Most people know that's what really happened. A few people here are either trolls or the most gullible people in the world because they keep denying the facts.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Probably your feed is messed up Mr. Matt. Maybe it was hacked. You should get that looked into.
When a person is logged in, it's a different matter. It's normal to see your typical videos, that's what I also see when I'm logged in.

The issue I'm describing is the behaviour of the default, blank slate, when you aren't logged in and have no prior browsing history. The Russians are either paying top dollar to place their videos here, or have figured out the quirks of YT's algorithm to make their videos appear.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
When a person is logged in, it's a different matter. It's normal to see your typical videos, that's what I also see when I'm logged in.

The issue I'm describing is the behaviour of the default, blank slate, when you aren't logged in and have no prior browsing history. The Russians are either paying top dollar to place their videos here, or have figured out the quirks of YT's algorithm to make their videos appear.
So you think Russia is deliberately targeting you. Maybe they are based on your posting history....but I don't know why they bother since you've already drank the Kool-Aid :p

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to target those of us who still aren't believers?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts