Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have ETFs in my RRSP account, my question is when I retire(planning at 55) and start withdrawling should I be moving ETFs to something else to reduce brokerage fees from monthly withdrawls

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
If you move chunks of your ETF portfolio into a Claymore bond fund ETF (I like CBO), you can utilize the SWP (systematic withdrawal program) to withdraw funds periodically without paying a commission. Your broker may charge a commission to withdraw the funds from your account. If they do, I recommend switching brokers.

Otherwise, you can just make trades every quarter (as part of rebalancing, etc.), withdraw your allowance for the quarter and put it into a high interest savings account. I wouldn't sweat the commissions, unless you're with an expensive brokerage, in which case the problem is the brokerage, not the ETFs.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you move chunks of your ETF portfolio into a Claymore bond fund ETF (I like CBO), you can utilize the SWP (systematic withdrawal program) to withdraw funds periodically without paying a commission. Your broker may charge a commission to withdraw the funds from your account. If they do, I recommend switching brokers.

Otherwise, you can just make trades every quarter (as part of rebalancing, etc.), withdraw your allowance for the quarter and put it into a high interest savings account. I wouldn't sweat the commissions, unless you're with an expensive brokerage, in which case the problem is the brokerage, not the ETFs.

what about getting income from dividends and not withdrawaling, I guess the question is would I make sure I have a good portion of dividend income investments prior to retirement

1 - 4 of 4 Posts