Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally get a routine dental cleaning every 6 months. Ideally (in normal times) I would have gone in May/June, but I obviously skipped that.

What are the rest of you doing, when your time for cleaning comes -- will you go?

Argument #1: if it's not essential (no pain, no issue of immediate concern) then defer and wait for later.

Argument #2: if you're due for a cleaning, go now while Canada's numbers are relatively low, before the cases rise or another lockdown happens in winter. If COVID numbers are bad this winter, you might end up over 1 year between cleanings, which means a lot of plaque builds up, potentially more tooth decay and gum damage.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I went and had my cleaning in June. With the measures they took for protection, I would say going to the grocery store as more dangerous.

I had to wait in the car until appointment time and then phone them and they unlock the door for you. You have to wear a mask at all times except while you're sitting in the dentist chair. You're the only one allowed in the waiting area. The admin people are behind a shield and they do a survey and then allow you into the back room. They had installed a special air pressure and filtration system installed in the premises. The dental person had full PPE, mask and shield on the whole time.

Seemed pretty safe to me compared to something like going to the grocery store and being around a bunch of people I don't know.

ltr

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
^ Any idea if a (the) dental assistant was required for actual dental work? Or was it just the dentist alone. Did you see them? Any idea.

I'm glad to see the dental hygienist got full PPE because there was some controversy (in ON at least) about them NOT getting full PPE versus the dentists.

I have been holding off my cleaning as need to have dental work done first.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Our kids have gone in for cleanings and cavities. We‘ve had 2 cases in the last month so felt pretty secure. The cleanings are manual...they don’t use their specialized equipment (water blaster?) for the hard to reach areas brought on by wearing braces or lingual arches.

kids are also visiting orthodontists Monthly. If anyone knows sanitation it’s dental care workers. Probably safer than most places.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I went yesterday as it happens. I felt totally safe and the experience was pretty much identical to what like_to_retire outlined. They were very careful and all had full PPE.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I will go when they call, my dentist is still working through its backlog and at some point they will call me to go in. Not worried at all, my guess our dental offices are pretty well santized for clients to enter and get worked on.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
^ Any idea if a (the) dental assistant was required for actual dental work? Or was it just the dentist alone. Did you see them? Any idea.

I'm glad to see the dental hygienist got full PPE because there was some controversy (in ON at least) about them NOT getting full PPE versus the dentists.

I have been holding off my cleaning as need to have dental work done first.
I went 2 weeks ago (after my cleaning visit) for a crown as I broke a tooth. There was both the dentist and the assistant doing the job.

Also of note that they didn't use water spray blasting during the cleaning as this puts water droplets into the air and the Dental Association (as the dentist told me) require the room to be cleaned and empty for 3 hours before they're allowed to use it again. Without the water blaster they are allowed to use the room again in an hour (I believe he said). They have some very strict guidelines laid out my their Dental Association on top of what the government requires.

My dentist had this special air system installed that drew air out of each room individually and exhausted the air outside. Each entrance opening of the dental chair rooms had a heavy plastic membrane on it that you unzipped and entered and then closed when you were inside. This special system allowed them a reduced down time for each room.

ltr

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Our dentists closed down for several months-only available for emergs. Open now but we have not made new appts for our checkups. We see no issue is extending or six month checkups to nine or twelve until such time as we feel comfortable. We are in not rush.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Our dentists closed down for several months-only available for emergs. Open now but we have not made new appts for our checkups. We see no issue is extending or six month checkups to nine or twelve until such time as we feel comfortable. We are in not rush.
Yeah, my dentist closed too, but when they re-opened and it was time for my cleaning, I thought about whether they would be more diligent about all the annoying extra effort they had to take care of every day once they had done it for a year and were sick of it, or would they do a more thorough job at the start when it was novel? What do you think - would they start to get sloppy about completely cleaning the dental chair after doing it day after day after day...........

ltr

·
Registered
979 Posts
My dentist is still closed. They had to make major changes for COVID-19... I dunno if that involved some kind of renovations.

·
Banned
434 Posts
The Covid numbers are all fake. So no concern regarding catching a cold. The biggest concern is the fake testing making you have to be locked down for 2 weeks. If they try to put you on a ventilator fight them for all your worth. Ventilators are being used to kill people to get the numbers up. Stay away from hospitals

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dentist is still closed. They had to make major changes for COVID-19... I dunno if that involved some kind of renovations.
Interesting. I don't even have a dentist in the new area I moved to, so I wonder how possible it is to find someone who will take a new client.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts