Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 310,000 dollars in total from selling my real estate properties. I am not planning to purchase any real estate at least for 2 years ( I have feeling that the prices will go down significantly in few years) and may not even need this amount for down payment. I want to invest this amount safely and generate at least 8-10% of annual return. What are my choices. I will appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
may not even need this amount for down payment.
Why would you even think of a down payment if you had that kind of cash , unless your thinking of spending 3 or 4 million or so , paying cash would be you biggest return.

I want to invest this amount safely and generate at least 8-10% of annual return. What are my choices.
There's this guy named Bernie Madoff , he can get you 10% per year , wait , he's busy for the next few years.;)

Seriously , I would invest in REIT's if I had that kind of cash , in fact I have :eek: , and they are paying me more than 10% currently.
I have one REIT which is paying me well over 20% , there is always some risk involved tho if you want the higher returns.

·
Registered
546 Posts
To clarify the subtext of the responses above ... There is a basic principle of a "risk/return tradeoff".

The return you are promised, or expect, is directly related to the probability of losing you money. The reason government GICs pay such low interest now is because ALL the other investment possibilities are looking soooo risky that investors are bidding up the price (lowering return) of the least risky options.

Until you appreciate this tradeoff you will be the sucker who falls for get-rich-quick schemes. Learn to identify risk in all your investments.

It seems clear that you have never opened a broker's account or bought stocks or debt. Now that real-estate is not a good place to be, maybe it is time to start learning about other investments. I will not recommend any security in particular because you have a lot of learning to do BEFORE buying. I would start with preferred shares.

Until then stick with GICs. I saw HomeCapital offering 3.5% roughly. Even evaluating GICs is tricky now because the banks purposely make them complicated. Learn how to compare them.

·
Banned
701 Posts
I have 310,000 dollars in total from selling my real estate properties. I am not planning to purchase any real estate at least for 2 years ( I have feeling that the prices will go down significantly in few years) and may not even need this amount for down payment. I want to invest this amount safely and generate at least 8-10% of annual return. What are my choices. I will appreciate any suggestions.
No/low fee index fund.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I pretty much exemplify the term "rookie investor". I'm in my mid-30's and am just now beginning to become interested in growing my money. Just today, I took an initial foray into mutual funds by purchasing some TD e-series funds. I have $90000 in a GIC maturing in two years, and with that money I will pay off my mortgage. Without a mortgage, our household savings rate should be in excess of $5000 a month - we are able to save $4000 an month now. Previously, I would have simply stuck this money in our "high interest" account, but now I am not satisfied with that. I have been lurking on sites like this for a couple of months now, and I realize that I still have so damn much to learn.

My fiance and myself live WAY below our means, and we are really struggling with what to do with our windfall of funds. Don't get me wrong, its a good problem to have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts