Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
We are semi-rural, and have non-fibre internet. Old school, but our 2-user 15Mbps internet still works flawlessly :) If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)
Sure but then you could get better internet for cheaper.. or maybe the Cdn telcos will be forced to lower prices..

You can get by for awhile on slower internet but it becomes increasingly difficult as technology adjust to make use of the improving tech. The websites today are designed with the assumption that the majority have upgraded from dial up internet of the 90s

With low latency internet the processing can now be done elsewhere. This can then reduce the cost/weight/battery of the devices etc

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
For those quoting under $100 for Internet/Phone/TV, how can that be done legally in Canada. Especially the TV part. If we dumped our Shaw Direct TV service, we would be down to $45 for internet/phone. We have an older TV, but do have a Firestick, so can watch Netflix and other stuff but mostly have to pay extra for it. To get actual TV over internet, we would have to use something illegal like Kodi.

If I am wrong, please advise. I would love to get TV for less than the $73 we are paying on top of the $45 forStart internet and Ooma.

Hey m3s - We don't have dial-up :)

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Doesn't seem like it. Cost seems about par for course. Don't sweat over it - just pay the bills :)

Just like a lot of threads, your thread got Hi-Jacked.

·
Registered
703 Posts
For those quoting under $100 for Internet/Phone/TV, how can that be done legally in Canada. Especially the TV part. If we dumped our Shaw Direct TV service, we would be down to $45 for internet/phone. We have an older TV, but do have a Firestick, so can watch Netflix and other stuff but mostly have to pay extra for it. To get actual TV over internet, we would have to use something illegal like Kodi.

If I am wrong, please advise. I would love to get TV for less than the $73 we are paying on top of the $45 forStart internet and Ooma.

Hey m3s - We don't have dial-up :)
we‘re about $45 for tv. We use Bell satellite. Their basic plan is about $20. And for an extra $20, I get to pick 10 more channels. We get the major cdn and US networks, plus the 10 extra I want. I was hooked on tsn and Sportsnet....that’s where the real costs are. Ive found ways to watch the odd game when they aren’t on CBC.

when I stepped back and realized I was watching 2-3 hours of Netflix a day for $13 a month, paying $80 a month for an hour of news on TV seemed wasteful.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
All the news networks are streaming for free now. With a smart tv or smart device you just stream from their app. I stream CBC, Reuters, BNN etc and Haystack also aggregates local news highlights and all the above plus many new internet sources that make network news look a bit stale

I believe you can subscribe to most sports through their apps now and you probably get far more content that way for cheaper especially if you can focus on a few sports. Free sports like CBC and RedbullTV is enough for me.

For example I can stream any rally racing free but dad wants to watch Nascar which is locked down for some reason. When I flip through all his 1000 satellite network tv channels it seems like really 12 channels of old reruns. Most of the good new original stuff has moved to streaming imo

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I get more new movies on amazon than I can watch from opting for slower/combined deliveries. Oddly slow delivery in continental US is often faster than prime in some places anyways

You can stream in-theater movies now but it's like $20 I believe. My internet provider unlocked a bunch of new 4k movies during lockdown.. I just wait until they are free or at least down to $5

I have more free TV than I can watch.. yet I watch YouTube more then anything

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
we‘re about $45 for tv. We use Bell satellite. Their basic plan is about $20. And for an extra $20, I get to pick 10 more channels. We get the major cdn and US networks, plus the 10 extra I want. I was hooked on tsn and Sportsnet....that’s where the real costs are. Ive found ways to watch the odd game when they aren’t on CBC.

when I stepped back and realized I was watching 2-3 hours of Netflix a day for $13 a month, paying $80 a month for an hour of news on TV seemed wasteful.
At Shaw Direct Satellite, it might be priced a little differently, but it comes to same thing. If you want TSN, SN and golf channel you pay a lot more. No sport now, so only time I turn TV on is at Happy Hour - about 5:30 and watch Global or CNN (or switch between the two). Then at 6pm watch our local TV which is now on Global. Again flip back and for the and see what Mr Blitzer is on about. Sometimes go to Firestick and check Sky News for news in UK and elsewhere. Should check if Gem and others provide all we need at present. Mostly get news on line though, so that $73 for Shaw is over the top. We have Netflix through family account (no cost to us), but so far this year watched 2 short series and about 3 movies. Maybe I should put Shaw back on vacation standby for a few months while sport is off the air.....

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Global has an app Global Go. Haven't used it but I bet the news is there.

It's also on Haystack app. You put in your location and you can select what local news sources you want. Besides all the traditional network news you pay for like BNN, Bloomberg, CNN etc.. there's non traditional ones like yahoo finance, newsy, amazelab. It does a pretty good job of aggregating clips based on your preferences and what is trending without all the filler of watching 1 source. It also highlights live current events like corona updates

It's also good because you can select all the stocks you follow and it will shows news from any source on those stocks/companies

21 - 32 of 32 Posts