Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have cable, internet & home phone pkg. with Rogers. I have a 3-yr promo pkg. ending next month so, as much as I HATED to, I phoned in today to see what my renewal options were. Apparently my current pkg. (VIP?) was "grandfathered" in 3 yrs ago. To renew basically what I have now, I'd now be getting 75u internet, premier tv (170+ channels?) & home phone.
My Current price is $138/month all-in, incl. tax.
Renewal price ( for 1yr) would be $173 all-in.
After 1hr 57min on phone- mostly waiting!- I "negotiated" them down to $154/ month.
I dunno, how'd I do? can anyone relate?馃お

Registered
It looks pretty good. We changed over from VIP to Ignite last year.

Our plan cost $204.86 all in.

Internet is 500 mps download and unlimited.

Phone has caller ID, call waiting and unlimited free calls in Canada.

TV has 157 channels (including 45 flex channels that can be changed to different channels), plus HBO/Crave ($20.00) and 2 extra modems. ($8 each)

We also have Netflix and Amazon Prime but pay them separately.

It looks like we are pretty close in price, but our internet download is faster and you have more TV channels.

Tell them you want to try out HBO and see if they will give you free 3 months. Also get free installation if you can.

If you want to get tv in more than one room, you will need to rent extra boxes at $8 each a month.

Each box is matched up to one specific television.

Registered
You will enjoy the voice remote and much, much faster television guide with Ignite.

The voice remote is pretty cool. You just say "raptors" to get the basketball game or "war movies" to get war movies.......it works like that.

Registered
Then when you get it all set up......order a 58 inch TV and wall mount from Dell online and have someone put it up on the wall at the foot of your bed.

70 inch screen you say......now you are talking.

Registered
If you are not actually downloading things (movies, songs, video games, photos)....then internet speed is virtually irrelevant. Don鈥檛 fall for their marketing and think you need more.

we stream.....sometimes up to 3 devices at once with a 10mbs speed. I didnt Know this til we moved To a rural area. previously, in a large suburban city, I always fought for more speed.

Registered
Yea, I don't know. Maybe it works for PVR capability or games or something. One downside is if the cable goes out.......everything goes out.

Registered
If you are not actually downloading things (movies, songs, video games, photos)....then internet speed is virtually irrelevant. Don鈥檛 fall for their marketing and think you need more.

we stream.....sometimes up to 3 devices at once with a 10mbs speed. I didnt Know this til we moved To a rural area. previously, in a large suburban city, I always fought for more speed.
When speed was an issue (dialup? ;) ) I also always looked for more. Now we have 15Mbps down 2Mbps up. That costs us $40/month. I could upgrade to 40Mbps for $50. But why? Streaming works fine. Seldom any need for large downloads these days. We sponge of kids Netflix sometimes, and that also works fine.

For phone, we have Ooma for about $5.00/month. Excellent VOIP service with voicemail, call logs, etc

For TV, we have Shaw Direct. Least expensive package at $73.00. Really a waste, because we hardly watch it. Just news and some sports.

Total about $119, but with less speed and less features than Jargey & others. But would we be happier if we had them?

Ooma and Internet on cable. Shaw is satellite. Only other backup - cell phones (no data)

Registered
It's interesting to see what Rogers and the telcos are looking to get from those with the traditional cable/phone/internet bundles vs the younger internet/data crowd. In the US I pay $35 USD/month and it comes with a free 4K streaming device with the fancy voice remote (after using apple tv os and remote it is practically unusable though) and free wifi across US. US also has free google voice so I don't even have to pay $1.50/month for a traditional phone number

Starlink should finally shake things up in Canada. Bandwidth is no longer the constraint (bandwidth refers more to the number of devices than speed) Starlink will be low latency (speed). Think cloud computing and remote control speed. There will probably be a large setup cost for the directional antenna but then you will have cheaper faster internet anywhere in Canada. Add an Apple TV or Nvidia Shield to your TV and any voice communication app and you are set

Registered
The telcos can charge because of all the people like me who read what you posted and say.........huh ?

Buy this, attach that, include those, this dongle, that dangle,............nope. We can't figure it all out and just pay.

Registered
In the US I pay $35 USD/month and it comes with a free 4K streaming device with the fancy voice remote and free wifi across US.

US also has free google voice so I don't even have to pay $1.50/month for a traditional phone number

Starlink should finally shake things up in Canada.
I have seen packages advertised by Spectrum when we are in USA for winter. Some appeared very cheap (like $35/month), but maybe just promotions? Looks like an Internet/TV/phone bundle is US$99.97/month or C$140.

I have free Google Voice (works here in Canada too), but need wifi or a cell data plan for it to work. Hardly use it because we have free LD on Ooma and Speakout (30c/min) anyway plus Skype.

Starlink will apparently not be targeted at urban areas. That would take way too many satellites. For more rural areas, I have read that the receiver will cost about US$200 in USA and the monthly fee will be about US$80/month. Apparently available late this year, but for Canada, perhaps dependent on approvals from our government and agencies which could take years. Don't see how it will provide legal access to network TV. I realize a lot of young people won't care about that.

Registered
It's interesting to see what Rogers and the telcos are looking to get from those with the traditional cable/phone/internet bundles vs the younger internet/data crowd. In the US I pay $35 USD/month and it comes with a free 4K streaming device with the fancy voice remote (after using apple tv os and remote it is practically unusable though) and free wifi across US. US also has free google voice so I don't even have to pay $1.50/month for a traditional phone number

Starlink should finally shake things up in Canada. Bandwidth is no longer the constraint (bandwidth refers more to the number of devices than speed) Starlink will be low latency (speed). Think cloud computing and remote control speed. There will probably be a large setup cost for the directional antenna but then you will have cheaper faster internet anywhere in Canada. Add an Apple TV or Nvidia Shield to your TV and any voice communication app and you are set
You are totally right about the rip offs from the cable packages and older ways.
We are just on the verge of getting my dad off his old analog Shaw cable ($118 for nothing), and Telus phone ($50). Its become such a rip off, but he has to have his specific channels but didn't want to go digital. As his prices went up again, he wants to look at cheaper options.

We will be getting him an alternative service provider with 60mbs internet, VOIP phone long distance, and with a couple of special subscriptions. We should be able to do it for under $70 all in. There's a huge set up though as he is very very non technical, so we had to set up a remote server at his house, and set up his favorites. We also have to get him a new tv, I am not sure if his TV is from this millennium. We could do it cheaper, but my dad wants it to look exactly like it was before and is easy to use(he can鈥檛 even use an iPad), so my spouse has to go through a lot of extra steps.

We use A smaller company for our service provider. 1000 mbs, use Hulu, Prime, and Netflix our phone is through the VOIP, everything is under $90. Again, my spouse likes to configure this stuff. We recently increased our bandwidth because we all work and school from home and the load was too much. We all had video calls and multiple devices going on at the same time. Once we return to the office and school we will drop it down and it go down by $25 I think.

Registered
It won't target urban because they already have terrestrial fiber, but +10,000 satellites will indeed cover urban areas just well as rural. There will be less coverage at the poles at least to start. For comparison sake the current satellite internet in Canada has 2 old satellites. Starlink will be able to charge much less because of the sheer number of potential customers.

You have to be in the US to sign up for Google voice, then you can use it in Canada. The telcos must have lobbied to block it in Canada. I only need google voice or voip to receive calls from boomers or boomer business on traditional POTS. Many business and younger generation have indeed discovered the myriad of free voice communication that is now available

Registered
I know some people are up to snuff on all the technology and enjoy all the options, but personally I suffer from entertainment information overload.

I lay in bed and think I will listen to music. Then I have to decide if I listen to a station on Stingray Music, Sirius XM, Google Music, Spotify or TuneIn radio.

Then I think maybe I will watch a movie instead and by the time I browse through the listings in Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO/Crave and Hollywood Suite, I am too tired to watch.

Our new car has about 7 ways to turn the channel on the radio. I contemplate if I am using the "best" method. Could I be more "efficient" by doing it another way ?

I get out of the car and walk a few steps and the cellphone rings. I answer but can't hear anything. The voice is playing in the car I am no longer sitting in via bluetooth.

Too much choice isn't always good.

Registered
True about the info overload. My dad has very specific channels he wants. Trying to find them, my spouse found this subscription for 10000+ stations for $10. In this case less is definitely more. It would take my poor dad hours to surf through the channels. He still likes going through every station just in case. My spouse is spending many nights trying to tweet it. He a masters in technology and is still taking a lot of time. I have know idea how a technophobe like my dad could even try.

Registered
1000 mbs, use Hulu, Prime, and Netflix our phone is through the VOIP, everything is under $90. Again, my spouse likes to configure this stuff. We recently increased our bandwidth because we all work and school from home and the load was too much. We all had video calls and multiple devices going on at the same time. Once we return to the office and school we will drop it down and it go down by $25 I think.
Is Hulu in Canada now? I get Hulu for "free" with US spotify ($10 USD/month before discounts) I could live without both but I find it worth the price. I find Hulu is basically network TV converted to digital so I get the few shows that aren't already on Prime etc

1000MBps is a lot! I was offered this for slightly more per month but I would need a faster modem and router anyways. If you have a family all streaming HD video on multiple devices or want to watch 4k video in multiple rooms it starts to make sense. Starlink is supposed to be 1000MBps btw

Registered
It won't target urban because they already have terrestrial fiber, but +10,000 satellites will indeed cover urban areas just well as rural.
You are right - there will eventually be a LOT of satellites (astronomers are not happy!). According to Musk, despite the number, they will not have the bandwidth to handle the high throughput that would be required from an urban center. This will of course reduce the sheer number of potential customers when you consider just how many live in urban areas vs rural.

We are semi-rural, and have non-fibre internet. Old school, but our 2-user 15Mbps internet still works flawlessly :) If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

Registered
Is Hulu in Canada now? I get Hulu for "free" with US spotify ($10 USD/month before discounts) I could live without both but I find it worth the price. I find Hulu is basically network TV converted to digital so I get the few shows that aren't already on Prime etc

1000MBps is a lot! I was offered this for slightly more per month but I would need a faster modem and router anyways. If you have a family all streaming HD video on multiple devices or want to watch 4k video in multiple rooms it starts to make sense. Starlink is supposed to be 1000MBps btw
I am not sure if Hulu is Canada officially. I know we pay a subscription for it but I leave the tech to my spouse. It鈥檚 actually one of the ones we plan get rid of because we have too many choices. It was really ne of the first subscriptions we had many years ago to replace our cable. Now, we keep adding so need to trim down.

1000mbs is a lot. We had 150 MB鈥檚 which was fine pre isolation. Is was a little slow and at times as the kids started using more tech. It wasnt enough with all of us at home. We counted something like 34 devices all streaming or video conferencing or something The cost to jump from 500 to 1000 MB鈥檚 was $5 more.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts