Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tv, home phone, internet pkg with Rogers (no, NO CELL!) pretty basic paln , no bells whistles.
Been on a 3-yr set monthly pricing plan which is ending soon. $130/month if you must know!
I dread the thought of dealing with them for a new deal! rather get the virus I think!!! (no...just joking, but you know what I mean)
I tried the ol' switching to competition, blah blah blah last time etc. & they grand-fathered me in for another 3 years then.
Ideally what I'd LIKE to get is the exact same bundle features I have now...for another 3 years...but at an EVEN lower monthly price. what are my chances? have prices been coming down the last 3 years or what?advice?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes all these companies are horrible to deal with when your package is up. I fight with them at the end of each contract. I find the best way to negotiate with them is when you are actually willing to leave them for another competitor. What I normally do is shop at Bell and see what package they have and see how it compares and how low you can get them to go being that you are with Rogers at this point and tell them you are happy. Then I call Rogers and ask to speak with someone in customer retention department and only deal with them. (tell the other service rep you are leaving and need a final offer so that they do transfer you). In my experience i usually get the same package offered with an increase of about $10. 00 a month more which I think is fair at this point for me. Again I am negotiating and I really don't want to leave at this time so this is why I believe 10 bucks is fair. If I was at the point (which I am getting very close to) where I was going to cut the cord then I would definitely try much harder.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
High data plans have become less expensive, but entry level data plans are more expensive to pay for it.

You don't say if you have a Rogers Ignite package. If not, you will have to sign up for one, as that is all they offer now.

We had a high bill each month and when we switched to an all in one Ignite package our bill went down $50 a month and the internet is unlimited (speed is capped though).

We pay about the same $130 per month as you are paying. We used to pay $180 a month for the VIP package.

We like it because there are no surprises in our bills anymore. The old internet was capped and we had some big bills when people downloaded large games to XBox.

The internet now is unlimited, but they cap the speeds at a certain level.

We did get a couple months of free Crave/HBO and Super Channel and free installation. That is about all they were willing to give.

The one downside is that when the cable goes down......everything goes down, including the home phone.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
We continued with the VIP plan for a long time with no contract. We switched when I discovered the Ignite package was cheaper and had unlimited internet.

The Ignite is pretty sweet with the voice remotes and all. You just say what you want to watch. It is very intuitive.......CNN, Youtube, war movies, Raptor game etc.

You can also use it to record shows, get apps like music, sports, weather. You would notice the viewing guide is instant, which is a lot better than the slow, clunky old one.

All in all, we find the Ignite a much better viewing package.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts